1978 KZ650 Cafe Racer "Jellybean"

Check out this topic might give you some insight on going with stock electronic ignition http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=12.45. I would suggest either coil pickup plate from the 81-83 650 & 750 as they are a direct fit and igniter from a 650,750 or even a 1000 works and then an advancer from a 650 or per this link http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=7449.0 . I was able to pickup a pickup plate and advancer from a 81-83 kz750 and igniter from 81-83 kz1000 for $50 on ebay. The bad part about the dyna's are they are more power hungry than the stock system and can put some stress on the kz's charging systems, this why I ended up going with the factory setup.

Oops forgot I told you about this on kz650.info, oh well hopefully will be good info for other people on this site.

CafeRacer650 said:
Thanks guys!! I'm glad this is already helpful, that's the goal, especially for KZ owners. In the sea of CB cafe racers, it's still a challenge finding detailed builds for KZs, let alone one's specific to your model and year. More coming soon.

Stevo! I thank you for this build thread, very informative and inspiring. I know you haven't updated for while and was just wondering how are you going with your ignition and timing problems? I am now battling similar issues with my KZ250 Twin project. I wish, I started with a complete running bike. General mods and tuning would have been a lot more fun and easier then a complete restoration!

I am subscribed and demand an update, come on mate... fire up!! Jellybean is calling for you. ;)

PS. Also wish I had a kick starter!

Hey detto! I'm glad this thread is helpful, and I apologize for not updating in quite a while. I'm a little over loaded with projects at the moment... here's what the garage looks like:

IMG_0230.JPG

CRX Track car project

AND what I've been working on lately (trying to get a vtec turbo to pass emissions is not easy)...

photo%2520%25286%2529.JPG

However, once the Del Sol has passed emissions, Jellybean is priority #1! I've actually decided to set aside the ignition problems for the moment and start working on the frame. I did decided to go electronic, I just haven't chewed that bullet just yet. Did you have any specific questions regarding the ignition? If so, give me a shout! :)

Haha fair enough mate! Most grease monkeys have multiple projects going on, totally understandable. Wow I'm surprised your wife isn't losing it, her garage is full of "scrap" and shes forced to park outside were there's random clumps of snow. Haha I kid :p

Love the little tekker turbos, a few of them are getting around here in oz. You should pass emission testing, if anything she should be more economical now? cant see much going wrong. Then again I don't know how it works in the states.

Unfortunately my KZ project has been a struggle so far, you've seen the condition shes in haha! Before I even get started with my ignition problems I still have to sort out my mechanical problems!

Had a look at Mr Sully's thread, it is true great minds think alike. I like his style and want to see more, though looks like his lost a bit of motivation. Been a while since his last update. I might have to go fire him up!! Would be nice to see all the KZ threads at the top for a change. Easier to help one another in terms of project and morale.

I wish you the best of luck with the emissions testing Stevo, and hopefully I'll get to read one of your Jellybean updates soon. Take your time mate, I'll be waiting!

Haven't touched it. Been resto-modding a car...

photo%2520%252851%2529.JPG

...but it's almost finished, so I'll be back on the KZ in about a month or so.

jeffw said:
Check out this topic might give you some insight on going with stock electronic ignition http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=12.45. I would suggest either coil pickup plate from the 81-83 650 & 750 as they are a direct fit and igniter from a 650,750 or even a 1000 works and then an advancer from a 650 or per this link http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=7449.0 . I was able to pickup a pickup plate and advancer from a 81-83 kz750 and igniter from 81-83 kz1000 for $50 on ebay. The bad part about the dyna's are they are more power hungry than the stock system and can put some stress on the kz's charging systems, this why I ended up going with the factory setup.

Oops forgot I told you about this on kz650.info, oh well hopefully will be good info for other people on this site.

The 550/650/750-4 ignition plates can be swapped. The 900/1000 are bigger in
diameter. The 550/650/750 plate can also be used in the400/440/750b. The wiring
is fairly simple.
#1 pickup coil/ red&yellow
#2 pickup coil/ blue&black
These go to the ignitor in pairs. You can swap pairs around, red&yellow pickup coil
to blue&black ignitor.
Power (+) to coil, coil (-) to ignitor (black/coil A, green/coil B)
I don't remember off the top of my head which pickup goes to what coil.
Power to ignitor (white/red stripe and red).
Ground (black/white stripe).

Well gentleman and lady, I'm back. I finally finished the CRX build, and now, the KZ project is back on. I found a local shop that specializes on restoring KZs, so I'm going to get it running again (smoking and all), and give it to them to iron out. I've lost patience with diagnosing the engine issues, and I'd just rather start working on the fun stuff! :) It's good to be back in the bike world again!

Here's the fruits of my labor:

Stephen_Dettman_1985_CRX_SI-2.jpg

Tail_129_1.jpg

Tail_129_8.jpg

CenterTree said:
I must say, that Honda turned out SWEET! Nice work! :)
My teenage son would love that thing. 8)

Thanks a lot! It turns a lot of head (surprisingly). You hardly see them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom