Cb360 Reassembly Help

For anyone who cares.
Here is the bike, my own personal hunk of junk, pretty much in its final form. I would still like to build a better exhaust but this will do for now. This thing is actually pretty quick on the back roads! It's a blast to ride. It is not pretty by no means, but it is certainly an accomplishment.

In the first photo of me riding down the drive way, you see me.. a happy individual going to terrorize the gravel roads.

In the second photo, you see me, a dog tired individual pushing a 300lb motorcycle up a 3000ft driveway to the farm (distance, not elevation) after pushing down said gravel roads because I forgot to check fuel levels. And we don't have cell service in the middle of nowhere TN.
Note that the second two photos were taken by the driveway security cameras, which promptly sends every photo to my brothers, both of which quickly laughed at me.

Attachments

• Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Junk 1.jpg
    Junk 1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 328
  • Junk 2.jpg
    Junk 2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 336
Does it run right (with fuel)? Is it safe? Is it going to be a show bike? Do you love it? Who cares what it looks like? To me, it looks like a blast.

That road looks like you used drain field gravel. Needs some crusher run.

"Nowhere" isn't near Clinton, is it? Our cell service sucks, too.

Runs great with fuel haha, and most certainly not going to be a show bike.

You're 100% correct about the gravel. We start with 3/4", use the box bland, then add crushed run when needed to pack down. But.. we don't do that often. Our drive way is considered a '"private road", the previous owners got really old and couldn't take care of it anymore. With it being a private road, the county will bring out a dump truck and a blade and fix it about every month for free since run-off is so bad. They don't typically run ditches on the edge of the drive like they should.... but they do it for free, and provide the gravel for free so where can I complain?
Eventually we would like take it back from the county as a private road, to chip and drip the entire drive way, but at 3,000 ft long and 12 ft wide, the county wants to charge around $40,000, so for now they can keep bringing their free gravel.

Nope, we are in a place called Auburntown. About parallel to Woodbury. Which is about 30 minutes outside of Murfreesboro.

Glad to hear it's finally 'fixed' (they are never really finished ;D ) 360's are fun bikes, quick enough and 'light' enough not to get you in too much trouble however you use them. I think I've been through Murfreesbor a couple of times while driving up to see wife's relatives in NH 8) Having pics delivered to brother ...LOL, I know mine would be in hysterics

crazypj said:
Glad to hear it's finally 'fixed' (they are never really finished ;D ) 360's are fun bikes, quick enough and 'light' enough not to get you in too much trouble however you use them. I think I've been through Murfreesbor a couple of times while driving up to see wife's relatives in NH 8) Having pics delivered to brother ...LOL, I know mine would be in hysterics

Me too! Thank you for all of your help with it, I am sure I will break something and need everyone here's help once again. And will definitely need help with the cb550 project I have.
If you've passed through Chattanooga headed to Nashville I can guarantee you've passed through Murfreesboro. It is like the next nashville or knoxville, the city has grown SO much.

cb360j said:
Runs great with fuel haha, and most certainly not going to be a show bike.

You're 100% correct about the gravel. We start with 3/4", use the box bland, then add crushed run when needed to pack down. But.. we don't do that often. Our drive way is considered a '"private road", the previous owners got really old and couldn't take care of it anymore. With it being a private road, the county will bring out a dump truck and a blade and fix it about every month for free since run-off is so bad. They don't typically run ditches on the edge of the drive like they should.... but they do it for free, and provide the gravel for free so where can I complain?
Eventually we would like take it back from the county as a private road, to chip and drip the entire drive way, but at 3,000 ft long and 12 ft wide, the county wants to charge around $40,000, so for now they can keep bringing their free gravel.

Nope, we are in a place called Auburntown. About parallel to Woodbury. Which is about 30 minutes outside of Murfreesboro.
Glad the county took ours in, paved with asphalt and plows after a snow (well, a day or two after). I was paying $250 a year for a load of gravel spread back in the 80's because the only other neighbor on it then wouldn't pay anything and the county wouldn't touch it. After taking it in they did marginal work on it and then a subdivision was built off of it and they paved it all.
I have a friend that lives in Snail Shell Cave, South of Murfreesboro.

I know exactly where that is but I havent ever actually visited over there before, its pretty over in that area.

If we had neighbors I think we would be ok with the county taking the road over. There is two groups of people that live on the road, my brothers and I, and another old farmer. Between both groups is over 1500 acres (the old farmer owning most), but we both own both sides of the road (paved) and nobody ever comes down it but us because it looks like a drive way. And then there is the actual drive way(unpaved) to our house, much more private than the road, and that is what we would like to take back as purely private. Once in a blue moon someone will drive right up to our house and we will ask what they're doing and they'll say "oh just exploring down some back roads". I guess we just dont want anyone to have a reason to come right up to our houses... with the possibility of seeing all of our equipment or taking anything.

Re: Cb360 Reassembly Help

Shoot a few and mount their hides by the road. No, that's not Politically Correct anymore. The county ran their Terrain King over our Private Drive signs that we put up because people would drive around our house on our driveway.

Well rode a good bit this week, took it out on a bigger highway (speed limit 65) and it did well then starting backfiring. Got it home safely.
Now when I start it up cold, it runs amazing. Then once warm, it will start to bog, then eventually die and is hard to start back up. And it backfires and the throttle hangs when revved. Hanging throttle is indicative of carbs not being synced properly, so i threw my gauge on and sure enough it isnt synced any longer. I checked for vaccum leaks, none. Timing is dead on. when cold, the valves are dead on. Turning the sync screw doesn't change anything,

Any suggestions?

the sync screw should definitely change your idle speed if bike is running, and if u have a vacuum setup to test carbs it definitely moves needles/whatever liquid your measuring vacuum with...check uncompressed height of both carb vacuum springs for equal length. got those little o-rings in the air/fuel mixture passages?

sounds like youre issue when running is too rich. when the bike gets hot its running too rich. try running with no filters once warm, see if better.

cb360j said:
Turning the sync screw doesn't change anything,

Just to be clear. Turning the SYNC screw doesn't change anything???

If this is the case, something is very whack. pull em off and check things out.

trek97 said:
Just to be clear. Turning the SYNC screw doesn't change anything???

If this is the case, something is very whack. pull em off and check things out.

That's the plan as soon as I get off work. I should be reading my gauge in cmHg right?

Really doesn’t matter, just so long as they are the same at idle. In a perfect world they would also be the same through rpm range. But 360 owners don’t live in a perfect world.

Haha no kidding, i used to think 360s would Be pretty simple but they are the motorcycles with the most mind of their own.
Think I found my issue, the shins underneath the snap ring holding the right point on have come out, don’t know how cause the snap ring is still on, but they aren’t there. Maybe never came with. The point rocker slides up and down it’s shafts and sometimes binds causing the right cylinder not to fire. When I hold it down in its proper position, it fires correctly and is synced properly. Shame I didn’t notice when I checked timing the other day

Great you found that issue.
But still need to find the reason sync adjuster isn’t functional. That’s a big weird issue.

trek97 said:
Really doesn’t matter, just so long as they are the same at idle. In a perfect world they would also be the same through rpm range. But 360 owners don’t live in a perfect world.
I always check sync by sllloooowwwllly opening throttle to around 4,000 rpm. They are almost always still in sync until slides start lifting (if not, the idle sync isn't quite right)

crazypj said:
I always check sync by sllloooowwwllly opening throttle to around 4,000 rpm. They are almost always still in sync until slides start lifting (if not, the idle sync isn't quite right)

haha I guess Im more of a Blip it and forget it, kinda guy. ;D

Took the carbs apart, the spring in between the sync screw was binded. So I tried to find one similar to it at fastenal, and they didn't have one in stock. But they are ordering a few that I can try out, I also found one in our spare tractor parts that is apart of the throttle linkage of an 86 ford 5610 that I think will work perfectly.

But.... with my exhaust being deafeningly loud its time to build one.

For the money, do yall think this would be a good kit to start with? Seems pretty well suited
http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/yamaha-xs650-builder-exhaust-kit-1-5-inch-diameter.html

I would probably have make own exhaust collars/flanges, which isn't to big of a deal. I can draw them and have them cut via cnc.

Back
Top Bottom