Why are you building a tracker?

Kev Nemo

Honda Hacker
This is totally for my own benefit, but I was wondering why are you building a tracker and what made you switch directions (assuming you started with a cafe)? For me it was geography-Central Texas is still pretty open and alot of times, you'll encounter off-road or dirt situations. I also like the utility of a dual-purpose bike. The Japanese shops also had a hand in influencing my build as well.

I actually was planning on using the bike for ice racing wiht friends in the winter. Also if i could get on a dirt oval other times of the year that would be fun too. After riding and racing my old Bultaco Sherpa S 175 for two years back in the 70s and getting on the ice a few times on friends' bikes, I wanted a flat tracker on the street. The 500 is close, but not quite there yet...

bikepics-1707377-full.jpg

The chassis needs some stuff ground off. The tail is going, a fender and cobra head type flat track seat to take up the space. The wiring needs done, the engine is ready as is most of the rest of it. Pipe is a one off we built, it has a mild cam, 528 9:1 Wiseco piston, and a 38 (or 36) Mikuni (I never measured it). Has the K&N model 24 bars, a bicycle speedometer, the OEM tach remounted, a Honda 500 Interceptor caliper grafted on for some real brakes. Fun project over a number of years...

Here's the original Brit Hot Rod look:

bikepics-1724248-full.jpg

Flame job was spray cans and looked as good as a pro job.

Well I'm not sure if I'm building a tracker yet, but they require less work (ie money) than a complete cafe racer, and they are also have a little more utility.

I'm not a sport bike guy. I don't care for the riding position, I don't care for the 100x more capable death machines that they are over their riders. I much prefer adventure bikes and motards. Upright, nimble, technique based, and comfortable rather than powerful.

So trackers mix a few aspects that are within my reach. Tires are cheap, they don't require a lot of fiberglass work to the make the tail sections look good, and they preserve the "ride all day" riding position.

Plus they look just as cool as the cafe racers.

adams77 said:
Not sure if this fits the mold of a tracker.... but dang I loved that bike.

main.php

The front 750 doesn't really pass the litmus test, but that one in the back ground would if it had flat track bars and a less obtrusive headlight! It looks like one of the old Harley Sprints at first glance. In a side note, vintage guys are running the old 250 and 350 Sprints and they actually are much faster now than they ever were back in 1970s.

I built trackers because my family races them. My grandpa owns the Harley Shop here in Columbus Nebraska and he makes some sick bikes, but i prefer honda over harley any day

I want to build a tracker so bad but both my motorcycles are four cylinders & I would want to make one out of a light, upright twin like -500CC's. I look at all these badass builds & think, 'someday'. The concept appeals to me well too. Dirt roads are everywhere here & drifting around corners WFO, with my foot out is a ball even on my KZ650. Plus it'd be something lighter / more flickable for around town & short trips so I could keep the KZ650 more backroad killer / touring oriented.

Being a Kawasaki guy from the get go, my first motorcycle was a 400LTD & I get images of one in my head with knobbies, wide bars, high pipes, stripped down to nothing & geared super low for a solo urban assault vehicle / dirt road bomber.

Maybe someday.

kawasakifreak77 said:
I want to build a tracker so bad but both my motorcycles are four cylinders & I would want to make one out of a light, upright twin like -500CC's. I look at all these badass builds & think, 'someday'. The concept appeals to me well too. Dirt roads are everywhere here & drifting around corners WFO, with my foot out is a ball even on my KZ650. Plus it'd be something lighter / more flickable for around town & short trips so I could keep the KZ650 more backroad killer / touring oriented.

Being a Kawasaki guy from the get go, my first motorcycle was a 400LTD & I get images of one in my head with knobbies, wide bars, high pipes, stripped down to nothing & geared super low for a solo urban assault vehicle / dirt road bomber.

Maybe someday.

Go look in the tracker inspiration thread at the CB750/Champion frame flat tracker that Rick Hocking and a few others rode. Take inspiration and knowledge that there did exsist multi-cylinder dirt trackers before the AMA's stroke of "genius" in banning them in late 1975. After the first win on a national level by a bike first entered that day, first seen by the rider that day, first ridden by that rider that day, and Kenny WON on it that first day! By the way, it seems KR's opinion on the bike has softened with the years, read his comments in the most recent issue of Cycle World.

I was at Indy that Saturday night in 1975 and saw it first hand, along with the other 4 TZs and three or four Kawasaki H2 750s. No one crashed their brains out, they all walked away that night, but that wasn't good enough. They threatened to change Grand National racing. If you really want to know more, find the January 1976 issue of Cycle World and read about the work that went into the bike, the reasoning, the testing, and you know the final results... a win and a ban. It wasn't the major threat, but it was an avenue for a privateer to use his roadrace engine (AMA paid points for short track, half mile, mile, TT, and roadracing back then for #1) to make a competitive mile bike for the cost of a rolling chassis.

Swapmeet Louie said:
Too race it.... we have 2 local tracks. 1 indoor for yr around racing and 1 outdoor.

So you're building an actual track only bike, right? Or are you building a flat tracker to race some, then be able to have lights to run it on the road?

Either way is cool.

klx678 said:
So you're building an actual track only bike, right? Or are you building a flat tracker to race some, then be able to have lights to run it on the road?

Either way is cool.

Race only. started off as a ts185.

I'll have to post some picks. It's on the back burner for now until I finish my cb's.....

Swapmeet Louie said:
Race only. started off as a ts185.

I'll have to post some picks. It's on the back burner for now until I finish my cb's.....

Save your electrical parts, you never know when you might want a really cool street bike. I wish I still had my Bultaco 175 Sherpa S. I'd have a points ignition with lighting coil in it so fast it'd make your head spint.

Kev Nemo said:
This is totally for my own benefit, but I was wondering why are you building a tracker and what made you switch directions (assuming you started with a cafe)? For me it was geography-Central Texas is still pretty open and alot of times, you'll encounter off-road or dirt situations. I also like the utility of a dual-purpose bike. The Japanese shops also had a hand in influencing my build as well.
I like flattrackers because they are such a blunt instrument, like a mallet or a sprint car. Nothing there that doesnt peform a function. Sheer badassery:
resizedXR750.jpg

Here is a pic of the trackbike I started "El' piscado loco"... Will be back on it in the near future. Sorry for the crappy pic
p_00002.jpg

Kev Nemo said:
Louie-That tank is f#ckin' sweet-pure 70's style gold, man! Are you doing a build thread?

Ya I will...

Thanks... The cool thing is my 11 yr old daughter Rylee painted that tank!

klx678 said:
Go look in the tracker inspiration thread at the CB750/Champion frame flat tracker that Rick Hocking and a few others rode. Take inspiration and knowledge that there did exsist multi-cylinder dirt trackers before the AMA's stroke of "genius" in banning them in late 1975. After the first win on a national level by a bike first entered that day, first seen by the rider that day, first ridden by that rider that day, and Kenny WON on it that first day! By the way, it seems KR's opinion on the bike has softened with the years, read his comments in the most recent issue of Cycle World.

I was at Indy that Saturday night in 1975 and saw it first hand, along with the other 4 TZs and three or four Kawasaki H2 750s. No one crashed their brains out, they all walked away that night, but that wasn't good enough. They threatened to change Grand National racing. If you really want to know more, find the January 1976 issue of Cycle World and read about the work that went into the bike, the reasoning, the testing, and you know the final results... a win and a ban. It wasn't the major threat, but it was an avenue for a privateer to use his roadrace engine (AMA paid points for short track, half mile, mile, TT, and roadracing back then for #1) to make a competitive mile bike for the cost of a rolling chassis.

Yeah I saw that CB. It's just with each motorcycle I build I find my primary goal is lightening them. Of course I'm doing this on a strict budget so starting off light helps a lot. I only weigh 145 lbs soaking wet & even though I can handle a road king if I have to, I don't want to. The lighter a motorcycle is, the more enjoyable it is for me personally. That's why I'd want to start off with a little twin, I'd want a little scrambler down between 300 & 350lbs tops. Example, at the end of last season I had my KZ650 (stock wet weight right around 500lbs) down to 440 full of gas & she's just barely street legal. I think I can trim another 20 off this winter with the aluminum arm & 17" wheels I laced up along with some other goodies. 60lbs is a lot on a four cylinder street bike I think & she was instantly more enjoyable for me with all that junk taken off.

Anyways, my first motorcycle was a 400LTD & I think that'd be a neat platform to build one off of since I already have some knowledge of owning one. When it comes to the scramblers / trackers, I'm just partial to the look of the upright twins.

Thanks for your knowledge & insight though. I can say I'm envious as I wasn't a twinkle in my old man's eye yet when that stuff was going on & it would have been SO cool to see how it went down back in the day!

kawasakifreak77 said:
Thanks for your knowledge & insight though. I can say I'm envious as I wasn't a twinkle in my old man's eye yet when that stuff was going on & it would have been SO cool to see how it went down back in the day!

Having been there, seen that, and done that too (I was one of those guys who did forward mounted shocks on my old TM125 to get more wheel travel, pushed the liner out of hte Sherpa S to make it six port, and stuff like that) I changed my whole approach to doing my SR500 single.

I kind of got tired of all the show bike stuff, that on one in their right mind would risk on an actual track. I also kind of lost interest in the XR clone looks. I now approach it as building a flat tracker as I would have back when we were playing on the short tracks first, then adding the legal niceties for the street. The build being on the lines of the late sixties flat trackers pre-XR. No billet bling or outrageously trick one-off stuff. Just what would be necessary for the track. The lighting will be the most trick thing, just to fit it in and on the most unobtrusive ways.

I honestly can't wait to get it done to go out on some pea gravel or limestone road in eastern Ohio to slide around a few corners... it did it before when it was stock, it's gonna do it again when done.

Back
Top Bottom