Why are you building a tracker?

klx678 said:
Having been there, seen that, and done that too (I was one of those guys who did forward mounted shocks on my old TM125 to get more wheel travel, pushed the liner out of hte Sherpa S to make it six port, and stuff like that) I changed my whole approach to doing my SR500 single.

I kind of got tired of all the show bike stuff, that on one in their right mind would risk on an actual track. I also kind of lost interest in the XR clone looks. I now approach it as building a flat tracker as I would have back when we were playing on the short tracks first, then adding the legal niceties for the street. The build being on the lines of the late sixties flat trackers pre-XR. No billet bling or outrageously trick one-off stuff. Just what would be necessary for the track. The lighting will be the most trick thing, just to fit it in and on the most unobtrusive ways.

I honestly can't wait to get it done to go out on some pea gravel or limestone road in eastern Ohio to slide around a few corners... it did it before when it was stock, it's gonna do it again when done.

Even though I wasn't there, that approach sounds cool to me man. & sliding around bends I can't get enough of! I take dirt roads places just to do that! Are there still little tracks out there where a guy could build a little tracker & try his hand at it pretty much for fun? I'm new to all this but am getting hooked!

My CB750 is not that heavy stripped down (I could probably shed a few more pounds here and there). I weigh 168 and I'm 5'9-perfect size for me ;D

Kev Nemo said:
Even better-kids in the garage-win!

Here is a better pic of the tank she painted (keep in mind she is 11 yrs old)
SDC11251.jpg

And this is the motor I want to put in the tracker. Benelli 250 2 stroke....
SDC11245.jpg

SDC11246.jpg

Even have a nice pair of dellorto flat slide carbs for it

kawasakifreak77 said:
Even though I wasn't there, that approach sounds cool to me man. & sliding around bends I can't get enough of! I take dirt roads places just to do that! Are there still little tracks out there where a guy could build a little tracker & try his hand at it pretty much for fun? I'm new to all this but am getting hooked!

My SR was originally used by me for back road running and dirt/gravel. I had an 83 GoldWing standard I rode on the street. My wife hadn't ridden on it in over 2 years and I mentioned this. She said not to take it wrong, but riding on a motorcycle did nothing for her and she could care less if she ever was on one again. She prefaced this with the fact that she had no problem with my bikes and riding... which had been there long before her. So I immediately sold the Wing and started the search for the next ride.

I tried my brother's VFR750 and got achy wrists in less than 50 miles, so the 86 VFR in r/w/b was now out. I then rode his NX650 dual sport and after over 125 miles the first time I was sold. I looked for an NX and then the KLX was pointed out to me by one of the mechanics at the shop where I hung out and worked part time. I was sold.

Took a month or so but I got one and have never regretted it. It literally quadrupled the roads I could ride within any area of home. Rough or dirt no problem, stuff that would peen the SR was no problem. The KLX was my sole street ride for almost ten years. Now I wouldn't go without the dual sport. It would be the last bike standing if I ever had to move any of them.

The others are fun and serve a different purpose, but the KLX could do it all... and go off road too.

I already have a cafe and a bobber. I like the single sound sometimes I go in the garage and drink a beer and just rev the piss out of my bike!!!

Why ? I keep asking myself the same question. ::)

After years of cafe racers (almost going back to the originals) followed by a few vintage racers and some modern racers (too freakin' fast) and way too many retos's I figured it was time for something different.

I'm calling this on the Phat Trakka coz it is a huge fat thing, but that's not it's fault. It's a GT750 Suzuki and to be honest it's been stalled for a while, so I need to get the finger out.

I started posting build details at http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/phattrakka2/index.htm but it's a little out of date. i got stuck working out multiple porting and pipe alternatives and so far I cannot come up with a porting combo that works with the 3 into 1 pipes I want to use.

So far we have run literally dozens of simulations and port and pipe combos and nothing works with those pipes, so I'm going to have to compromise.

teazer said:
Why ? I keep asking myself the same question. ::)

After years of cafe racers (almost going back to the originals) followed by a few vintage racers and some modern racers (too freakin' fast) and way too many retos's I figured it was time for something different.

I'm calling this on the Phat Trakka coz it is a huge fat thing, but that's not it's fault. It's a GT750 Suzuki and to be honest it's been stalled for a while, so I need to get the finger out.

I started posting build details at http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/phattrakka2/index.htm but it's a little out of date. i got stuck working out multiple porting and pipe alternatives and so far I cannot come up with a porting combo that works with the 3 into 1 pipes I want to use.

So far we have run literally dozens of simulations and port and pipe combos and nothing works with those pipes, so I'm going to have to compromise.

Pretty cool. Did you ever do a search for Ronnie Rall and GT750 flat tracker
rrall_suzy3_300.jpg

I have a few other shots but don't remember where i found them. Look at him push that front tire!

My reasons? First, for the fun of it! Flattrackers just ooze bare bones, all out adrenalin! The basic essentials of a bike are embodied in a flattracker. In my streettracker I will have everything, a daily rider due to the riding position, a sportbike for the paved twisty roads in my local hills, and an adventure bike to take out on the unpaved and fire roads of the rural areas.
My XT500 is getting some performance upgrades, a 440 Pro-Tec cam, 38mm Mikuni roundslide, 10:1 comp piston kit and a custom exhaust. Beyond that I'm only beefing up the clutch and valves. I definitely want some extra power but I also want to get good life out of the engine and ride it down to the pub as well as taking it out for a good hammering.
On top of all this, it's a way to cut my teeth on a custom bike without the need for it to look "perfect" like a show bike. I'm making lots of parts myself and using almost all swapmeet finds and used bits for the tank, seat, forks, hubs etc. In my view this will give it a more authentic straight off the track look.
But in the end it's just for the fun of riding and admiring a damn cool bike.

Back
Top Bottom