XS400 Build

slowmoto

Hi,
I thought I would post my build. This is my winter project. Tho I am making lots of progress and winter is not even here. A friend of mine is also building a bike, he has a thread of his build so I figured I would start this one for mine.
I recently bought a house and ended up selling my last bike a 1990 Honda VFR to pay for some of the unexpected problem that came up with the house. I spent the past summer missing my bike so I figured I would go for a low budget build.
I picked up the Yamaha for $150 bucks, it was in sad shape. The owner informed me that he had fried the points trying to start it... I didn't bother asking any other questions, the bike has electronic ignition..
As of this past weekend the bike is running, I took it for a ride down the road. I still have some carb issued to sort out. I need to come up with a rear fender, and all of the lighting. Then its tear it down for paint and polish.
Most of my pictures are from my phone, ill take some proper pictures and upload them soon.

Thanks... Let me know what you think

Chad

( I just noticed I have the linkage wrong on the rear brake, I need to flip it to the bottom of the wheel under the frame.. doh..)

You can leave the brake linkage as-is - it will still work just fine, but if you prefer it below, then go ahead and move it.

Tim said:
You can leave the brake linkage as-is - it will still work just fine, but if you prefer it below, then go ahead and move it.

Thanks Tim, that's should save me a little work, Hope it clears what ever I find for a fender.

what a cool build man! very nice... what are you going to do about the tank at the back side? you going to open it up so that it drops on the back bone a bit more?

Here are some more pictures. I get really focused when I'm working on the bike and forget to take pictures..

I tried to get the tank as low as I could on the frame. You will notice in the pictures the frame does not have a single backbone, where the three connect there is a flat plate welded to the frame. The tank sits as low on the plate as I could get it. I may weld a plug in the end of the tank too fill the gap, that is the only fix I have come up with so far.

Really nice job. The lines kick ass! I'm digging it! How long have you been at it?

troybilt said:
Really nice job. The lines kick ass! I'm digging it! How long have you been at it?

Thanks, I appreciate the complement. I pick the bike up August 11th, I had it stripped to the frame that night.. I hope to have it done in February, or March I have a feeling its going to take a while to get it through RI inspection. I want to be ready for the first warm day of spring.

The bends in your frame look real good. Is that a kit or did you DIY. Gussets and welds look pro. You do good work.

JRK5892 said:
hell ya it does! man that is one killer shop you got there!

I cant take credit for the welding on this build, I sent it to Jay Schulze @ PSW Customs (http://www.pswcustoms.com/). I am still learning how to weld, I figured I would send it to a pro this time. Jay did a great Job, $400 bucks 2 to 4 week turnaround. He now offers kits for the XS400 & XS650. Its hard to justify spending the time doing it yourself for that price.

Back
Top Bottom