The WTF am I doing... project

lil beast

Manic Fanatic
DTT SUPPORTER
Yes, I have no idea why but I decided to build a 1978 CB400 and wasnt sure where I was headed with it but hey, here it is......

Picture052.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture054.jpg

crazy bro... but i like

I'm kinda wondering about that shock angle though... just worries me a bunch.

:)

Druro said:
crazy bro... but i like

I'm kinda wondering about that shock angle though... just worries me a bunch.

:)
I'd be worrying about my 'bunch' if i sat on that seat ;D ;D ;D

Serious ;) I like ,,,do you make the exhuast??? if so im gonna need your help ;D

I like that seat just hanging out there. and the shocks look wicked, how well they work i'm not sure but cool nonethe less

Jay

VonYinzer said:
Really cool man... May have to steal some ideas from ya for the 400 out back...

no probs, just dont do the shock set up with the wrong spring rate like i did lol. Your. Right Ryan, the shock angle isnt the prob. The spring rate is. If i can match the angle with the rate it will be fine. Think of a latteral mono shock;)

yep i make my pipes Intrudin. Let me know what you need next time your at the dice.

Thanks all. Looking forward to finishing these bikes. Gotta chop up a new Thruxton for a paying customer next :)

Bike looks sick, but as others have stated, I have to disagree with the function on the rear shocks. I know you're probably thinking about the Aprilia and thier lateral monoshock set u, but one, you're shock is much more lateral in an at rest position, which isn't good. Two, you have much longer shocks, again, not helping with what is definately going to be a way to soft spring rate. I bet with you sitting on it, it's sitting practically horizontal giving you binding. It also doen't appear you have the ability to adjust preload and dampening, which with that set up, you'll need to be able to do.

My .02c would be to find a higher point for the front shock mounting point as well as stiffer shocks with full adjustablity on preload and dampening for functionalities sake.

charlesskelter said:
Bike looks sick, but as others have stated, I have to disagree with the function on the rear shocks. I know you're probably thinking about the Aprilia and thier lateral monoshock set u, but one, you're shock is much more lateral in an at rest position, which isn't good. Two, you have much longer shocks, again, not helping with what is definately going to be a way to soft spring rate. I bet with you sitting on it, it's sitting practically horizontal giving you binding. It also doen't appear you have the ability to adjust preload and dampening, which with that set up, you'll need to be able to do.

My .02c would be to find a higher point for the front shock mounting point as well as stiffer shocks with full adjustablity on preload and dampening for functionalities sake.

Your absolutely right ;D

If I had done a bit more research on the socks and mounting points i would be much happier with the set up. These shocks only have 2 settings but there is no binding. The swing arm end of the shock mount can be relocated with no issues but its the top I cant redo. Ill have to soarce better, shorter, stiffer shocks with a more adjustable option but for now the stance and look is what I can base it on.

Thanks all for the input.

What are your thoughts on peg placement? I like the look. I am considering picking up another one of these and bobbing it, if I can get it cheap enough. The problem I have is I am tall and if I go low I need to move the pegs forward, and there is no frame. Cool stance so far, hope you work out the shock issue.

Cheers,

Maritime

I love where you are heading with this thing. Love everything about it. The tank fits perfect and the exhaust rocks. Seat looks killer too. Looks like you could move the top mounts up 6" and it would be perfect?? Although I'm sure you have some time in on the sleeving and gusset already. That looks really good too. If you move the bottom mounts forward will you have to support the swingarm?

if you needed to raise the shock mounts at the front up a little bit you could always do something similar to your seat mount, something a little more fluid that could incorporate a mount for a tire hugging fender.

Jay

mrkil said:
you know what would make that ass end look sick?

leafs

0201sr_springs10_zoom.jpg

OHHhhHhhH dude you didnt....yeah you did....I have a set of leaf springs kickin around too..

Your right it would look bad ass'd wouldnt it lol
:eek:

Are you guys talking about on the swing arm? If so that would be kick ass. I think leafs first came out around 1912-1913 on the on the Indian?

Yep, looks like the 1913 Indian but I couldn't grab any photos. Maybe have shorter links and mount the springs lower???
Anyhow, If you are talking about leafs for the seat that would be kick ass too!

Back
Top Bottom