74 CB450 - Hodge Podge

I built a CB 450 street tracker a while ago, heres the thread,thought it might help
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=469.msg3069#msg3069

eurodave said:
I built a CB 450 street tracker a while ago, heres the thread,thought it might help
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=469.0

A friend of mine built a 450 street/tracker back in the early 70s using a cut down XR750 tail, an Elsinore 250 fuel tank, a spool front wheel, and hand made flat track pipes with megaphones exiting on the right. It looked good.

Back around 1975 there were several street/trackers (although the name didn't exist then) running around in Tuscarawas County in Ohio. One was an actual flat tracker, a PowerDyne 250 (licensed first generation Yamaha MX engine design). One was an actual XR750 chassis ridden by Mert Lawill with a Sportster engine wedged in and dual disc front brakes. The guy with the "XR900" sold it and built a Shell Thuett 750 kitted Champion framed Yamaha that actually eventually ended up on a flat track for real. There were several BSA and Triumphs stripped down to look flat track. But the one that really stuck with me was the one modified stock framed Kawasaki 350 Big Horn. The reason - they were rotary valve two strokes and the carb/air filter stuck out nearly a foot on the right side with a plastic shield covering the front of the filter. The type of bike has been featured in some Metro Racing ads, a Woody Kyle replica to be specific. Rockets as long as they didn't seize.

Really an amazing time back then... who'd a thunk they'd be so far ahead of their time.

Kev Nemo said:
That's a damned fine bike!

Why thankyou sir!
That bike is very nearly finished,progress on it stalled & then my other projects took over,
been thinking about finishing the frame in a nice dark blue powder coat...........

Flying_Flannel_89 said:
Sweet looking bike! What kind of bars are those?

Over here in New Zealand theyre called 'semi westerns' but theyre near as dammit to proper flat track bars

eurodave said:
Over here in New Zealand theyre called 'semi westerns' but theyre near as dammit to proper flat track bars
Well they look really cool on there, even compliments the stock tank nicely. your 450 sorta makes me want to rethink my plans for mine, it just looks so right.

Flying_Flannel_89 said:
Well they look really cool on there, even compliments the stock tank nicely. your 450 sorta makes me want to rethink my plans for mine, it just looks so right.
That tank isnt stock, its my very modified fibreglass version of a, believe it or not,CX500 Custom tank

Hello all. been such a long time since I updated this thread. It goes all the way to February!

Anyway, I've been slowly making progress and getting this bike finished. So here are some pics.
I'm glad theres been so much discussion since the first page, but honestly, I'm not building a flat tracker, or anything like that.
I'm just getting my inspiration from those style of bikes.
Sorry if I'm not following any sort of rules or conformity to the actual racers and people who take pride in that style of bike.

As of this past weekend I made the seat pan, and shaved the foam to fit.
And the last photo you see how the new battery box/electronics brackets were fitted.

I deconstructed the original wiring harness, and stripped all the wires I wasnt using anymore.
Basically any wiring that didnt have to do with getting the bike started, or the headlight, and brake light.
Everything else was discarded.
I rewired it up, crossed my fingers, and pushed the new start button.
It started started after not running since February. Pretty stoked on that.
Still hasnt kicked over yet, cause the tank and carbs werent in working order,
so im not out of the woods yet.

4812406707_07b255c3b5_b.jpg

4813030932_69eecc09bc_b.jpg

4813030894_b1e4c4799a_b.jpg

Im hoping to get this back on the road this weekend.
I still have to chop the exhaust to the length i see fit and wrap the pipes with tape.
Weld on a loop tail
and then sand/paint all the areas where i grinded off brackets etc.

Back
Top Bottom