Street Tracker '79 Honda XL185?

Cafe-XV750

Been Around the Block
Geeze I definitely have MBD ...

I just picked up a cheap 95% there '79 Honda XL185 (dual sport) to putter around on while I work-on/finish my cafe projects. Just under 2k miles and dirty - some rash so I won't care if I drop it while being a newb. Currently freshening up and installing universal tail/turn signals and should be good to go. Also have some work colleagues who light-trail ride on some vintage 125s over the lunch hour (close to home and work) ... able to join in.

Think it's worth (eventually) tracking? Leave it high or lower a bit? Leave the shocks laying down or stand up?

Stocker (not mine, but similar - '80 I think)
Similarxl185.jpg

Inspirational tracker (not a XL)
Hondatracker.jpg

Cafe-XV750 said:
Geeze I definitely have MBD ...

I just picked up a cheap 95% there '79 Honda XL185 (dual sport) to putter around on while I work-on/finish my cafe projects. Just under 2k miles and dirty - some rash so I won't care if I drop it while being a newb. Currently freshening up and installing universal tail/turn signals and should be good to go. Also have some work colleagues who light-trail ride on some vintage 125s over the lunch hour (close to home and work) ... able to join in.

Think it's worth (eventually) tracking? Leave it high or lower a bit? Leave the shocks laying down or stand up?

Stocker (not mine, but similar - '80 I think)
Similarxl185.jpg

Inspirational tracker (not a XL)
Hondatracker.jpg

Am I missing something in the translation... that is a basically standard set up 73 or 74 Honda Elsinore in the picture is a vintage motocross bike, not a flat tracker. Not that it's bad, just not a flat tracker. Stick lights on it and you have a really fast old style two stroke dual sport.

But if you want a fun flat tracker, the 185 would be pretty cool. a shorter set of rear shocks would get it down where it should be. The forks could have some travel limit spacers put in, but I'd look for a set of standard street style forks with a disc brake and the axle centered on the bottom for the performance since I tend to ride whatever I own fairly briskly. It would also add to the flat track look and have an 18 or 19 already. You could possibly find one for free too.

A 19 or 18" front rim and some dirt track type tires would do the trick. Duro makes a 2.75-18 I think, in the Pirelli MT53 style tread.

Yeah that would make a pretty neat little tracker. Throw a tail on it lower it a bit and bobs your uncle. Should be cool.

Not a tracker yet, but just posting some pics of my 'restoration' - finished it enough to go trail riding with some co-workers ... as evident in the '1st-dirty' pic taken 4hrs later!

Needs a better rear tire (well worn original) to be more effective in the loose stuff.

Attachments

• 1st dirty-sml.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 2,980
Yeah man, with a tiny bit of work that thing is going to be awesome!

I dig the Cafe Racer Ypsi sticker too!

Dan

those old XLs are fun.

Here's my '75 XL175 so far. I still plan on doing a lot more to it

bad cellphone pic:

Photo041.jpg

Keep it as a trail bike, just bung a 26~28mm carb on and have fun.
I got a second place in OPEN class (over 251cc) enduro on one
(entered on 400 Yamaha, sold that, Honda XLwas only other off road bike I had running)

PJ

Seems to be staying more of a trail bike ...

Put some (cheap) Chen 755 off-road tires on it and WHAT A DIFFERENCE on the trails! Powers thru mud bogs and deep water no problem.

Picked up some XR185 aluminum wheels to put on eventually (need fresh spokes). Have my tail/turn lighting all sorted out - just need to finish the install. Also have a XR185 carb (26mm - XL is 24mm) and some longer/stronger (I hope) rear shocks to clean up and play with too.

Back
Top Bottom