'71 Suzuki TS250 tracker - mock up

Ringo

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Here we have the 200 I bought for my brother. Plan is to cafe it, of course. Nothing but a pic now, but I'll be adding to it as time goes by.

DSC_7143.jpg

Re: '74 CB200

Yeah the previous owner did some pretty good restore work on it. I would encourage him to leave it as is if it weren't for the rattle can paint job, which looks great for what it is! The motor runs great, valves are quiet, no oil leaks. I seem to have given my brother my like for loud exhausts, as he's been putting around with the mufflers removed. The only qualm I have with it is the mechanically-actuated disc brake. It's awful. But then again, 60mph is pushing the limit of that bike.

It's true about the brake. It may feel scary at first, but once it's adjusted it gets a lot better. I was looking into getting a hydraulic setup for my 200 front end and found out that a lot of set ups SHOULD fit. But I never actually tried to fit one......

Any tips for getting it adjusted? The clymer manual that came with the bike claimed it was self-adjusting and needed nothing but the occasional pad change. Glad to hear it can be adjusted!

Well, you absolutely NEED a washer, fender, or something between the brake mount and the fork tube. Found that one out the hard way.......

All the adjustment is in the cable - snug that up a little bit and see if it feels any better. I have a long, fairly steep hill near my house. Ended up getting it up to speed and riding the front brake the entire way down the hill - great way to get rid of any grease / dirt on the brakes.

Right on, Rich. I'll monkey with the cable, and we'll keep that fender on!

Seriously dude, two! I have a hard time finding anything worth building, and you post up two in one day? ;D

What can I say, it was a pretty decent fire season. I'm just making sure I exhaust my savings by the time I go back to work next spring. It's the responsible thing to do...

;D

looks like a fun project. It will be fun watching this come together!
kev

Re: '74 CB200 unnamed

Finally started hacking at the 200 today. My brother wants it open under the seat, so out came the grinder. We also took off the headlight ears and found some pretty bad rust. He wants bare fork tubes, but not enough to buy a clean set. So we'll remove the rust, sand them down a little and paint them where the rust starts.
cb200frame.jpg

cb200forks.jpg

Great to see your starting out with the grinder ;) Looks like you may need it looking at those fork tubes ;D Sorry, had to say it.

I also like the open area under the seat look. Am also interested in seeing what you get up to :)

You will still need some sort of rear fender. See what you could do to the stock one to sculpt it to shape. On our CB160 based race bikes, I managed to grind the rares down to tiny vestigial race fenders and kept the OEM mounts. They end up light stylish and they work.

Those forks tubes will be fine. Use a wire wheel on the bench grinder and spray them. As long as there are no gouges or pits where the seals ride, you will be OK.

Ok, Travis started it.......

Here's the plan Chris......hit up Millennium Falcon for the RD200:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32231.0

Yank the motor out, shoe horn it into that CB frame, add plenty of bracing, and call it a day.

No? Worth a shot.......

Haha, but then I'd have to replace the mechanical disc brake, brace the frame, suspension, better rubber, on and on. An rd200 lump would totally snowball this project.

Plus, low power is good...I'm hoping my 9 year old brother will take to riding with this one...

Re: '74 CB200 unnamed

Ringo said:
Finally started hacking at the 200 today. My brother wants it open under the seat, so out came the grinder. We also took off the headlight ears and found some pretty bad rust. He wants bare fork tubes, but not enough to buy a clean set. So we'll remove the rust, sand them down a little and paint them where the rust starts.
cb200frame.jpg

cb200forks.jpg

My fork tubes were pretty rusty like yours at top. On the bottoms, I was able to clean them up nicely, but the top portion was very pitted. I found that spraying the top part (above the lower triple tree) with truck bed liner worked well. Its a textured black, durable finish that looks nice and hides all those pits that you are bound to have.

Ringo said:
Any tips for getting it adjusted? The clymer manual that came with the bike claimed it was self-adjusting and needed nothing but the occasional pad change. Glad to hear it can be adjusted!

My tip for getting it adjusted is to do what I did with my '75 CB200t. I bought a CB175 complete front wheel, hub, and complete drum brake setup on ebay. Even came with a decent tire (although I am not using it anyways). No rust at all, great condition and it was only $60 shipped. Its a direct swap-out and you are done worrying about the brakes. From everything I have read, those mechanical brakes are terrible and I got tired trying to get mine to work good enough.

Back
Top Bottom