72 Honda CL350 Bobber

solid man will continue to follow along! soon as i have his road king off my deck i am going to finally get back to work on my Cb350... be a nice change from harley custom after harley custom!

He can make this right; it's just going to take a lot of work. He's also going to be chasing his tail as the welds it up because the mild steel is going to wiggle around during the weld process.

That said, a full jig is the best way to go. I bet it's the same amount of time in the long run.

--Chris

Ya man. You can weld, so building a jig should be no biggie. Look around on line. Theres a bunch of free plans for building one.

56983b6e.jpg

More detailed update tonight

The bike looks fantastic. I love the stance and the swoops on that tail look sweet. I'm really currious how you made everything right. Anxious to see that update

Alright, so I am posting the update a little later than I said I would but here it is. The main issue that I encountered was determining the straightness of the frame. I determined that the rear axle and the steering shaft were aligned correctly. I did not make a jig but I did bolt a brace between the rear axle plates and bolted the motor in to finish weld the frame. I know some of you may be disappointed that I did not use a jig but I took a lot of time to make sure the frame was right. I had been concerned with the straightness of each individual tube in the frame from a more aesthetic perspective which is important to a point but it doesnt tell me how well the bike is going to go down the road. I guess what I am trying to say is that I was missing the big picture. I like the art of fabricating but that has not necessarily included a technical component. I put alot of time into the looks and not the function of the bike. I know I will be making a jig for future builds.
Anyways, I'm done rambling! As far as some of the features of the bike at its current state, The motor mounts are all complete except for the lower-rear mounts which need to be gusseted. I have the gussets all cut for them I just need to weld them in. I was anxious to get the wheels on and see how it looks. For some reason I went a little light on the lower rear mounts and I make upgrade them instead of doing a bunch of gusseting. I was pleased how the upper rear motor mount turned out. I think the four standoffs on the down part of the backbone(or whatever you call it) look cool. I made my first two speed holes on the bike on the top motor mount by accident. I drilled the holes wrong the first time and had the flip the tab over lol. I think it kinda adds to the bike though. It breaks up that clunky tab.

You may be able to see in the pics that the box thingy that goes from the downtube to the back bone is just tacked in. I think I might ditch that. I was experimenting with ideas to breakup that stamped portion that down tube goes into. Still have trouble deciding what to do there so any suggestions are appreciated!
I have been purchasing a few parts and accessories here and there. I bought some all balls steer tube bearings which are in right now but I think I installed the lower race wrong because it is pushed way too far into the steer tube and the lower tree is riding on the steer tube not the bearing ooops! That will have to be redone.
I also purchased a thick sheet of leather that I am going to use for the seat. I still need to cut a solo seat pan out unless I find one for a really good deal. Anyone have a good cheap source for solo seat pans? I bought some hair pin spring mounts from low brow so Troy I will be able to get your springs mounted up!

I really need to buy bars because conduit just ruins the pictures lol

I know I didnt cover everything so ask away!
251fa98f.jpg

This mount is all finish welded now.
1e83876a.jpg

2216fb25.jpg

7be61dce.jpg

9c7ee766.jpg

Troy, Chris, Joe, and VonYinzer,

Didn't mean to ignore your last posts. Thanks a lot for following along.

Joe,

Looking forward to seeing some CB350 updates. Definitely a change of scenery from harley's!

Thanks for the input gents!

I thought I would throw a few update pics on the thread. I haven't made too much progress this summer but it is what it is.

33017577.jpg

Pics with the motor mounted and the super bike bars

104e80b5.jpg

3224385b.jpg

Ebay seat pan

0807e4d7.jpg

30's ford spare tire well. Swap meet special! Still got to cut a fender out of it.

4a8f8b0d.jpg

Seat pan mounted using troybilt's hair pin springs! Thank you sir!

b631c558.jpg

I am building my bike in my friends garage and this is his truck he just finished. Its a 93 dakota body on an 89 3/4 ton dodge frame with the 12 valve cummins from the dodge. Anyways, hope ya like the bike progress even though progress has been slow.

Back
Top Bottom