Shooter CB550 - progress with pix (28 Nov) Engine installed

Shooter

Been Around the Block
Remounted engine today - big moment. Went real well considering this is the first time I have done this. Took 2 hours to do it with the help of a mate.

Aim is to fire up this engine by next week and ride it by Xmas.

P1000961sm.jpg

P1000957sm.jpg

Thanx.

Finned covers I found on Trademe (like Ebay) but I am aware of the location of some others (in New Zealand where I live ) and also have seen them at various places on the Internet.

Coming together nicely. You should look into getting a shorter stainless steel brake line, it will vastly improve stopping power and lever feel.

You also need to re-install your oil filter cover. It's turned 90 degrees counterclockwise if I recall the config.

There's a notch on the engine case which receives the centre fin of the filter cover. Keeps it from spinning and theoretically loosening the bolt and causing a MAJOR problem - i.e. litres of oil under your rear wheel and an engine on its way to seizing, all while cruising down the highway doin' the ton ;) Would be a shame to ruin such a nice bike :D

I should also say the bike is looking great - love the frame color. Paint or powder? One more suggestion - if you're not going to run the fork gaitors (which I like personally), you should ditch the stock headlight ears and get some different 35mm headlight brackets. Lots of them out there - Tommaselli style ones that are pretty industrial looking and Ceriani style which are cast alloy and can be polished to a mirror shine.

I just bought myself a set on eBay for $13 + shipping. My Tommaselli mounts are very long, and will need modification to mount my Lucas headlight bucket properly. Not sure which direction I'm going in yet. You look like you'd need the longer armed mounts - you can get solid cast ones in a longer style as well.

Ceriani style

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CERIANI-ALLOY-EAR-HEADLAMP-HONDA-YAMAHA-KAWASAKI-SUZUKI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35604QQihZ015QQitemZ250192586378QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Tommaselli style pic below.

Thanx all for comments and tips.

Engine is not quite as "spotless" as it appears in the pix but the motive behind the bike was "reveal the steel" and I took this as a theme. It allowed a bit of tolerance to the level of restoration. I call it "patina".

Well spotted Tintin - Oil filter was only just sitting in place and not tightened up and set. I had l;iterally just dropped the engine in but now it is fixed.

Brake lines are a work in progress and the intention is braided. Had some problems getting connectors because I want to keep the brake sensor in the meantime. Eventually intend a total front rotor replacement and new brake system.

Will take a look at the headlight brackets . Thanx for the references. Real cool. I have decisions to make on indicators and rear lights also.

Frame is powder coated.

Spent this arvo doing electrix!!!!!!

That engine is...Fintastic!

No,no it's....Fintactular!

Hmm....oh....it's Finsational!

I think I'll just go with my first thought when I scrolled down and saw the pic....Damn,that's a lot of F'ing FINS! ;D

Also, to add to the folk gaiter thing. I wanted to run different headlight ears but also wanted gaiters. I was stumped on how I would hold the gaiters up and a wire tie just bunched it up and made it look really crappy. So a friend of mine on the spot came up with this awesome idea. He took a piece of fuel line, measured around the fork, cut to length, ran a wire tie through it and stretched the gaiter over it. Feakin perfect fit. Water tight and looks stock. Hope this helps.
bikeproject062.jpg

bikeproject063.jpg

bikeproject064.jpg

That's great - I think that's the general idea when people mention using radiator hose or something - just to increase the diameter of the fork tube and create a good mounting surface for the gaitors. With a flat surface provided by a section of rad hose, you could then put a clamp over top to secure things, but it looks like this solution works with just friction.

Nice idea running the zip-tie through the fuel hose.

I've always prefered the fork gaiters, you just don't see them on many street bikes. Even Harley has mini booties on their Nightster:

nightster_bottom.jpg

You can use these from Cycle Exchange:

nboots2.JPG

DrJ said:
I've always prefered the fork gaiters, you just don't see them on many street bikes. Even Harley has mini booties on their Nightster:
You can use these from Cycle Exchange:

Love the nightster (sorry guys - yes I Love sporty's).

Might have to pick those gaiters up myself!
Here's the add and the link:

"Gator boots ( fork boots ):
Our gator boots are different because they do not mount to your head light ears like OEM.
Our boots mount to your lower sliders and your fork tube.|
This will eliminate the need for OEM head light ears for a super clean and 60's, 70's look.
$ 19.95 "

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Honda%20Page.htm

Back
Top Bottom