Less than 300 lbs

Attachments

• D5FD3422-0ECD-4EC3-9BC5-F35A215BFF6F.jpeg
    D5FD3422-0ECD-4EC3-9BC5-F35A215BFF6F.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 518
  • C19F3681-B21C-4095-8B43-B25A5F83CB55.jpeg
    C19F3681-B21C-4095-8B43-B25A5F83CB55.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 349
Most if the lbs were lost due to carbon fiber. The 4 seat bolts weigh more than the seat. Here’s a pic of the battery/electronic mount under the seat.

Attachments

• A8ECCCB7-BE84-4643-A58B-E6188260E360.jpeg
    A8ECCCB7-BE84-4643-A58B-E6188260E360.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 361
some progress pics from making the carbon fiber parts.

Attachments

• Capturec.PNG
    Capturec.PNG
    222.3 KB · Views: 873
  • Captured.PNG
    Captured.PNG
    262.5 KB · Views: 872
CrabsAndCylinders said:
It would be great if you could document as much as you can. Do you have any advice on building with carbon fibre?

Brian

Advice? "Don't do it" LMAO

First off, I don't build bikes for a living, and I don't work with composites for a living. So don't think for one moment that I'm an expert. "Jocelynne" is the 3rd carbon fiber bike I have built. Mistakes are expensive. So heres what i learned.

1. you'll need a proper mold. any youtube video can help with that.
2. NO POLYESTER RESIN. except when making the mold
3. never use a paintbrush, always a squeegy when applying resin.
4. start small: hand layups on front fenders is good practice
5. easier to design a paint scheme and hide seams than try to make complex parts from one continuous piece

good luck

this rear hugger is seamed at the 90 degree angle. if not you get weave distortion. if you look at the seat you can see the seams which is covered with the seat pan on the finished product.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    313.3 KB · Views: 594
CrabsAndCylinders said:
Thanks for the reply. Carbon fibre may be beyond my abilities :)

I'm sure you can handle it. it just takes time and $$$$. Its just a long process and really not worth it unless you're gonna pull several parts out of the mold. I took several tries at the start to pull a perfect part, and i still screw up a piece occasionally. the mold has to be perfect unless you plan on painting the piece.

Shortround said:
I'm sure you can handle it. it just takes time and $$$$. Its just a long process and really not worth it unless you're gonna pull several parts out of the mold. I took several tries at the start to pull a perfect part, and i still screw up a piece occasionally. the mold has to be perfect unless you plan on painting the piece.

How do you keep things from curling over age. When I was younger I played a bit with carbon fiber and fiberglass, seemed that after some time, they would slowly curl in on themselves. But maybe that was due to using Polyester resin? (I can't actually remember what I used it's been a while...). Either way, parts and bike look fantastic. Great work!

MotorbikeBruno said:
How do you keep things from curling over age. When I was younger I played a bit with carbon fiber and fiberglass, seemed that after some time, they would slowly curl in on themselves. But maybe that was due to using Polyester resin? (I can't actually remember what I used it's been a while...). Either way, parts and bike look fantastic. Great work!

You just can’t use polyester resin with carbon. Well you can, but the working time is so short. Sounds like you used polyester or even vinyl ester epoxy. To much shrinkage, which is never a good thing. That stuff is made for boats. A couple of extra lbs doesn’t matter on a 1000 lb hull. Which is why they use gel coat and a ton of resin to keep if from distorting. And stay away from surfboard resin. Most is non-blushing which translates to Pain-In-The-Ass.

Back
Top Bottom