72 xs650.

Re: 72 xs650 bobber.

tag bracket/tail light mount done.
photo1-106.jpg

photo2-112.jpg

photo3-89.jpg

pamco ignition came in so i made some mounts for the coil up under the tank.
photo4-51.jpg

photo1-104.jpg

can barely see about a 1/4" when tank is mounted.
photo3-87.jpg

tanks bungs.
photo2-110.jpg

photo3-87.jpg

also made a new brake lever out of a few old ones i had laying around.
photo3-88.jpg

photo2-111.jpg

and today i blasted and polished the brake/clutch perches that were originally black.
polished vs. raw
photo1-105.jpg

and where im at tonight. im still waiting on a few parts, but i need to finalize the rear fender mounting and a few other bits before i tear her down for paint and wiring.
photo4-50.jpg

bars showed up tonight! so psyched on these. everyone should order bars from zombie performance. ive never dealt with such an understanding and reliable source for motorcycle parts, esp. one off bars that were mearly a description via email and then turned into these babes. the craftsmanship is incredible and these things are flawless. i know theyre just handlebars, but all the weld as perfect and everything is strait and true. im so happy i had staffan build these for me. i had them made a few inches wider than i needed as i wasnt sure what throttle and grips i was going to run. mocked em up in the trees and then cut 2 inches off each end. before cutting:
photo1-110.jpg

photo2-116.jpg

after i cut them down in width, i mocked up the throttle assembly as well as the brake & clutch perches to get a feel for the hand controls. after that i taped 4 little metal o rings in place that i will have a buddy tack in place as shown, and then theyre off to the chromer.
photo3-93.jpg

photo2-115.jpg

photo3-92.jpg

Damn. This thing is a stunner. Great work so far man! That said, your brake lever is too short for proper action. As it sits now, you would nearly have to point your toes directly down towards the pavement to get any pressure on the rear drum lever.

I'm digging this shit fosho. I like the tank and headlight selection :D oh and the handle bars are sick too, wish I was this far along. Just got my hardtail in today...

So sick, so clean, just love everything about it.

Should get your paint done by this guy...love his work...
http://fultonpaintworks.blogspot.com/

valvesprung said:
So sick, so clean, just love everything about it.

Should get your paint done by this guy...love his work...
http://fultonpaintworks.blogspot.com/

id love to! maybe i can start a DTT donation some how to make that happen. :)

VonYinzer said:
Damn. This thing is a stunner. Great work so far man! That said, your brake lever is too short for proper action. As it sits now, you would nearly have to point your toes directly down towards the pavement to get any pressure on the rear drum lever.
the way ive got it set up i can lock up the rear wheel with not very much foot movement. when i get her on the road and if it becomes a problem under load, ill simply make a new one. i think itll work alright, but only time will tell.

not much of an update, but i got a everything thats going to be black painted besides the frame.
photo1-111.jpg

the motor is coming out tomorrow. the frame will then get the welds smoothed and all sanded and then will get sprayed this week.

the rear wheel is all finished now. drilled a few speed holes and put in new shoes as well as a 32T sprocket.
photo3-94.jpg

photo4-53.jpg

photo2-117.jpg

photo5-26.jpg

got the forks all shaved of un needed bracketry and got them torn apart.
photo1-112.jpg

photo4-54.jpg

took them down the street to my buddies shop and used his lathe to spin them down true. one i had them straiter than an arrow, i took them to his cabinet and blasted off all the remaining black paint.
photo5-27.jpg

tomorrow ill start the tedious process of polishing them. they will be lowered 3" when i reassemble them.

applied the first of 3 coats to the frame tonight. looking forward to putting her back together for good.
photo3-95.jpg

andrew said:
bars showed up tonight! so psyched on these. everyone should order bars from zombie performance. ive never dealt with such an understanding and reliable source for motorcycle parts, esp. one off bars that were mearly a description via email and then turned into these babes. the craftsmanship is incredible and these things are flawless. i know theyre just handlebars, but all the weld as perfect and everything is strait and true. im so happy i had staffan build these for me. i had them made a few inches wider than i needed as i wasnt sure what throttle and grips i was going to run. mocked em up in the trees and then cut 2 inches off each end. before cutting:
photo1-110.jpg

photo2-116.jpg

after i cut them down in width, i mocked up the throttle assembly as well as the brake & clutch perches to get a feel for the hand controls. after that i taped 4 little metal o rings in place that i will have a buddy tack in place as shown, and then theyre off to the chromer.
photo3-93.jpg

photo2-115.jpg

photo3-92.jpg

I gotta say, even though it isnt finished, its already a dream bobber of mine! IT's sick, can't wait to see this done! Great work :D

jelloelstone said:
I gotta say, even though it isnt finished, its already a dream bobber of mine! IT's sick, can't wait to see this done! Great work :D
thank you, i really appreciate the kind words.

Back
Top Bottom