Rookie with some questions?

bananaclip

Been Around the Block
Guy's I just picked up a 74 cl 360 with 4000 original miles. I have never owned a motorcycle so I am going to put a ton of love into this one. My plans are to build a rigid with a different tank, bars, solo seat etc. I have been looking at the tc bros universal rig kit and needed your thoughts on this. Also if I could get some advise on a tank that will work on my bike? Any other advise for a first time bike builder would be great!

Just about any tank can be made to fit. Just depens on how much work youre comfortable with. That would be an easier question to answer specifically if you showed us what tanks you were interested in.

As far as hardtailing it, you unfortunatly picked one of the hardest frames out ther to do right. The cb350 and the cb360 are mostly stamped steel and have uneven frame rails under the ngine cradle. CHeck out my "Crimson Ghost" and Troybilts "Willow" build to see what I mean.

The TC Bros kit is a nice product for sure. But as I said, nothing is easy about hardtailing the 360.

You'll need a jig of some sort. And definitly need some really solid welding skills as well as access to some custom fab tools. Troybilts build will really show you what youre up against.

Now that thats all out there. It can be done. And you'll know you have one of the few chops based on these bikes out there which is rad.

Well, I am a long time offroader (Jeep Addict) and I can weld pretty well. I am not afraid of making stuff work! I just need advise on these little monsters you guy's are building! I have never owned a bike so any advise is great. What style tank would like sick on a cl bobber etc!

Again, anything looks good as long as YOU think it looks good. Search around the net and see what jumps out at you. For example, Im using a 1968 Chapparall mini bike tank. Troy is making his own from fibreglass, but has used a stock cb360 and Hodaka Wombat tanks. Ive seen Sportster tanks, off the wall mini bike or moped stuff, hand fabbed pieces, rare vintage Japanese tanks, old Triumph and BSA tanks... Its all about what you want. As far as something taht will just bolt right up, the stocker or a tank from a similar model Honda from the same time period is your best bet, unless you want to fab one yourself.

And when it comes to the welding, make SURE youre 100% comfortable with the project. One bad weld on a frame can make the difference between a killer little chop and you being splattered across the highway.

Thank you! I looked up troybuilt and it turns out that he lives about an hour away from me! How cool! ;)

Ok I need to know where I can find replacement diaphrams for my stock 74 cl 360 carbs? Thisw is the only thing holding me back from a smooth running scooter!

+1 on Troybilt, very standup guy. Proud to call him my friend.

Your not to bad either mike ;D

As for the tank, worry about that after you have figured out the frame etc. Let the bike speak to you first. Good idea to get it running well then rip it down and build what you want. You can make any tank fit with work but decide the style then find a tank that matches that, then make it fit. What's your budget, being a jeep guy you must be used to shelling out $$ on projects, nothing's cheap in the offroad world. JK

Cheers,

Maritime

bananaclip said:
Ok I need to know where I can find replacement diaphrams for my stock 74 cl 360 carbs? Thisw is the only thing holding me back from a smooth running scooter!

Youre better off just buying a set of Mikuni VM30 carbs. Diaphrams are no longer made. Pain in the ass to find, and when you do theyre expensive.

Appreciate the kind words fellas but don't listen to them brother. They are just trying to ruin my reputation. haha.

Welcome to the madness man. Where are you located? If I can be of anyhelp at all don't hesitate. Sounds like I'm just up the road.
I think if you end up going with the TC bros you may consider keeping the swinger in place and weld the new tubing to the axle plates. If you want some stretch out back you can move the swingarm to the passenger pegs first. That should give 5-6". Anyhow, once its welded, cut away the swingarm. I have a different thread but it is pretty long and full of a bunch of crap. Not sure if it will be of any help but here it is:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=10375.0

Back
Top Bottom