CB360 Cafe Project

AzHonda said:
Nice! How was it trueing your wheels? I am still at that point where I need mine trued and have lost interest in it so they may go into the shop to be done.
Yea I am kind of procasstinating trueing my wheels. I just have a feeling it might be a long process, and I am not 100% sure how to do it right now. But I really want a rolling chassis.

It's not too bad. I did mine for the first time last year. It took about four hours for lacing and truing for both. I bet I could get it down to about two at this point...

Sonreir said:
It's not too bad. I did mine for the first time last year. It took about four hours for lacing and truing for both. I bet I could get it down to about two at this point...
I think I will give it a wack today before work. Doubt I will get done, but I just might. Just seems soo boring.

1976cb356 said:
I think I will give it a wack today before work. Doubt I will get done, but I just might. Just seems soo boring.

Exactly! I started on mine and ten minutes in, my mind started wondering over to my XL250 build. ;D

Bought an angle die grinder, because who doesnt need one. I love this thing. Didnt work on my tank that much today but got it cleaned up a little and welded for about 2 minutes and didnt have patient because it looked like pigeon shit.
1000063vl.jpg

1000064k.jpg

B
1000065w.jpg

1000066q.jpg

1000067e.jpg

like what I have done with it so far, still a long ways to go. Does anyone know of some really light body filler?
I know theres lightweight bondo, just wondering if theres something lighter that I dont know about.
1000068p.jpg

1000069ir.jpg

1000070a.jpg

1000071wk.jpg

1000072r.jpg

1000074sm.jpg

Thanks for looking!

BriMed1983 said:
lovin the fab work on your tank. Was it the original cb360 tank to start with?

-Brian
Thanks, and it was a cb500t tank, I wanted to exaggerate the knee indents alittle more and didnt like the look so moved to plan B.

Hey Bryce the bikes looking good man! Git'er done!

Oh yeah just some friendly advice: dump or spray some brakleen or acetone, something that will evaporate quickly, in the tank and check it for leaks even if you plan to seal it with por or kreem. I've welded tanks and sealed them only to have them spring a pinhole leak under the paint and bubble it. Gas will leak out of ANYTHING! It pays to check for leaks and then go back and weld again to seal the holes. Keep after it until you get them all. You can put a weld down and then you grind it flat and open up another leak!

cyclhed said:
Hey Bryce the bikes looking good man! Git'er done!

Oh yeah just some friendly advice: dump or spray some brakleen or acetone, something that will evaporate quickly, in the tank and check it for leaks even if you plan to seal it with por or kreem. I've welded tanks and sealed them only to have them spring a pinhole leak under the paint and bubble it. Gas will leak out of ANYTHING! It pays to check for leaks and then go back and weld again to seal the holes. Keep after it until you get them all. You can put a weld down and then you grind it flat and open up another leak!
Thats one of my fears, that I get it painted and then it bubbles. I was going to see if I could pressure test it with soapy water, but I will definalty try this out. I will probably take awhile to get it all sealed up. For all you know there could be spots that are super thin, but you can't tell. This is where prep is important.

Thanks a lot man, your build is getting there as well.

looking good. the POR-15 in your pics works really well. ive used it several times. take your time welding it'll be fine.

Great looking build! I'm jealous of your wheels. Did you buy new spokes or sand down the originals? I have a hard time spending $200 on spokes for my build.

blkgsx90 said:
Great looking build! I'm jealous of your wheels. Did you buy new spokes or sand down the originals? I have a hard time spending $200 on spokes for my build.
Thanks man, I bought new spokes. Wheels can be somewhat expensive, but well worth the money (if you ask me). Matte black wheels look sick too.

IMG_1075.jpg

Hey Bryce, in this photo: did you just drill out the tiny retaining pins? I think I saw somewhere that crazypj said to use a 1/8" bit, but I just wanted to make sure that's what I needed to do before I started drilling anything out. I have new bearings, but I was surprised to find those pins holding in the retainer as well. Thanks!

Yep just drill in about 1/4'' and it will come right out. Hope that helps. I willl get back on my project soon enough

Thanks, that worked perfectly after making a little tool to unscrew it (scrap wood and 2 screws). Did you have any trouble getting the bearings out? Took it to a tire shop, but they didn't have the right sized puller... Wasn't sure if I could just tap them out myself. Thanks for any advice and I'm looking forward to your updates.

This looks similar to a GL1000 rear rim I just did. Bearings came out pretty easily with a long enough punch. Took me 3 hits and the one side came out, and 2 for the other...I guess they were a tad worn eh? Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see this thing all together!

Back
Top Bottom