My First Build, XS750

IMG00312-20111003-1348.jpg

ChrisBR said:
Thanks for all the kind words!Okay now, I need to see this bike, what was the process of the fork upgrade? Sounds amazing.

Hey mate. Sure, I will atach a pick of the bike as it is with the front end... I have only just finished making the caliper plate adapters out of MDF for the SV650 brakes... so I don't have a pic of that yet.. I will get some billet alloy ones flow-jetted from these mdf models. Should brake good after that ;D LOL
Have put a Ducati Imola 750SS solo seat on it... clip-ons, new billet lever and master cylinder set.. custom gauge mounts.. (used an old Harley Sportster speedo bracket to mount the Tacho in dead centre of top clamp and a tiny 1 3/4 inch speedo offset of that... got a little 7 inch H4 headlight I'm going to use and a Dunstall Reverse cone pipe. Just scored a sweet little Puig headlight screen too which i will paint to match the tank and seat and fender.... I'm going for an old school gloss with flake overlay and contrast color insert in the knee cut-outs in the tank :) Can't wait... suppossed to be finished this thing in less than a month for the DEUS EX MACHINA build-off in Sydney... but I haven't even finished the frame yet in order to get it powder coated. and the engine is an abortion... the oil filter thread totally broke out the bottom of case and the noob before that owned this thing broke the 15 year old spark plug thread off in the head :eek: :'( so.. plenty to do there... Also just welded a nice little tab on my down tube for the steering damper I've mounted... looking good and should handle nicely when finished... But I digress.. here she is at moment LOL
d-XS750-side-view.jpg

the RGV front end is a straight swap... same cone bearings ;) Just need to have the insides bored out to take the R6 components for the weight.... this one was rebuilt by a race mob here in Oz and is running Ohlins gear... so should be a pleasure to ride one day.. can't wait ay.

Thats great! I thought I was at a loss for fork swaps. More hours of online research and staring blankly at my bike will resume shortly. Haha.

ChrisBR said:
Thats great! I thought I was at a loss for fork swaps. More hours of online research and staring blankly at my bike will resume shortly. Haha.
Mate, if you PM me your email address I will send you a list of all the axle and headstem bearing sizes for most older jap bikes.. that way you can cross-reference to see what will fit your steering neck ;)

Regards,
Steve

Long time, no post. Heres where it sits as of now. Everything has been taken apart and either cleaned or refinished. All thats left is to finish up the top end. Im on the wall about honing the cylinders and putting in new rings, and slapping on the 850 head ive aquired.

OOORRR ive heard of bigger pistons from an 850 or 1100 with getting the jugs bored. Any thoughts or suggestions with this one?

Anyways, on to the pictures. Sexy dent in that tank, eh?

IMG_6724.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

Looks pretty rad! I've been thinking of putting a similar seat on mine, glad to see that it works visually. Any updates? If you get three of the Wiseco pistons for the XS1100, you could take your 850 engine up to 1000.

I made the seat pan from a flat piece of about 16 or so guage steel. Then took it to a local upholstery shop and let him know what I wanted. A few days later it came out nicely. The front of the steel sheet is bent up and out to blend with the tank, and the rear portion has a bit of an upward curve. I plan on rounding out the rear of the frame with a hoop to wrap around the rear of the seat.

As far as the pistons, thats all ive got left to do. However, I cant justify paying the 400 for new pistons at the moment, so im rehoning the jugs, and getting new rings for the pistons.

Ill gather the parts and 850 jugs that the 74mm weisco piston require as time goes by. Ive also read that I may need a bit of the thicker copper head gasket? True?

Anways, I pushed the bike out of the garage this weekend to clean. Had to take a picture. My R32 has been cleaning out my wallet. New paint thoough!

IMG00572-20120428-1849.jpg

dooood! you NEED to update us all on the progress of this bike!! this thing is seriously gorgeous! i thought it was clean before, but man did you put in some nice work over the winter to freshen it all up! please don't leave us hangin' man, i gotta see how this one comes out!

Long time without a reply. I moved and didnt have adequate workspace. However to answer a few questions, the engine was painted with all VHT paints: wrinkle black plus and gloss black. The grips I found off ebay a while back. Since then ive tossed them and added some shortened classic bars by emgo and some basic jackhammer grips.

Battery is coming next but Ill have to remake a box for it, as im wanting a bit smaller AGM battery to fit between the tabs on that lower bar behind the engine.

Back
Top Bottom