www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1984 Yamaha FJ 600- Rise of "The Mighty Jig"  (Read 35944 times)

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 1984 Yamaha FJ 600- Rise of "The Mighty Jig"
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2011, 14:33:20 »
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing her come to life!
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #11 on: Aug 06, 2011, 10:50:29 »
Shopping for basics in two days: battery, filter, oil, etc.  A local friend is GIVING me a set of clean '87 FZ600 carbs to swap out, if only so I can get her running sooner than later. I seem to remember the FJ's having a Barnett kit installed in them, so I'm not getting rid of them.  We'l see.  Obviousy, with a swap out, some adjustments will need to be made. Duh.  I'm just updating what I know.

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2011, 12:18:26 »
Ok, I'm poking at the FJ as much as I can, with funds, time and energy being my nemesis.

First the good news: Changed out the oil and filter:

Bad news...had to take my way-trick-back-in-the-day Vance and Hines exhaust off:

The metal is intact, just shitty looking with all of the rust.  I'll have to table that idea for a bit:

Donor FZ600 carbs GIVEN to me, that were clean as of a year ago:

Versus my original ones that may or may not have a jet kit in them:

Question: what's the best way to remove bar-ends without unsightly vice-grip tool marks?

Not that I'm crazy about the bar set-up to begin with.

The surface corrosion beneath the throttle is part of the reason I'd like to get the bar-ends off

And in the cart-before-the-horse department: a new battery.  Charged it up, put it in, and just to see if the wiring was as intact as I remember, I turned the key.......and nothing. The wiring diagram doesn't appear to have a break in the whole of the system if the headlight or gas tank are removed, but then again, I haven't had a chance to go all OCD on the subject yet.  Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for looking!

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2011, 10:47:27 »
From an electrical standpoint, I've determined that the starter relay and the sidestand relay are "out of spec" and new ones have been independantly ordered. Thankfully, the really expensive one, the flasher relay, is still good.  I have yet to even attempt to see if she'll fire up, since I haven't swapped out the carbs yet.  I'm merely cleaning everything as I go along, just so I can have it running as I remember it by a very symbolic Decemeber 14th. I did receive a replacement fairing that I bought online.  Now, nothing is perfect, and it's far and away in better condition that the one I had.  However, it's not without its issues, and some of the ABS needs to be reinforced at the fairing-stay connections, and at one of the two headlight trim retainer fittings.  I'm told Duramix has a number of products that will help this....so I'll be ordering a few things later next week.  That's the update for now.

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:39:46 »
Soda-blasting this weekend: just this; Hi temp-rattle can to follow

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:10:35 »
....and success! The Vance and Hines exhaust is ready for blasting.

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2011, 09:45:04 »
As promised.  The now-separated V&H exhaust.....and the bonus was shaking out the remnants of whatever was living in there

Next up is cleaning up this area.  Dig the custom aluminum bracket that, I'm guessing the P.O. (pre-1992) had made, or made him/herself.

...and I'm cleaning up all of the coil stuff, mainly because I can rationalize parting with another $150 just to replace them. 

All of the brackets have spent the night in a environmentally friendly solution of lemon-juice and baking soda.  Not a fabulous result, but perhaps a rattle can job to make them look as though I give a crap.  More to that later.

do to list moved to page 1
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2011, 22:31:33 by Kickeroo »

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2011, 17:58:24 »
After shots of the V&H exhaust when a buddy sandblasted them:
yes, I suck at metal polishing

The header.

In other news:
Coils all cleaned, and the relays have been installed.  The entire electrical system is now functional, including brake lights, horn, turn signals and the biggie: the starter.
I replaced the decrepit NGK's for E3 3.36, and for giggles, I pushed the starter button, if only to circulate some oil. SHE CRANKS!!!!
Because I'm an idiot, I'll have to drain the Fully Synthetic 10W30 soon, because I have new cluitch plates to install.  I know this, well, because you can pull the clutch lever, and yes, I checked, the cable is fine. 
My rattle-can paint job on the exhaust is next.  It won't be pretty, but it'll look better than what I had.

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:57:47 »
Clutch plates are in, and a new cable is on order, because it just makes good sense.  This'll give me something to do while Hurrican Irene hits Central Virginia.