www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1984 Yamaha FJ 600- Rise of "The Mighty Jig"  (Read 34446 times)

Offline regal7point5

Re: 1984 Yamaha FJ 600- Rise of "The Mighty Jig"
« Reply #30 on: Sep 21, 2011, 10:40:53 »
Nevermind...I just checked your profile and saw you are in the Reams Rd area.  I am in that area quite often...let me know if you need a hand.  You are a member of the Facebook group, RVA Cafe Moto Culture, right?  Good info and contacts on there as well.

Aaron
1972 Yamaha LT2 Enduro
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1980 Yamaha SR250

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #31 on: Sep 21, 2011, 14:23:10 »
Kickeroo, where in RVA are you?  I was in Midlo and just moved to Powhatan and have a 86 Radian.  I'd love to swing by or at least offer moral support, parts comparisons, etc if you need it.  Having a live running bike can be a great thing when rebuilding to compare components to.

Aaron

I'm just off of Reams Road in Chesterfield, if that helps.

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #32 on: Sep 21, 2011, 14:24:38 »
And yes, I'm on the RVA Cafe FB group.

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #33 on: Sep 22, 2011, 18:20:28 »
I changed out the clutch cable and was happy to see that the clutch assembly is much smooter than I originally thought.  Moved on to the great Carb Swap.  I yanked out the FJ's with no problem, and inspected them to see what I would need for the FZ carbs that a Facebook friend gave me.  Well, one significant difference is that it appears the FZ originally had a 3-prong gas intake piping arrangement versus the FJ's original single gas intake. So, it's back to the Microfiche world to see what it'll take to upgrade...beyond a few exta lenghts of fuel piping.  I'm guessing/hoping a one-in-three-out fitting exists?
Yeah.... I didn't know what I was talking about.

Anyhooo....well it turns out that FZ 600's had 30mm carbs, and Good ol' FJ 600's had 32mm Mikunis.  Well then, that makes for some fitting issues I'm not too crazy about...so.....my old carbs are currently having a Simple Green soaking.  I'll rinse and dry them as best as I can, and if all goes swimmingly, then I'll move on to the rear swingarm and replacing fork seals. 
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011, 07:48:10 by Kickeroo »

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #34 on: Sep 23, 2011, 07:49:46 »
Other news...info trail on the 'net tells me that FZ racers back in the day often swapped ou their 30mm carbs for the 32mm carbs I have.  So I have THAT going for me, which is nice.

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #35 on: Sep 26, 2011, 14:19:27 »
Ok....when I swapped out the relays gave a momentary push of the starter button, the starter cranked.
Now, with everything plumbed up (carbs, tank, etc).  i push the button, I get a clicking from the relay, and nothing from the starter.
HELP!!!!!!!

Online Bozz

• not nearly cool enough website
« Reply #36 on: Sep 26, 2011, 14:54:10 »
sounds like insufficient amperage from battery to crank engine against compression.

Is it possible that your test crank had the spark plugs removed?

Other possibility is too much resistance in the solenoid.  Try carefully shorting the 2 main solenoid (starter relay) wires with a screwdriver.

If the starter jumps when you short, it's the relay (solenoid).  If it still doesn't, then it is likely the battery.

Could also be the ground wire.  The battery usually grounds to the frame while the starter grounds through the engine cases.  Check ground strap between engine and frame as well as all ground connections for corrosion.
Cheers!
-Bozz

(All opinions worth less than you paid for them!)

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #37 on: Sep 27, 2011, 13:18:49 »
SUCESS!!! (ish).  Checked all of the grounds I could find, cleaned them.  Gave a polite tapping to the dodgy flash-relay unitl the neutral light came on.  And so...she cranked!   ....but didn't start. :(
I sprayed in a few puffs of started spray.  I got a few pops, but no real ignition. :-\
My fuel lines are a bit long and I saw that the one after the fuel filter I put in was kinking, so I'll adjust that in a bit.
All in all I'm encouraged. 8)

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #38 on: Sep 27, 2011, 14:00:43 »
Fuel line sorted and now carbs 3 and 4 are leaking.  rats.

Offline Kickeroo

« Reply #39 on: Sep 29, 2011, 07:42:23 »
Carb kits ordered, and professional help has been recruited.
Onto fork seals, brakes, chain, tires and replacing all of the bearings and fitting in the wheels, and swingarm.