Rear LED Running/brake/signal

tylermoney

Too fast to live. Too young to die.
Hello there,

Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent LED running light? At the moment, I just have a single break light, but I'd like something that would run at all times in the rear of the bike.... especially for nighttime riding (is it possible to set my current break light to also work as a running light?). I know there are some out there that also double as signals and brake lights.... that would be fine too. Just trying to get ideas/options together because I'd like to start going to some bike night events, but don't really want to get caught in the dark with how my bike currently is. It's a blast during the day, it's going to be scary at night me thinks. Thanks in advance for any information.

My break light:

IMG_4865.jpg

Yes, utilizing the right diodes and resistor, you can create a circuit that gives you a dimmer running light and a brighter brake light, all from the same rear unit. I did this very thing with my build, and works beautifully. do a Google search and you'll find the circuit.

Awesome. I think that's what I'll do then. Keeping the bike simple is my goal... but I would like some more safety as well. Thanks.

RoadRash said:
Yes, utilizing the right diodes and resistor, you can create a circuit that gives you a dimmer running light and a brighter brake light, all from the same rear unit. I did this very thing with my build, and works beautifully. do a Google search and you'll find the circuit.

Depending on what kind of bulb is in the light, you might also be able to swap in a dual-filiment bulb. Or instead of dealing with diodes, resistors and headaches (..can you tell i can't solder?) you might be able to shove a smaller, dimmer bulb which would be the runnig light into the housing along side the brake light.
If you're keen on diodes, that circut sounds like a helluva idea. I, on the other hand, would try to shove something into the existing light fixture.

Turns out it was already set up to run as a running/brake light. The running light filament was burt out. Just had to buy a replacement bulb.

Back
Top Bottom