Ignition System Cutting Out Between Idle and 3000RPM.Trike Teaser Pic Added.

Re: Ignition System Randomly Cutting Out Between Idle and 3000RPM.

Hmmmmm bugger... can you stop ruling out all the simple stuff now please? :p

Just kiddin'... there's gotta be something simple missing somewhere... just gotta figure out what, which is the whole point really... :eek:

peteGS said:
Hmmmmm bugger... can you stop ruling out all the simple stuff now please? :p

Just kiddin'... there's gotta be something simple missing somewhere... just gotta figure out what, which is the whole point really... :eek:

I think so too.Something simple.I haven't pulled the tank yet.I didn't get to work on my bike as I planned.I haven't felt so well today.Got up feeling ok and checked the forums.Then I really started feeling bad, so I took a nap and got up feeling worse.I think it may be a flue.My stomach is all messed up,I got a persistent head ache,and I just feel weak n wobbly.It maybe an ear infection again. :-[

ben2go said:
I think so too.Something simple.I haven't pulled the tank yet.I didn't get to work on my bike as I planned.I haven't felt so well today.Got up feeling ok and checked the forums.Then I really started feeling bad, so I took a nap and got up feeling worse.I think it may be a flue.My stomach is all messed up,I got a persistent head ache,and I just feel weak n wobbly.It maybe an ear infection again. :-[

Mate in that case just take it easy and get rid of that first, then once you're better you can worry about the bike :)

Whatever "it" was that I had,seems to have passed.I was feeling a lot better today but worn out.So I did some mindless busy work.I tore out some shelves that my uncle had built into my big building before he passed away,and I took over the building.I'm about ready to start the resto to running bike and the trike.I'll make two different threads on those.I'm jacking my own thread,but I'll get over it.LOL ;D

Hahahahahahaha jacking your own thread... that's a new one! Haha

Make sure you pass on links to the new threads coz I miss a heap of new ones over here...

peteGS said:
Hahahahahahaha jacking your own thread... that's a new one! Haha

Make sure you pass on links to the new threads coz I miss a heap of new ones over here...

Will do on the links.

TEEEEEEZZZZZZEEEEEERRRRRRR PICS! :p :p :p

I am planning a trip to California to see some friends next year.I plan to take the southerly route out and northerly route back home.My idea is to stay off the I system and run secondary roads,maybe Route 66.This is what's taking me there and back.
teaserpics3.jpg

The purple bike will be donating the replacement parts for the red bike.The purple bike has sub frame damage.I could repair it but I'd rather use it for trike mock up.After the trike build,I'll put a different sub frame and tail on it.Both bikes run.
teaserpics4.jpg

Here is the pic that some have been longing for.The Tite Trike build.It start life with me building a track bike from a 90 GS500E bare frame.I mocked everything up.Then I broke down the bike for paint/powder coat,and my track buddy gave up on bikes.Yep,another falls to the wicked wilds of a woman.So it sat for a couple years.I got to looking at an old rear suspension I have laying around my car port.I had one of those light bulb moments and the Tite Trike project was born.It's hard to see, but there are enough parts in there to build two GS500.You can see the frame wrapped with card board and mystery auto parts laying between the frame rails.Severe teaser pic. :p
teaserpics.jpg

What exhaust system and what intake/filter arrangement is on the bike? You mentioned earlier that you re-jetted it. Was the problem always there or just after it was jetted? When did it appear?

Air filter is a K&N lunch box.
carbvacuumports.jpg

Exhaust is a stock GS500 header mated to a Hayabusa D&D right side muffler.
04seat10.jpg

The issues started long after the rejet and other mods.Everything was done 3+ years ago.I rejetted back then.The recent rejet was because the old ones were plugged from the bike sitting for 2 years.I upped the mains one larger to richen the mix.The plugs were a little to white.I think the ethanol content has went up in our fuels here.The weather has turned crappy here so I won't be able to touch my bike until the end of the week or week end.

my guess is a partial blockage in one of teh tiny fuel passageways in the carbs. Are you 110% sure that you got the correct pilot jets? Mikuni BS series used three different jets at different times. They look similar but are very different in flow

Nice big filter there. Exhaust may be making it a little lean.

Check float bowl passages and the pilot and main air drillings as well as the outlets. Those carbs have 2 0r 3 bleed outlets and they must be clear. Check with thin wire.

A lot of other people run identical set as mine as far as exhaust,air filter,mix screw settings,and jetting.There's no sign of a lean condition.The plug chop revealed a nice tanish color below 3000 rpm,above 3000 rpm there a dark tanish color.The carbs are clean.Compressed air moves through them freely.Good thing I wear safety glasses.LOL The last rejet and cleaning was almost 3000 miles ago.I've only had the miss the last 200 or so.The weather is supposed to be clear and cool tomorrow.If the wind isn't to rough,I may take a crack at solving the mystery.

At low revs those plugs should look a lot darker than that because the plug tips are not hot enough to burn clean.

CDI/Igniters rarely miss like that but it's possible that yours is bad. Did you already swap that out?

Have you tried new plug caps and cutting 1/4" off the end of the HT lead?

Does it always stutter and stumble the same at low revs or is it sometimes OK and sometimes not? ie is it consistent or sporadic?

You mention that adding and advancer shifted the revs at which it occurs/stops. That's odd, but may point to poor combustion at those revs and lighting the fire earlier seems to improve things. It would be very useful if you could run it with a timing (strobe) light to see that it's advancing properly.

teazer said:
At low revs those plugs should look a lot darker than that because the plug tips are not hot enough to burn clean.

CDI/Igniters rarely miss like that but it's possible that yours is bad. Did you already swap that out?
NO I HAVEN'T DONE THAT YET.IT'S ON MY LIST TO DO THE NEXT CHANCE I GET.

Have you tried new plug caps and cutting 1/4" off the end of the HT lead?
MY ORIGINAL COILS HAD THE WIRES AND CAPS REPLACED.NO CHANGE SO I TRIED A DIFFERENT SET.STILL NO CHANGE.

Does it always stutter and stumble the same at low revs or is it sometimes OK and sometimes not? ie is it consistent or sporadic?
IT IS RANDOM AND SPORADIC.IT SEEMS TO HAPPEN MORE OFTEN WHEN THE BIKE IS HOT AND UNDER A LOAD,SUCH AS PULLING A HILL AT LOW REVS OR PULLING UP A HILL FROM A STOP.

You mention that adding and advancer shifted the revs at which it occurs/stops. That's odd, but may point to poor combustion at those revs and lighting the fire earlier seems to improve things. It would be very useful if you could run it with a timing (strobe) light to see that it's advancing properly.
I'LL SEE IF MY LOCAL AUTO PARTS SHACK HAS ONE FOR RENT/BORROW.I'LL GET A VID

I could kick my ass for selling my big tool box and all my tools when the shop closed where I was working.I had bills to pay tho and job to use the tools at.

teazer said:
My timing light was less than 50 bucks from Sears, so I searched and found this one.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5125846801P?blockNo=4&blockType=G4&prdNo=4&i_cntr=1319213110272

High load, low rpm sounds like jetting or a weak ignition but they are usually good at low revs and drop off as revs rise. Just for giggles, try it with pilot jets one size smaller/larger just to see what happens. Or try the fuel/float level up/down by 1mm.

1 jet size down causes hanging idle.1 jet size up cause a soggy bottom end.I'll check the float levels and adjust them to see what happens.

Being that my issue is at low rpm,could it be a charging system issue?My battery is in top shape and has no issues starting the bike after sitting for a couple weeks and well,it's new ish.I did a charging system check back in spring but crap breaks down.I'll check it again anyway to be sure.Also,I noticed that my valves are getting tight.It's time to check and adjust.That could be my problem,a tight valve.If I can get the honey do list done in time,I'll screw up,I mean screw with my bike some and report back.

That is a real possibility. I'd suggest that you check teh voltage , not running, at idle and at say 3,000 rpm and 5,000 rpm and see what's going on. If it's drawing more current that the battery has available at low revs that could cause a misfire.

You could also try running it with the headlight disconnected and see if that makes any difference.

My multimeter is fooked. :mad: It will test voltage but not resistance.Wish I had my old fluke back.

Here's the charging system break down.
Voltage at battery
engine off 12.8
idle 1200 rpm 14.18
3000 rpm 13.48
5000 rpm 13.49
Battery drain test came in at 0.60 ma.Sevice limit is 1.5 ma.

Stator voltage varied between 85 and 89.Service minimum is 75 volts.I still have to pull the tank and check voltage at the ignition coils.

ben2go said:
My multimeter is fooked. :mad: It will test voltage but not resistance.Wish I had my old fluke back.

Here's the charging system break down.
Voltage at battery
engine off 12.8
idle 1200 rpm 14.18
3000 rpm 13.48
5000 rpm 13.49
Battery drain test came in at 0.60 ma.Sevice limit is 1.5 ma.

Stator voltage varied between 85 and 89.Service minimum is 75 volts.I still have to pull the tank and check voltage at the ignition coils.

Hate to say it but those figures tell me your R/R ain't working right.

They're similar to what mine shows and it's a dud, voltage should be increasing up to 14. something at 5K RPM, not start at 14. something and drop...

Could be just connections rather than a faulty R/R, but it's definitely not right... might also be unrelated to your issue...

peteGS said:
Hate to say it but those figures tell me your R/R ain't working right.

They're similar to what mine shows and it's a dud, voltage should be increasing up to 14. something at 5K RPM, not start at 14. something and drop...

Could be just connections rather than a faulty R/R, but it's definitely not right... might also be unrelated to your issue...

I just went through,cleaned all my bikes electrical connections, and put it fresh dielectric grease.I think my reg/rect is shot.I have another one but the damn screws are rusted into the mounting plate on my purple bike.I'll pull it out tomorrow and drill out the screws.Speaking of my purple bike,I was looking at it to night,and it only has 3018 miles on it.All the GS5s I have bought have had less than 5000 miles on them.

Back
Top Bottom