Wiring Harness Question

vtwin650

Been Around the Block
While I am waiting on paint to be completed, I have been reading a lot of threads about building/creating a new/custom wiring harness to get rid of all of the cluttered wires and old crusty harness.

A couple days back I came across a thread where someone on here had hand drawn a very cool sketch of "how" the wiring harness should be...it was very cartoonish and was easier for my brain to process than typical wiring diagrams.
But know (after searching for 2 hours) I cannot relocate that sketch. Anyone know who posted it and where I can view it again.

And on that note, any tips about building a harness would be greatly appreciated. What gauge wire is best, etc?
I am looking to get rid of as much as possible - no starter, blinkers, etc.

You mean like this one?

cb750wiring.jpg

this is the original full version
ebe35d7e-4315-4baa-adcf-c76d8fa79b80

YES!!! :)

That is great - Thanks.
Now the only real question - is it a useful sketch, can I bank on it?

14-18 gauge wire is cool. Use good weather proof connectors. That drawing above is more like an example and not how you would make a harness. Loosely follow that. You'd be better off just using the factory wiring and taking out the wires in the loom that you wont be using and re-wrapping the harness with good weather proof tape OEM style.

Good luck!

it seems to me that my cb360 would be wired very close to this, minus 2 spark plugs.
Am I kidding myself?

Yes, I suppose that's basically true. Can't speak for wire colors off the top of the head though. What I usually do is go through each and every wire on the bike with the diagram in my lap and figure each one out. Maybe even redraw the diagram in color, by hand to force yourself to cover and understand each one. Ask questions here when you have them.

It's intimidating, but it's all pretty simple stuff and a bike like this is a fantastic way to start.

vtwin650 said:
it seems to me that my cb360 would be wired very close to this, minus 2 spark plugs.
Am I kidding myself?

Yes,sorta ;)
You have a different style of alternator so don't use (have ) the white wire from regulator to alternator
Apart from that, it will work

I'm looking at my bike and thinking "there seems to be far to many wires here" I mean all that we need is spark/charging/lighting right? Currently my bike has wires and wires that seemingly go to nothing. I'm looking at this, would it be the right piece to build my custom harness off of?

The VRREM4-SOHC for 1969~1978 SOHC Honda fours.
This unit comes with the connectors and mounting hardware to install it on
your bike. This is the easiest options for full on custom bikes that use a
minimal or custom wiring harness. There are 5 wire that connect to the
alternator side of the engine leaving only 3 to connect to the harness.

For bikes that still use the original wiring harness, see the VRREM7-H
lower on this page.

This unit comes with 2 repair harnesses to splice it into the wiring on your
bike and a packet of splicing supplies. All the terminals to populate the
plugs for the harness in case you don't need the extra length of the harness
sections.

Back
Top Bottom