bare bones cb360 electrical questions

sbaugz

DTT BOTM winner
Hello,
So I just got a cb360 from craigslist for $150 and am planning a brat style build.
A couple questions about electrical- the guy I bought it from basically took the entire wiring harness apart and everything is all mixed up. Also, the lights, gauges and hand controls are all broken and I don't really want to replace. Because of this, my plan for the bike is absolutely bare-bones minimum to keep this build low cost. (already spent way too much on my CB200 build).

I am getting rid of starter, starter solenoid, horn, battery, turn signals, all indicator lights, along with the speedo and tach gauges and lights associated with them.

I will basically be running kick start only with a headlight and LED taillight, and that's it. As far as hand controls, I am running bare mininum- no buttons at all- just control levers. I will wire up a toggle switch to turn headlight on and off after engine is running, and a toggle switch for "kill" function. I plan on keeping ignition key if possible.

My question is, would this be possible with a cb360? I also have a cb200 and everything I have read says that the charging system pretty much sucks on that bike and it might be hard running without battery. Just wondering if that also applies with the cb360?

Any advise, guidance, direction, or whatever you want to call it would be appreciated. I would assume I have to keep regulator and rectifier correct? Do I really need a capacitor or a small battery? Again- was hoping to get rid of as much as possible.

I posted a similar question. The answer I got was that it wasn't possible to completely eliminate the battery because the coils need 12v from somewhere. There are a couple posts regarding smaller batteries that can be installed under the seat so that there isn't a battery box anymore.

Regarding a bare bones wiring schematic, look at oregonmotorcycleparts.com. He has on his site a simplified schematic. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll provide. I also have a complete color-coded wiring schematic.

See http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12178 for discussion on running without the battery.

Keep the battery and charging system, but starter and button can go. I prefer to keep indicators but they could be eliminated if your state allows that.

Hand controls are not too expensive and there are some neat aftermarket switches available at reasonable prices. I grabbed one with HL Off-Dip-Main, indicators and horn in one switch for around 40 bucks off ebay. It's not exactly Motogadget quality, but it's good enough for teh job. LED flashers are dirt cheap and flasher cans are available at less than 10 bucks at your local auto store.

Back
Top Bottom