Spark from Points, Normal?

A

arudeseal

I have read both that it is normal and not normal for there to be sparks at the point gaps on my CL350. I am definitely getting small sparks when the bike is running, and when turning the rotor by hand. Plugs are new, condenser is new, timing is perfect. Just wanted to be sure this is normal before I move on.
Thanks!
Andrew

Cool, there is definately strong spark at the plugs. Bike starts right up on first kick.
Thanks!
Andrew

As long as there isn't enough spark to cause the bike to misfire with the points cover on. You're good. You should be able to see the spark with dim lighting, but it shouldn't arc very brightly.

You always get some sparking at points, make sure they are clean, maybe a good idea to change condensers when you change points (unless you've done it already?)
Condensers need to be 'matched' to coils but I've forgotten how to work out microfarads needed from primary coil resistance

also check the points aren't burned in. both clean and completely touching each other.

When they are burnt, pitted, and timing can't be set to spot on would be my guess. They're cheap enough that you could do it yearly just an insurance. I set my valves and timing every 3 months, or with every oil change, which ever comes first. Condensers are pretty cheap too. A good tune up would replace condenser, points, plugs as well as adjusting valves and setting timing. Once you get good at it, you can do all of it in about an hour.

If you ride pretty regurlarly, 3 months is way too long to go between oil changes. MC engines have tighter tolerances, and wear faster than a car motor. 1000 miles between changes is my max.

1,500 miles for air cooled motor oil change
12,000 for plugs and points (and condensers)
Check valve adjustment every 1,500 until you know it's settled down then every 3,000miles (after a re-build, 500, 1,200 then around 3,000 unless something isor feels wrong ;) )
Doing everything more frequently is just wasting time, money and resources
You could always check service schedule in manual ;D

Back
Top Bottom