Where to buy electric start wire

coupe68

I need the wire/ handlebar switch for the electric start motor. There is an electric start motor on my bike, but no wire to the handlebar..or switch/button to turn on. I checked ebay and couldn't find anything

The wire won't go from the switch to the starter. The switch activates the solenoid. The solenoid is wired to the battery, and also the starter. Switches should be available on ebay used.

Just a start button and/or kill switch? Something like this, maybe?

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vvintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-handlebar-electronic-parts-start-stop-control-switch-12-0202.html

"The wire won't go from the switch to the starter. The switch activates the solenoid. The solenoid is wired to the battery, and also the starter. Switches should be available on ebay used."

Nice! I was wondering how it worked...I am a newbie when it comes to electrical components. I see wires and I run the other way lol.

A starter circuit is pretty simple.

Starters draw a lot of current. You would never run all that power through a push button. Rather, the starter button just activated the coil in the starter relay. The relay handles the high current. Generally speaking, the distance between battery and relay, and relay and starter are kept fairly short.

When you look at the relay, there should be a small gauge wire coming from that. Many relays have two. In those cases, one will be wired to the hot side of the ignition, and the other will go to the starter button. The starter button grounds that wire, completing the circuit and activating the relay. Others with one wire requires that power be supplied to that lead to activate. Those require two wires to the handlebar start button... one hot wire, and the wire leading back to the solenoid.

I think that your bike may have a two-wire starter relay.

Just for clarity:
When I refer to "starter relay" I am meaning the same thing that others are calling "solenoid." A starter solenoid is a relay that handles high current. Sometimes, especially on small displacement motorcycles, it is a simplified circuit where the relay and solenoid are the same component. Large displacement bikes often have a low power relay that activates the solenoid. The high current solenoid on some vehicles also has a mechanical function where the magnetic plunger helps to physically engage starter gears.

Just don't want you to be confused when some of us use a different term for the same component.

Let's rewind a bit - the starter button is (I think) integrated into the throttle housing for your CB450 - isn't it?

Any pics of your bike? What handlebar switches do you have, if any? Signals, horn, kill?

Thanks Alpha Dog, I am going to tinker with it tonight and let you guys know if I have any problems. And Tim, I only have h/l beam, turn signal, and on/off kill switch. No push button, or horn switch yet

First and foremost, you need to get yourself a wiring diagram specific to your bike. You'll find one in the back of your service manual, which is the most important tool that you'll buy. It seems that youre not sure what exactly you need. If you're going stock with the controls (best idea for a first build) search "cb cl 450 switch housing" on EBay. Im sure some will pop up. Also, look up a parts fische and compare part numbers with other Hondas. The housing is probobly the same as the one from other Honda models of the era, which will broaden your search critera and may net you a better deal, as 450 stuff tends to be a bit more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom