79 CB750 Limited Streetfighter/Cafe style buildup

I'd pull the stock gauges and got that way, but Honda decided to make the odometer an external affair on the DOHC CB750s, so I'd either have to run with no odometer or build a little housing for it. Third option would be to source out a set of SOHC gauges, but I can get some brand new 2.5" units from DCC for about $100, so I think I'll be going that route.

Thanks for the link to the shox, it's a bit out of my range though. Honestly, I'm happy with the ride, just want something that's not chrome out back. I may just pop the springs and get them powdercoated, then rough up the shock finish a bit to matte it out.

I have an 82 CB900 Supersport I'm in the process of modifying. I'm most likely going to buy new shocks so will end up putting mine up for sale.

ca978fe1.jpg

New gauges! I've got a fun job soldering up a new harness for them tonight. Debating whether I want to mount them straight to the mounting holes for the stock gauges, or fab up an aluminum bracket to bring them closer together. We'll see how they look tonight.

Installed:

aa80d839.jpg

ea61fd9a.jpg

Not too cockeyed, and all the idiot lights work with the exception of the blinkers. You need two separate blinker indicators with the DOHC bikes, at least with the Limited, otherwise both lights will blink at once. So, no blinker indicator. I'm okay with that. I LOVE how sleek these look.

I'm really happy with how they turned out. I mounted them underneath the existing mounting bosses for a lower profile, which I think was the way to go. Long bolts with double nuts keeps them secure, but we'll see if I need to loctite them or anything.

Only issue is that now I can see how beat up and dingy the handlebar clamp/fuse box is. Time to pull it and give it a respray!

Nope, that's the seat how I reshaped it and had it covered. Wanted to keep it capable for two up riding.

i LOVE this build. Especially the seat. You fab'd it yourself? its the exact kind of seat i'm looking to get. I like how its stepped but not too bulky. also the upholstery is perfect, imo. Long story short, i want that seat ;) any more details or photos of you working on it?

Here's the progression from stock foam to how it sits now:

DSC_2929.jpg

Stock

DSC_2930.jpg

DSC_2931.jpg

1st round of cutting with an electric bread knife

DSC_2934.jpg

How it sat on the bike

DSC_2986.jpg

After some rough sanding with an angle grinder

DSC_2998.jpg

DSC_3002.jpg

Pretty much final shaping

DSC_3235.jpg

With new cover

>with electric bread knife

I laughed too much at that line. Thanks for the pics! again the upholstery work is awesome! simple and elegant.

Well, the vinyl cover was made by a local guy out here, www.lonepeakupholstery.com. He did an amazing job at a fair price and with an impressively quick turnaround time. Guy had it back to me in like 24 hours. He did a great job hiding my little foam flaws with the gorgeous and simple cover he made.

For the rough shaping and mass material removal, it actually worked really well. The angle grinder got the curves done right, but the general shape was easy to do with the bread knife. Cheap too, like $8 on sale at walmart.

Glad I found your build over here Booligan. She sure is a looker!
I am really liking the look of the mini gauges. The white face really ties it together well on yours.
Good choice.

Booligan said:
For the rough shaping and mass material removal, it actually worked really well. The angle grinder got the curves done right, but the general shape was easy to do with the bread knife. Cheap too, like $8 on sale at walmart.

Bread knife has always been the cutting tool of choice for seat foam. Nice job on that foam

teazer said:
Bread knife has always been the cutting tool of choice for seat foam. Nice job on that foam

Yeah, I watched a few youtube videos on seat shaping and almost all of them mentioned the good old electric bread knife. I figured there was something to it, lol. It worked great and made quick work of the foam in the rough stages. Working with the angle grinder was much trickier, as I kept ending up taking too much off, affecting the desired shape a bit, but I think it worked out well in the end. The upholsterer who made the cover lined it with a thin layer of foam to hide my goof ups and foam gouges, which was a great idea on his part.

Back
Top Bottom