750 Hondamatic...Is it Worth it?

Chucklhead05

Hey y'all. I have been a lurker here for a while and I have been looking for a project to restore with my Dad. He is starting to lose his memory, but is great with using his hands, so I figured this would be something we could do together. I found a 1977 Hondamatic 750 on craigslist for $150. I asked the owner is the motor turns, being that it has not been started in 20 years. My question, if the motor is seized, is it worth my time and money trying to get it to ruin. I figured that is the motor turns, me and my dad can get it going from there, i.e. rust removal, wasp/mice removal, paint, etc.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2994151027.html

I appreciate any and all comments. I've been following a number of your builds and have to say I am blown away at all of your ingenuity and skills.

One of the biggest problems I have seen are the Carb Insulator boots.
They usually split and are in bad shape and are no longer available.
I know I have been looking to have some made for a local shop that has a 1978 CB750A.
After looking at the picture it's been outside I would say STAY AWAY even for $150.00.
The automatics have way too many parts that are specific to them that they are very hard to find.

16211-393-020
16212-393-020
16213-393-010
16214-393-010

cklamer said:
After looking at the picture it's been outside I would say STAY AWAY even for $150.00.

Yup. Might be fun to take apart, but you'll end up replacing 75% of the bike before it was ever road ready again.

Swivel, cklamer, Von Yinzer, and cafe redneck - Thanks for the advice. I was seriously thinking of buying this, but after your comments and advice, I'm letting it pass by. If it was in better shape, and been started more recently than 30 years ago, I'd pick it up. I enjoy reading your build posts and have learned a lot before I even start.

And Von, the lady with the pistol scares and excites me at the same time :D

Well, just received an email stating that the engine was seized. It will stay there ad gather weeds around it as far as I am concerned. I'll keep an eye out for another scoot to work on. Thanks again for the timely advice (before I started throwing money at it like I was Congress!).

Great bike.
I want on to do some drag racing.
the auto is perfect for that.
kinda rare and even more so with the alloy rims
its worth more then 150 in parts on ebay if nothing else

OK, the search for the bike continues, but a friend dropped this in my lap to restore. Not the type of metal I thought I would be working on, but hey, it's a restoration!

Attachments

• Beuscher pic.jpg
    Beuscher pic.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 2,125
Good Luck!

Try to fing bikes that they made a lot of and parts are interchangeable. You will pay a little for one that runs but they are out there. I bout my 1981 CB750K from my local shop. I didn't even know they had it until they pulled it out to get it ready for sale. I saw it back in the shop asked how much and after a little back and forth bought it for $1300.00 cash and it runs. There are a lot of good bikes but it seems like everyone makes parts for the mid 70's CB750 and the CB350 plus the Yamaha XS650.

But I am doing a major overhaul and having the engine built (890cc Big Bore Kit) by a race engine builder and when he is done I will have 90% of the parts already to be put on. I will still have to take it apart modify and reinforce the frame and powder coat it and then reroute the wiring and eventually a Cafe Racer.

Back
Top Bottom