'74 CB360 cafe project - (New clutch springs and back to analog gauges.)

'74 CB360 cafe project (de-funking stage)

Got the left side of the motor done today. Far cry fom where I started.

Before
IMAG0397.jpg

After
IMAG0453.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: '74 CB360 cafe project (de-funking stage)

nice polishing work man i know how time consuming that stuff can be but i admire that alot of guys just paint those covers. I painted my engine case black but am already regretting it black shows every knick. I will prob strip it down and repaint it at some point. engine is looking stellar though look forward to see what you come up with here.

Luckily I have a monster 14" pedestal buffer to cut some of the work down. I just wet sanded the covers with 400 then 600 grits and went straight to the buffer through 3 grades of compound. I'll likely get the engine wrapped up this week and then get onto the frame and seat next.

axeugene27 said:
nice polishing work man i know how time consuming that stuff can be but i admire that alot of guys just paint those covers. I painted my engine case black but am already regretting it black shows every knick. I will prob strip it down and repaint it at some point. engine is looking stellar though look forward to see what you come up with here.

Nice bike,

I’m on fence polished or powder coated engine covers.

Polished is preferred, a lot of work that comes with polishing is not.

CB360TON said:
I’m on fence polished or powder coated engine covers.

Polished is preferred, a lot of work that comes with polishing is not.

The covers on the left side weren't so bad to do. The right side is a huge pain in the butt, mine had a lot of pitting and a few scars. I had to work with files, a dremel and start sanding with 120 grit and work up from there... I worked a few hours yesterday on it. I'm gonna finish it with 600 grit and a buff tonight. I want to be sure that when people see my bike that they "know" I put the needed work in the right places... and didn't skimp on money or labor. (Though I'm being careful not to just throw money at it. Even if it feels like it.

3DogNate said:
The covers on the left side weren't so bad to do. The right side is a huge pain in the butt, mine had a lot of pitting and a few scars. I had to work with files, a dremel and start sanding with 120 grit and work up from there... I worked a few hours yesterday on it. I'm gonna finish it with 600 grit and a buff tonight. I want to be sure that when people see my bike that they "know" I put the needed work in the right places... and didn't skimp on money or labor. (Though I'm being careful not to just throw money at it. Even if it feels like it.

Exactly the problem I had. I ended up with paint after spending hours trying to get them smooth enough to even consider polish. I'm still pleased with the way they came out, too.

you have a bench grinder? it really wasn't too bad at all polishing my covers the left covers look great on your bike man is the right cover that bad>

Sonreir said:
Exactly the problem I had. I ended up with paint after spending hours trying to get them smooth enough to even consider polish. I'm still pleased with the way they came out, too.
Nothing wrong with paint as long as it's done well. Your engine looks GREAT...

axeugene27 said:
you have a bench grinder? it really wasn't too bad at all polishing my covers the left covers look great on your bike man is the right cover that bad?

I actually do not have a bench grinder... Not really a fan of them. I use a belt/disc sander as a grinder and have a big dedicated 14" pedestal buffer for polishing. I keep saying that I need to pickup a bench grinder and just install wire wheels though...
I would have had the left side done in an hour if it were'nt for the pitting. My bike wasn't the best maintained bike before I got it... The pitting wasn't that noticeable until I started polishing... then the pitted parts just looked like dark spots... So then I had to get after that. Plus there are a lot of ithght curves (which is exactly where most of the pitting was located.) I am polishing the right side cover form my spare engine. The one that is on the good engine might be in better condition but I did not remove it yet... as I figured I'd just remove the old and replace it with the polished one in a single sitting.

I think if you got a bench grinder and polished with it you would quickly become a fan of them. ;D

A 14" polisher probably has a 2hp+ motor, much better than a bench grinder
carbs are on the way, I sent tracking number

axeugene27 said:
I think if you got a bench grinder and polished with it you would quickly become a fan of them. ;D
Oh, I've had several over the years and they don't get much use at my shop... I end up giving them away to friends. I don't have one out of preference.

crazypj said:
A 14" polisher probably has a 2hp+ motor, much better than a bench grinder
carbs are on the way, I sent tracking number

3/4 hp 3400 rpm Baldor motor with 2.5:1 reduction for 1350rpm / 1.8hp at the wheel.

I'll take a picture... 8)

i just see you making the tim the tool man grunting noise with that comment

Uuungh...

My buffer...
IMAG0454.jpg

The right side case is buffed now.
IMAG0456.jpg

That's scary looking, you could loose an arm if something got caught

crazypj said:
That's scary looking, you could loose an arm if something got caught

Nah, it's quite smooth operating.. .just don't present an edge to it.

axeugene27 said:
bow down that thing is wicked,

I build custom guitars for a hobby... The buffer is for buffing out guitar finishes... It just happens to be awesome for metal too.

Piston rings came today.

Installed and starting to get back together.

IMAG0457.jpg

IMAG0458.jpg

My valve spring compressor came today. I'm gonna remove the valves and get that casting cleaned up and ready for paint after grilling some bacon cheddar burgers.

Check springs before you take them out, they have a top and bottom

everything is lookin super so far. did you use a drop of sealant or anything on those stainless bolt threads...stainless is the worst about galling w aluminum.
lets see some pics of the homemade soda blaster.

Re: Re: '74 CB360 cafe project (de-funking stage)

crazypj said:
Check springs before you take them out, they have a top and bottom

Yes, I made sure that I kept them oriented

trek97 said:
everything is lookin super so far. did you use a drop of sealant or anything on those stainless bolt threads...stainless is the worst about galling w aluminum.
lets see some pics of the homemade soda blaster.

A bit of blue thread locker on the threads. The soda blaster is just an airgun and bit of hose... Nothing worth showing. I'm sure I'll slip a shot in eventually.

Back
Top Bottom