'71 CB450 hardtail- My first metric build

SloKrt said:
Coming along nicely! Any updates?

I like the plate you added to the connection of the hardtail and downtube. I was actuall thinking of doing something similar on mone... Now that I see how it looks finished, I think I'll add that to mine.

Hi Slo,

Yeah I figured it couldnt hurt to add the plate. Two reasons I did it was I wanted a nice finished look for my seat mount. This way I have plenty of room to move the seat mount forward or back to better fit the look I am gong for. Plus I just wanted to gusset the 2 junctions. I figured there is not chance fro there to be a weak spot on the neck.

No real progress as of my last update. I have all the seat parts and mounting hardware. I am going to make my own air ride system so I am just trying to come up with all the parts.

Thanks for the kind words... I hope your build is going great

This build is looking awesome already! Loving the seat and tank as they are.

HEy all,

Sorry it has been so long since I updated this thread. I have been so busy with life the hard tail took a back seat for a while. I finally got to get back to her this week. I finished up all the gussets and frame welding. I finished putting the final touches on the motor and polished a few more items. I was able to mount the rear tire and the motor in the frame. I was pumped as all of the original motor mounts lined up perfectly. I guess my jog worked :)

I ditched the ex 250 front end for now. I will just clean up some stock 450 forks and mount those as I would like to get this thing on the road. I may be able to revisit it at a later date. My main goal is to get her breathing fire again.

I am now mocking up the forward controls and trying to decide what to work on next. I have a few questions if you don't mind?

1) Chain- should I buy a new chain or use the old one? The old one looks ok? I stretched the reared 3" so I need a longer chain, do I just add links or does someone have a place where I should get a chain made for it? let me know your thoughts?

2) Simple wiring harness- My old harness is a hot mess and I don't need all the garbage on there. Does anyone know of a place to have one made or a link to some info where I can make one myself? I just want headlights, LED blinkers, and stop lights. If anyone on here makes them I would gladly pay them for it?

3) Battery for the starter and the headlights- I would like a smallest battery possible, what do you recommend? I will mainly be kick starting it but you would like to be able to use the starter for those difficult days, what do you recommend? I would like to be able to hide it if possible.

4) rectifier- Should I use the old rectifier or do they make a smaller one and if so what one do you recommend?

5) Coil- Should i use the old one?

She is so close to being done its very exciting. It has taken me a long time to make it happen but its a great feeling to see the finish line

Once I get her running and all the kinks worked out I will strip it back down and have it either painted or coated.

here are some updated pics from this weekends work

D2E45071-3A06-4AAA-98B2-AFFDFB55FFD6-1809-0000011E1C4230B8_zps66db9939.jpg

910EE52E-F658-4B55-9285-41BC51C4CDB4-1809-0000011E152350D1_zpsec47be2f.jpg

I was able to get some more done this weekend.

- I got the rear tire aligned with the front drive sprocket and installed a new chain. I decided to ditch the old one. These chains are not expensive so I went with a new and cut it to fit. I did have some new spacers for the rear wheel sprocket to line up with front. She rolls smooth with no binding. I will be making a skate wheel tensioner for it as it pretty long

-Installed the the forward controls and installed all of the brake and shifting linkage. I also had to fire up the lathe for the forward control mounts. It was a lot of work but they turned out great and the geometry is spot on for the linkage.

Whats next?? Well I decided to go with updated rectifier and I will have a harness made for it. Once I get the new harness I will be hooking the motor up to see if she will fire. I made a huge mistake in not seeing if the motor ran before I did all this. So lets hope the guy I bough it from was telling the truth about it running before it sat/.. How many times have we all heard that??

The forks should be showing up by the end of the week. I am not sure if I am going to do clip ons or club man bars?

I am really starting to see it take shape. I am hoping to have it running in 2 weeks. I would have it soon but I have to wait on all the parts :(

here are some updated pics from last night

B4580112-32C1-4BE5-9857-88204DCB36C6-411-0000003A04FEB851_zps07b205b0.jpg

A793D5A8-11FD-46F9-A926-BFECC12255E3-411-00000039ED3DED11_zps5e7754c0.jpg

canyoncarver said:
Cool build you have going here. See Sonreir here for your wiring harness.

Thank you! Its taken a while but she is finally on the home stretch.

I am speaking to him now and will have him do me one up. I was going to try to do it myself but I just don't have the time, I want to get her going

I have made a lot more progress this weekend. She is no a true roller!!! I have more work to do but I am slowly chipping away at it.

All the new tapered bearings are in. they went in pretty easily. I put the bearings and the stem in the freezer and heated the neck up with a torch. ... defiantly easier than I thought.

I had to make a spacer for the front wheel as I am unsure where the original went? Its nice to have a lathe. I cut the kickstand that came with the bike down to size and made a sleeve and welded it all back together. It works like a charm.

I had to bring the forks through the triples to get it to sit level. I added some clip ons to give it a nice low look.

Next is to get some power to this baby! I am waiting on my slimmed down wiring harness and I still need to order a battery.

Once I get her on the road and make sure the bike tracks true and is good. I will strip it back down for powered coating and painting.

It was great to get it out of the garage and in the sun. I really like the lines and stance of the bike.

56A6FDF6-3509-412E-95DF-C12B5C4EFE45-141-00000001E677CC4D_zps7f2a6bd5.jpg

43220E9B-9C31-480F-8AF2-962DF2C91FA2-141-000000021135F74C_zps2d8cbcf1.jpg

Not bad at all. Voice of experience, raise the front end back up. Trust me. And you may want to sandwich in a set of coil springs to supplement the hair pins. I weigh 235 and have broken a few sets of hairpin springs over the years. All of your bike's weight is now going to transfer to the front end when you slow down, CB450 springs are kind of soft, don't be surprised if the frame scrapes a few times before you find a good ride height.

Which sloper engined bike gave up its fuel tank? I really like that, but then again, I have a sloper engined 250 I'm playing around at putting back together.

If you haven't ridden one, rigids have a VERY steep learning curve. If you feel the back end break loose, relax and ride it out. If you stiffen up, you'll get bucked off. Once you learn the new handling dynamics, you won't want a sprung frame until you are old and gray or so crippled up you can barely walk.

looking good, love that tank. your polishing turned out amazing, makes me want to give it a go on my engine covers.

Back
Top Bottom