81 CM400T brat build

yes the shocks are from dime city, headlight bracket was easy to make, all said and done probably a little over an hour to do it, i made a mistake the the proportions tho, it overhangs the mounting bolts more than it needs to on top and bottom and doesnt even go past the washer on the sides, version 2.0 will be much better, i like making parts instead of buying them, you get exactly what you want that way

been pretty busy lately, since last post i had a chance to narrow the factory sportster tank i picked up, since the cm400 has such a large backbone i had a tunnel made up by a local sheetmetal shop, i also ordered some stepped bungs so i could bottom mount the tank. and after i mounted the tank i decided the bars were too high, so i shortened them by 4". and once it started to look like a more complete bike i decided the rear fender was too narrow so i test fit a xs650 front fender to the rear, the width is perfect, just have to clean up the edges and grind off the mounts i made for the other fender and make some new ones. i also cleaned up the welds on the bars so the clutch lever sits nice and close, bar is 1 1/8 and grip is 1 1/4, should look pretty cool when all done, also made a sleeve to go between master cylinder and throttle. im not crazy about big bulky mufflers so i made some baffles to, the pipe is 3" long and will be welded in as one of the sections when i make the exhaust.

This is looking good can't wait to see the finished product. I've been thinking about doing something like your shock mounts on my cb450 sc , but I'm a little hesitant since i've never really done any welding before.

Thanks guys, this bike is the first welding I have ever done, I just tack it up and have my professional welder friend finish them off. Most of the time/labor you pay for is planning/layout/fabing parts, that rear shock mod cost me about $20 in material and about the same for beer for my buddy for welding. Shop would have been all that plus 3-4 hrs. It's worth buying a welder for tacking if you are gonna do alot of this stuff. I have a few small things left to take care of on the bike, hopefully have it all torn down by next week, then sandblasting frame, have my buddy do the body finishing, and a little bit of engine work. Of course I make it sound like less than it really is. Hopefully on the road by July, fingers crossed.

finished up the last few things yesterday, so i tore it apart today. key switch was a pain in the ass but looks pretty trick. got the xs650 front fender mounted. sending frame, oil and fuel tanks, swingarm and bars out for final welding, then out to body guy. also got my new biltwell gringo in the mail.

Awesome build! Lots of good ideas!
Are you planning on keeping the air assisted forks? I have the same and wondered if it was possible to put normal caps strait on them?

I am planning on keeping them. I have new seals and boots for them, and I am going to replace the shitty looking rubber cross over tube with 2 compression fittings and a piece f stainless tube.

recent progress: tanks, bars and other misc stuff welded. wheels polished and centers painted black. frame, bars and crowns rattlecanned black. all new bearings and brakes. body parts sanded down with sanding disc on grinder, then wiped down with wd40. wiring fished thru bars and bar controls all installed. re-assembled as a roller on the weekend at my cabin (where i made a "paint booth").

5.00-16, its a shinko 270, google search will probably get some other info or exact specs.

i sent my tank out the other day to the welder, it had two pin holes in it that needed to be welded before i could seal it up. i ordered cam chain, gasket set, oil pump chain about a week ago, just need some tensioners and im ready to tear the motor down, repaint and put back together. body work on tank and fender should be within the next 2-3 weeks, hopefully on the road by the end of april. pics to follow once its done

Back
Top Bottom