www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750  (Read 77149 times)

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
Re: "Not so Mellow Yellow" - KZ750 - "Tangerine Dream"
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2013, 12:25:23 »
Few more nuts and bolts off today in readiness for a complete teardown. Took the carbs off and they look like new inside ! The PO did say they were rebuilt, but looking at the bike in general, I wasn't so sure.

Anyway, just happened to move one of my Weber 40 DCOEs and thought - "I wonder if".............

yes, that would work.

"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:20:01 »
It was actually a "Vindicator" day today, but while I was stripping the Tr1 down [ now completed ] I couldn't resist pulling some more parts off the Tracker. Everything is now ready to be unbolted - all fixings have been WD40 'd and loosened off. Surprisingly given the overall look of the bike [ ie a wreck ! ] everything came apart real easy apart from one castleated nut on the rear brake torque arm. That will have to be ground off, but otherwise - it's ready for stripdown.

I want to get all the relevant parts for the 4 projects [ !! ] boxed up for refinishing - passivating, powder coating polishing, etc. I've found I get a much better deal that way. Especially the Gold passivating as he has a minimum charge.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2013, 13:28:52 »
Any of my US or Canadian cousins have a KZ750 head off and accessible ?

I could do with a template of the intakes [ one piece ] I want to get a flange laser cut to take the Weber 40 DCOE pipes and flanges.

Are the intakes on a flat plane ?

Many thanx in advance.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #43 on: Feb 28, 2013, 17:37:01 »
I'll answer my own question re: the flanges now I've got all the squitter out of the way !

I can see that they are NOT on a flat plane which means I'll have to get 2 stubs made up from the inlets converging slightly to a single plate for the Weber to bolt to. Old Alfa Twin Cams had some nifty rubber gasket / anti-vibration mounts which I could probably use.

I've seen this set up [ Weber ] used previously on old Brit twins with some success and even if it's no better as a carb - at least it looks different ! Bizarrely buying and setting up a good secondhand Weber is probably cheaper than refurbishing tired OEM carbs.

Tuning is dead easy too as you simply treat each choke as a seperate carb.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2013, 05:45:16 »
I loosened the rocker box off ready to remove the engine next weekend [ extra hands available ] and had a peek inside. All shiny and pristine with a new cam chain.

Maybe the PO wasn't telling porkies when he said the PO to him had rebuilt the engine. Either way - bonus if I don't have to pull the engine down [ time and money ].

Anyway, what IS that with having to take the r/box off ???? A small adjustment of the frame at design stage could have eliminated that ! It can only be a matter of 1/2" or so interference anyway.

I might try a steam clean on the assembled motor to see if that removes most of the loose paint . corrosion. There's a commercial [ lorry ] breakers near my home that has a really vicious steam cleaner that we used for VW beetle back ends when I was making Porsche Speedster replicas.

I'll be spraying the motor with my pal's wrinkle finish paint [ fine wrinkle like the H-D finish ] with polished covers [ maybe ].

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2013, 18:38:58 »
Tubing arrived today for the rear hoop and to replace the rusted cross piece. The rest of the frame is good and solid - just that one place has suffered.

My 5' flourescent light fittings [ x 2 ] will also be here in the next few days and I have all the electrical components to make up the feeder board in my garage. Light and power ...jeeeez. ::)

I've decided to say "fuck you" to all my so called pals who threatened to carry out some welding for me and break out my old arc set and buy a new welding helmet - omigawd. I am quite capable of dressing and tacking metal in place - then I'll get a qualified welder in to do the deed.

After the doom and gloom of last year I feel absolutely positive about things at the moment. 8)

Offline notlob

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Made in England
    • CB750 Brat Bobber Build Thread
« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2013, 19:55:39 »
Good to see the moodometer swinging to the positive. Keep up forward momentum and you'll have 3 bikes in the same BOTM vote.
“Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look.” >> Steve McQueen

Look at it! God, your project is ... it's everywhere. Your garage looks like you've been committing war crimes against a robot.

Build Threads
1980 Cb750: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0
1982 CB900: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46733.0

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:23:29 »
Thanx Notlob .. certainly getting my finger out now !

Just removed what was left of the KZ wiring .......................... I think a rewire is called for !!

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
"Tangerine Dream" KZ750 - Tracker
« Reply #48 on: Mar 11, 2013, 19:20:15 »
Firstly - bike will NOT be Yellow - glad I got that out of my system. That'll probably find it's way onto to my recently re-inherited GS450 Tracker !

I am definitely going with the Weber [ or Solex / Dellorto equivalent ].

I ordered a laser cut 40 DCOE carb. flange today, so just need some tube and the head intake flanges cut.

One side benefit of Webers is that they make a superb induction noise when unfiltered ! Mine will have the inlet trumpets shown.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #49 on: Mar 13, 2013, 18:03:43 »
keeping the mood of positivity .. the Weber flange arrived today.

Just need to score some tube and then get the head flanges cut and we're a step closer.

we've had snow here forthe past 4 days on and off - and definitely not encouraging to go up to a cold powerless garage.

On the plus side, the fuse box and other electrical bits arrived in the past few days, so I can get the power board made up for the garage. Then it's hang the new flourescent light fittings and connect everything up .......  jeez I won't ever want to come out then !