www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1983 XV500 Cafe Racer  (Read 45052 times)

Offline Karlloss

Re: 1983 XV500 Cafe Racer
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2013, 14:09:57 »
Yep I can see why not many of these, if any, have been coverted, the 500 was an odd-ball model when it was new, if only I knew when I bought it what I know now!  On the positive it'll certainly be unique in the UK and rare anywhere in the world. As I've bought the USD forks I'm going to stick with them, here comes a new frame  :-\

Offline rundown

« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2013, 14:24:58 »
This is a huge bite, I think we are in for an interesting chew.

Wouldn't the original forks,which look ridiculously long, be close to correct with about 2" sticking out of the top triple clamp?  Assuming of course, the the additional load of tank, seat rider, etc

Offline Karlloss

« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2013, 14:51:44 »
The original forks are not great, too long, too skinny and just not my cup of tea. I'm not keen on having the forks protruding above the top clamp too much, I've seen this on a few cafe racer and street trackers and I just think it looks bodged, I appreciate thats my opinion and some have used that method to great affect.  A new frame it is, build in my domestic garage, the only tricky bits are going to be the tube notching, everything else is just basic angles and measurments, who needs a jig! :D

Offline cbSteve

« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2013, 16:02:28 »
Since you really want to make a frame for you bike, I was thinking you could make it out of laser/water jet cut sheet metal. The original was made of sheet and if you are any good with cad you could make it self jigging and have the ability to hold it all together while it is being welded. Just a thought  :)

Offline cbSteve

« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2013, 17:03:49 »
There are a number of laser/water jet cutting services on the web and free downloadable cad programs. It is a steep leaning curve but, it could be a cool thing if you where so inclined.

The frame in tubing will defiantly be quite a challenge and there are no computers involved. The fact that there a no computers involved cuts about 300% off you time in labor. It is funny how computers are suppose to help you but more often get in the way.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013, 08:44:20 by cbSteve »

Offline Karlloss

« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2013, 05:34:19 »
It's been a bit slow lately, with the snow here and getting married I haven't had much time for building. Ordered my notching tool today, absolute bargain £65 off ebay from Frost Auto Restoration with free postage, £10 cheaper than the normal price they sell it for!  And it cuts up to 60 degrees!

Also sent my specs over to the steel provider to cost up the tubing before I decide on what size tube to go for, and found out he has a tube bender....absolute result!!  :D

Offline cbSteve

« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:27:05 »
Hey Karlloss,
 Congratulations on getting married and good luck on the build.  Because of you I have been looking at v-twin Yamaha's in the area and wondering what if. I have two bikes now and the Mrs. would not stand for a third. Maybe someday (fingers crossed).

Offline notlob

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Made in England
    • CB750 Brat Bobber Build Thread
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:16:42 »
Congrats on the marriage Karloss.

I have something for you to consider that I've been looking into. I been trying to keep quite about it as I may do an XV project but I cant keep a secret .
How about modifying one of these frames.

May be easier than a new build and you will have a Vin  and number on the headstock so less hassle.
Its a triumph Daytona 900 frame could use any of the triple frames from that era.
You may only be able to use the headstock and backbone but thats what you were replacing anyhow.
“Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look.” >> Steve McQueen

Look at it! God, your project is ... it's everywhere. Your garage looks like you've been committing war crimes against a robot.

Build Threads
1980 Cb750: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0
1982 CB900: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46733.0

Offline Karlloss

« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:20:22 »
Hey Karlloss,
 Congratulations on getting married and good luck on the build.  Because of you I have been looking at v-twin Yamaha's in the area and wondering what if. I have two bikes now and the Mrs. would not stand for a third. Maybe someday (fingers crossed).

Thank you for congratulations.   I bought the XV with out the Mrs knowing, caused a few issues, not least having to spend some money a present for her!!

Offline Karlloss

« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:24:55 »
Congrats on the marriage Karloss.

I have something for you to consider that I've been looking into. I been trying to keep quite about it as I may do an XV project but I cant keep a secret .
How about modifying one of these frames.

May be easier than a new build and you will have a Vin  and number on the headstock so less hassle.
Its a triumph Daytona 900 frame could use any of the triple frames from that era.
You may only be able to use the headstock and backbone but thats what you were replacing anyhow.

Thank you for your congratulations  :)

Interesting and not too far from another frame I have seen which is giving me ideas, I saw a Honda CX frame, which has virtually the same look as the Daytona frame.  I'm still completely undecided on which way to go, I'm waiting for the steel guy I know (is also a TIG welder and has a tube bender!)  to come back with some prices on different tube sizes, which may well force my decision  :-\