www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1977 Yamaha XS750D  (Read 23620 times)

Offline clay69camaro

1977 Yamaha XS750D
« on: Feb 06, 2013, 19:55:48 »
Well I found the site a bit late. Picked my bike up this summer, June I think, and have it mostly finished now. I've been riding it the past month as my only transportation since my car decided to blow both head gaskets :( The bike is mostly powdercoated minus the seat, tank, headlight bucket, and front fender. They are just spray painted flat olive drab green. When I get the car back up and running I'll give the bike a real paint job to go along with the quality powdercoating it already has.

I'll post pictures in a bit, but there aren't any tear down photos. Just the build

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 1977 Yamaha XS750D
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013, 20:16:00 »
Welcome to DTT. Looking forward to seeing a few photos.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline clay69camaro

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:13:59 »
Pics as promised.

This is my first build so it's a bit of a learning curve. For instance I wish I had fabricated a recessed tray for the electronics instead of a flat plate, and some higher mounts for the rear sets. But the frame was already powder coated when I thought of this stuff.

I didn't want to pull the diff apart and replace it's seals so I just had it sandblasted then painted regularly

Beat up tank, I scored one in much better condition from ebay for only $75

Offline clay69camaro

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:01:33 »
More photos

Dan Moto 180 gauge

Cheapy Ebay shocks, will be up for sale and will be replaced by progressive shocks.

Fender showed up yesterday so I chopped it, maybe a little too short but it is what it is.

Triumph Daytona header I welded onto the stock flanges.

Current set-up of the controls.

Offline PeteyWash

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2013, 13:03:37 »
Man,
I really like this bike..... You knocked it out of the park.  Very clean, yet still has attitude.  The green works well.

Offline jdseibe

• Get to the Choppa!?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2013, 13:15:26 »
looks really good! I love seeing other Triple projects! mine is not nearly as complete as yours! I kinda slapped mine together on a low budget, and am going to slowly start powder coating things as I go. I have a 77 also and love seeing other D/2D's

if you don't mind me asking a couple questions...

Where did you relocate your Ignition switch to?
What rear sets did you mount on it? and can you take a few more up close pics?
Did you keep the stock 77 engine?

thanks!

Offline clay69camaro

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2013, 16:24:07 »
looks really good! I love seeing other Triple projects! mine is not nearly as complete as yours! I kinda slapped mine together on a low budget, and am going to slowly start powder coating things as I go. I have a 77 also and love seeing other D/2D's

if you don't mind me asking a couple questions...

Where did you relocate your Ignition switch to?
What rear sets did you mount on it? and can you take a few more up close pics?
Did you keep the stock 77 engine?

thanks!

The ignition switch is mounted to the metal plate under the seat. Still have to finish wrapping the wires and tucking them.

The rear-sets are from DCC http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-chassis-transmission-shifter-parts-dcc-originals-fully-indexable-aluminum-rearsets-rear-sets-dcc-rs10.html

I didn't touch the engine, it was a runner so I left it alone. I plan on a few upgrades in the future but as of now it's just pods and exhaust. Jetting it this weekend and installing a megs reverse cone muffler.

Offline jdseibe

• Get to the Choppa!?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2013, 17:57:25 »
it looks awesome! I think I am going to do something similar for rear sets.

I think we both used the same header wrap too haha..

off hand do you remember what size/type/length shocks our bikes run? I would like to pick up similar style to what you are running

here is my bike.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39690.30#msg452377

Offline clay69camaro

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2013, 18:40:39 »
Off the top of my head it's something like 320mm length with 12 or 14mm eyelets. These shocks have worked for me pretty well, but my rear tire is rubbing on my rear hoop on big bumps so I'm going to go with longer progressive shocks 14"- 14.25" range. But first I'm going to throw the stock shocks back on to have a comparison, I never rode with the stockers.

Offline mikewerx

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2013, 18:47:53 »
Looking real smooth.  Kudos
'73 CB350F Tracker - in progress
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45358.msg497390#msg497390
'77 XS750/850 - in progress
'79 Harley Ironhead - in progress