Love the hump.

Bikes are good therapy, wheather you're rideing or working on them. Kept me from going off the deep end more than once. Glad you're back!

Well finally made enough room to work on the bike in my garage. It's not perfect, but I'm not beholden to any ones schedule, and it's indoors! I went from on little incandescent light over the workbenchand one power outlet, to florescent shoplights and a couple extra outlets to boot.
Also refinished the bench, and am going to build a rolling stand for my toolboxes so I can free up some bench space for a small drill press and vice. Will try and post pictures soon of my new shop space soon. And after x-mas some long overdue progress on the cb...

Okay, after moving back in with the wife, cleaning out the garage and, hanging new additional lights/ outlets. I finally started to do something on the pile. I'm gonna start by making a bigger pile, then hopefully reassemble it into something worth a shit.
Nice thing about this time is, I have my own little (very little) work space. BTW I just took these pictures today, NOT in 2011.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    972.7 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    928.9 KB · Views: 285
Finally taking some vacation time, going to get something done on this thing. Had all Sorts of plans to hard tail it, then thought about putting a larger rear wheel on it and going the café route. The problem with either of these options is to go the hardtail route would mean a lot of added expense, not that it couldn't get done. It would be a matter of when, I went through last season with no bike. I don't want to do it again. This is my only bike.
Then the larger rear wheel café thing. When I put this thing together last time I put new wheel bearings and tires on it. I'm a cheap bastard. I would like to get some wear on the tires before I go changing a bunch of stuff.
So I'm going to clean it all up, paint the frame clean the whole thing up and build a daily rider.
Something hopefully reliable, that stands out.
Prepping the frame for paint, will post more soon. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 102_1426.JPG
    102_1426.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 102_1427.JPG
    102_1427.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 290
Frame painted.
Motor work next, need to put 3 heli-coils in the head.
And possibly 1 in the case. (shit) Not sure about the one in the case. When I torque on the bolt in question it will torque to 12 lbs. then act like its trying to pop the threads, then I stopped. Thinking about pulling the jugs off and heli-coiling the offending bolt just to be sure.
Don't want to get this thing back together and start blowing head gaskets. :eek: Have to pull the head anyway for the heli-coils.
Wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a challenge I guess.

Attachments

• 102_1428.JPG
    102_1428.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 295
rays650cafe said:
Thinking about pulling the jugs off and heli-coiling the offending bolt just to be sure.
Don't want to get this thing back together and start blowing head gaskets. :eek: Have to pull the head anyway for the heli-coils.

Smart move

Pulled out the offending bolt(after losening the rest), and found a little bit of grit I missed when I was cleaning everything. Tried tourquing it down, and whoo hoo! Went together as it should. Heli-coiled the offending holes with the head on, using grease to catch the metal shavings. Should be good to go.
And the local sears had a roll away and top box on sale for 80 bucks! Good fucking day!

Attachments

• 102_1430.JPG
    102_1430.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 286
Before I repaint the motor, I am gonna put new clutch springs/discs in. Opened the box for the plates (EBC) found 6 plates. Counted 7 stock plates in my clutch. I'm new to building bikes, do I need to find another clutch disc? Or is there something that I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.
Update: Ordered clutch plates, not friction discs. ordering friction discs now. ::)

Attachments

• 102_1429.JPG
    102_1429.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 282
Sweet motor fella all comin together nice 8) looks like 2014 gonna be your year mate ;) good luck with everything :D

Took a little time before work to start putting it back together. Not a lot done, but hopefully things start coming together a little quicker. BTW, thanks for the input on the clutch issue those that offered advice.

Attachments

• 102_1435.JPG
    102_1435.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 292
Shoul I go with clip ons or little M bars? I have both. Thinking the little m's would be more comfortable. I can save the clip ons for a more worthy cafe project. Any opinions?

I love the look of clip-ons 8) and the amount of adjustment ya can get :p but ya wrist n arms will let ya know :eek:

Probably don't come in different sizes, I may have read them described like that once and the name stuck. It's a non issue anyway, the air adjustment caps on top of the fork are in the way. So it's clip ons for now.
I would like to put earlier non air forks on it at sometime anyway. I can't stand the way the whole setup looks. Like an afterthought.
Going to post some pictures soon, nothing earth shattering, just progress. I'll leave earth shattering to jdzion and the rest of the artists. I just want to ride this thing. ;D

Progress, getting exited. Looking at going with a different color for the tank/sidecovers. going to have a new seat made. and mount a new tail light directly to the seat hoop.

Attachments

• 102_1436.JPG
    102_1436.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 283
  • 102_1437.JPG
    102_1437.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 285
Back
Top Bottom