74 cb750, First build.

Bigsam302 said:
Looks pretty cool. What are you planning for the shocks and electronics?
Got a new battery running it as small as possible, new fuses, New rectifier. Planning on having all this under the hump there should be plenty of room. Shock wise for now got cheaper ones with plans to upgrade later on.
154b45b3f89223adf29088befb45594a.jpg
97e35722de5843df6c0f844d39c85b55.jpg
2d5c4a9cb949cb828bac404e64cf4a68.jpg

crazypj said:
If you (or anyone else?) still need a front hub it turns out I have 2 x 19 inch x 40 hole fronts that came with CB350f. (which is same as CB350 twin and CB360 wheel, 18"x 36 hole?)
I can properly remove bearings and retainer ring if anyone is interested?
I have an extra set of wheels here already. But I am still trying to find plans on how to put the caliper behind the forks.

quadracer351 said:
I hve an extra set of wheels here already. But I am still trying to find plans on how to put the caliper behind the forks.

You just swap fork legs left to right.
Your fork lowers have all the necessary bits cast in so do dual disc while your at it (the CB550 is crap with single disc, 750 downright dangerous being 200lbs heavier)
You only need to get all the same parts as left side, caliper doesn't care which way round it bolts to swing link
It makes changing fork oil slightly more difficult as drain bolts are higher than lowest oil drain.
I tend to remove forks anyway when changing oil so never found it a problem
This is a CB360 but I did the same on 550's and 750's with twin discs (don't have any pictures of reversed 550/750 forks for some reason?)
CB360clip-on3.jpg

my550in1981.jpg

Had CB750 bits on 550 , stiffer springs and longer forks/shocks to give better ground clearance. I think this was after I put 591cc kit and cam, etc in it, 130mph fully loaded with GF ;D

Re: 74 cb750, First build.

crazypj said:
You just swap fork legs left to right.
Your fork lowers have all the necessary bits cast in so do dual disc while your at it (the CB550 is crap with single disc, 750 downright dangerous being 200lbs heavier)
You only need to get all the same parts as left side, caliper doesn't care which way round it bolts to swing link
It makes changing fork oil slightly more difficult as drain bolts are higher than lowest oil drain.
I tend to remove forks anyway when changing oil so never found it a problem
This is a CB360 but I did the same on 550's and 750's with twin discs (don't have any pictures of reversed 550/750 forks for some reason?)
CB360clip-on3.jpg

my550in1981.jpg

Had CB750 bits on 550 , stiffer springs and longer forks/shocks to give better ground clearance. I think this was after I put 591cc kit and cam, etc in it, 130mph fully loaded with GF ;D
Thanks crazy, I posted about this awhile ago and no one's solution was that simple lol, always complicating things in my head, are there any negatives aside from the fork oil drains? Putting unexpected stresses on the fork or brake components?

I had my '550' ( ;) ) pretty overloaded many times and run around at 'slightly' illegal speeds for around 70,000+ miles. In my opinion the brakes work slightly better as there is a slight 'servo' effect you don't get when they are 'dragging' (instead of 'pushing' when behind fork leg)
Whatever, I had brakes that were 100% reliable and didn't fade (major issue with single disc - burned centres out of pads a few times :eek: )
The only downside I found was pad wear came down to around 4~6,000 miles because I could brake much later and much harder (you may need better tyres, that was another 'downside' ;D 8) )
The 360 is the only bike I have that doesn't have dual disc's but, it's light enough not too need them (most of the time)
I'm a lot older and slower than I used to be
I am going to fit larger diameter rotors and different callipers to 360 sometime though ;)
I'm only getting about 4,000 miles or less (with EBC 'organic' ::) ) from 2 sets of pads on XS650 so I guess riding style hasn't changed too much (XS has large diameter discs instead of standard Yamaha smaller diameter duals)
Oh, almost forgot, you have to reverse mudguard bracket, just remove rivets and fit bolts. It's a good idea to fit 1/4" spring lock-washers inside the oversize holes where rubber mountings are, helps keep everything inline a LOT better (I tried making spacers but washers were simpler and worked better)
You may have to let air out of tyre to get it past the mounting bolts after fitting second caliper mount, I fitted wider rims and (slightly) oversize front tyre on 550
You may also have to remove the rear of callipers to get wheel in forks (I always did, just makes life easier to remove 4 bolts - you check pads and make sure bolts haven't seized ;D )

Are the gold pinstripes painted or vinyl? No pics of that step in the process. I need gold pin striping on mine that create a rectangle so I can't use a one piece stripe unless I have it custom cut with the rectangular end. I can do vinyl striping for about 1/10 the cost of paint pin striping.

DohcBikes said:
See all that fine line tape in the first picture?

It's paint.

Very well done.

The fine line tape is blue on a white base separating the red and white base colors. When did the gold get laid?

o1marc said:
The fine line tape is blue on a white base separating the red and white base colors. When did the gold get laid?
The gold was laid last I believe, it also wasn't pin stripped it was tapped then sprayed gold, I think it's actually a factory gold color that a car manufacture uses on some cars. I had it done at a shop in Brooklyn, I was going to pick them up today but the guy noticed a blemish in the clear and wants to fix it so I'll be getting it all back tomorrow. He took photos as he went for me I'll ask him about the gold, anything else you want me to find out while I'm there? I honestly know nothing about paint

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

quadracer351 said:
The gold was laid last I believe, it also wasn't pin stripped it was tapped then sprayed gold, I think it's actually a factory gold color that a car manufacture uses on some cars. I had it done at a shop in Brooklyn, I was going to pick them up today but the guy noticed a blemish in the clear and wants to fix it so I'll be getting it all back tomorrow. He took photos as he went for me I'll ask him about the gold, anything else you want me to find out while I'm there? I honestly know nothing about paint

No, you've probably answered the question. The array of photos was not in the correct time line so it was a bit confusing. The white tank with the 2 orange tape lines should have been first in line. However it was done, they are still pinstripes.

This is a sweet build, looking forward to see it come together. All the detail is great even painting the edges of the rotors, cool man. How did you smooth out the tank so well when hammering it in?

CafeMack said:
This is a sweet build, looking forward to see it come together. All the detail is great even painting the edges of the rotors, cool man. How did you smooth out the tank so well when hammering it in?
Thank you, I finally have everything I need (except time) to get this thing back together. Body filler was used on the tank after the indents were made. If your good with metal i think the easier way would of been to actually cut the indents out from the tank then flip them and weld them back in. It took a lot of patience to get them both the right depth and shape. Another trick I heard of after was to weld a rod in the shape you want the indent to be then hammer away, the rod would keep the shape.

5da69563034f203665ee42eaceb451f8.jpg
d55b5c681c09b1364daf34a9a02e0819.jpg
b596c34044138fa68232f84d5c912303.jpg
4554360b2b65fdc04b64125b6108646f.jpg
6be22af71b9ac9cd6a1039cc4ec33490.jpg
98001e0b877397008803ac85d84443df.jpg

Would love to get these photographed out in the sun but for now there staying put in the attic, will take some better photos of them outdoors soon.

Super clean man, what style/color seat you going with? Have you done any work to the engine internals?

Edit: My fault, I re-read, bored out cylinders, all new hardware, right. Do you know how many CCs that makes it now?

CafeMack said:
Super clean man, what style/color seat you going with? Have you done any work to the engine internals?

Edit: My fault, I re-read, bored out cylinders, all new hardware, right. Do you know how many CCs that makes it now?
Seats out getting upholstered with diamond pattern on the top, medium Brown leather. The motor is now an 811

Back
Top Bottom