SR500 Project

VonYinzer said:
Arent you done with this thing yet? Jeez... ::)

Working on it :eek:

Gotta get up to a friends place and bend up my rear hoop, blast and powder the frame, and the assemble.
Get some shocks, get some bars, get some grips, etc etc etc
fuck

Oh i forgot:
Forks
Paint,
Weld up my rear seat pan
decide on upholstery
etc.

Thats for reminding me of all of that
thefinger.gif

How are the sr forks, are they 35mm ill bet we can work out a swap for that yz front end if your

My forks are shot the tops are pretty pitted and there's a bit of pitting in the deal area as well.

They are the same as the xs650 forks 35mm (same part number after 1978)
How long are the yz forks?

I think 99 or 2000ish 500 ninja's are your new best friend i gpt a set but there already going to rich ard there 36mm and the lower triple is steel so stem swaps are ez

Brad thanks man ill be on the lookout. But I don't know how you guys find these things. Around here everyone wants 3-400 bucks for a front end

Hey man, those mag wheels look great. I like when they are fully painted and the outside of the rim isn't left raw. I plan to do the same.

Can't wait to see a roller. Keep up the good work.

Get a move on already... You need to finish that single, drop it off here to keep my 652cc single company, and take home the 248cc p-twin. You know you want to, a Yamaha is going to feel bad stuck in an otherwise Honda stable...

Nice work so far, and if you want the bars, let me know. I found two sets of higher ones in the garage and barn that I need to paint since nature did me a favor and popped the chrome on them... Nothing says "fake" like seeing chrome on a Scrambler...

hunter31415 said:
Let me know if you want that set of SR forks I have. We can work something out. The whole mess is looking good.
Hunter I shot you some pms but I definitely want them if you're willing to let them go cheap

And scruffy ill take the bars why not shoot me a pm with some PayPal info amigo

I'll get the info from my wife, she has an account. I think PayPal is evil incarnate...

Hell, you could just drive over and get them (along with your burl log...). It's "only" what, 3 hours or so?

Let me see if my grips and junk will come off cleanly, I need the throttle sleeve, perches and levers, and the switch boxes.

And there you have it, fits almost like a glove. Still needs a bit of banging but I got tired and bored.
null_zps3fc0c7b3.jpg

[/quote]
Like OJ's glove!!!!

SONICJK said:
Well its been a minute since my last update. But I have been working my ass off on this thing!
Got the tires mounted for a stupid price a few days ago.
And tonight I got the engine all buttoned up:
Gotta say, I am quite pleased 8)
Ignore the oily finger prints on the oil filter cover ::)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/jbrady2/IMG_1411_zps62d0b67e.jpg[/
[URL=http://s67.photobucket.com/user/jbrady2/media/IMG_1415_zps5559022f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/jbrady2/IMG_1415_zps5559022f.jpg

And I decided on a paint scheme.
The tank will get a nice dark bronze stripe powdered down the middle (same as the wheels etc) and then the tank and a slight portion of the tail will get a cream white paint job. I think its really going to set this one apart from the rest. But its going to be too pretty to ride!
Fuck that i can always repaint ;D
That paint scheme is wicked!!!!!

Okay so I know everyone has been on the edge of their seats saying "what will he do next!?"

Okay not really but I felt it was time for an update. Its been too long. Life gets in the way. Who needs it.

The suspension has arrived:

Shocks are cheap RFY's that will be torn down, rebuilt, and powder coated to match.

The forks are USD 46mm Showa's from a 2009 WR250X Supermoto and are beefy as all hell. They are going to be killer.
They are about 36" long at the moment, and the stock SR500 forks are 31.5.
I raised the rear by 1.5" and want to raise the front my 2-2.5 inches which should level the bike up nicely and not mess with the handling too much (hopefully)
That means the forks will be lowered by about 2-2.5". Now I just have to figure out the proper way to lower cartridge forks, i have a few write up's bookmarked and it looks real simple. I dont mind losing that 2 inches of travel, as theres almost 11" stock.

Picked up a nissin 2pot caliper off a yz something or other and te matching master for 20 bucks.
Bolted right up to the forks, and the brake rotor fits in just fine so it's looking like I'm just going to need a spacer for the rotor perhaps to get this together. Although I hope the size is the same. We shall see

null_zpsdb0f1acc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom