'79 CB650 - Front brake and clutch levers have two wires

jhendu21

This is kind of an odd question, but why would my front brake and my clutch levers have two wires coming off of them? I want to replace them both with aftermarket levers, and I don't determine why the stock ones have the wires. I did look through my manual and it doesn't mention it anywhere. Thanks.

The brake switch (to turn on your brake light) and clutch safety switch. You'll need to find another way to activate your brake light (you can put an inline switch on the brake fluid line) and hopefully someone else can speak to the clutch switch, I haven't dealt with that :)

For clutch perch Im running one off a 80-84 xs650 with clutch switch. Ordered from xs650direct.com, think on the site its called safe-t switch.

Brake lever switch you can just use banjo bolt switches like this
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-brake-parts-universal-hydraulic-brake-switch.html

Djfob said:
For clutch perch Im running one off a 80-84 xs650 with clutch switch. Ordered from xs650direct.com, think on the site its called safe-t switch.

Brake lever switch you can just use banjo bolt switches like this
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-brake-parts-universal-hydraulic-brake-switch.html

Where does this go in reference to the brake lines? I assume on the lever itself?

You would normally put it on the calliper end to give a 'clean' set of bars.

Unless you didn't want to.

It replaces the original banjo bolt that holds the brake hose to the brake lever/master cylinder. If you are going to replace the brake lever assembly...buy one that has a built in switch for the brake lites.
I bought one fron mikesxs for my honda and its great. Inexpensive also. Just make sure you match the master Cylinder bore sizes or your brakes wont work right anymore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom