'81XS650 used to be a chop. ♡♥♡♥♡

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
Picked up an '81 "Heritage" model for a song from a dude in MD last week (thanks again for the lead and help Brad and Rob). Now its time to chop it up and build some radness. So far I've ordered/collected/had:

Lowbrow "Peanut" tank.
Monstercraftsman hardtail set-up.
Cool 4.5" bottom mount headlight.
Couple different universal (vintage style) taillights.
'89 GS500 forks.
One off drag (ish?) pipes, previously used on Brads tracker. Will be modified to work on the chop.
Black solo seat.
Norman Hyde "M" bars, because Tim is a god. A GOD I SAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Random master cylinders, clutch perches, etc. to pick and choose from.
Some other crap that I'm forgetting.

Stuff I need to order/make/steal:

Seat hinge/springs.
Sissy bar.
Rear fender (that I'll most likely task Junior with fabbing up).
Battery/elec box.
Mid mount pegs. I mean, have you ever seen the crap they try and charge $100 for? Criminal I say...
Some other crap I'm forgetting.

I'll be using the funky Heritage wheels. 19 front and 16 rear. If you've never seen them... They're "interesting" haha. I dig 'em though and think they'll fit the whole "way back" look of the bike well. If not I have some mags, or other spoked wheels to pull for it. What do they say about crossing the bridge?

Well, that all for now. Pics coming tomorrow, though I'm still waiting on parts so it won't be anything too exciting. Just a dirty engine and some crusty wheels. And maybe a kitten or puppy. Or a kitten AND a puppy. Or a dancing skeleton cartoon from the 1920s. We shall see.

Re: '81 XS650 short chop - "Schizophrenic"

For those of ya who've never seen the XS Heritage Special wheels... They're different for sure. Drop center like old HD rollers, and about 1,793 spokes in a crazy overlapping fan pattern. Crappy pic from when I picked them, but you get the idea...

20130802_220822.jpg

I will not lace those if they come apart. NOT I tell you.

Signed up for the rest of this insanity.

Big Rich said:
I will not lace those if they come apart. NOT I tell you.

Signed up for the rest of this insanity.

Haha... If they come apart, I'd be MORE than happy to drop them off somewhere and pay to have them relaced. Fuck that noise.

Neal has one of these that he rides everywhere. Completely stock, butt ugly, and I hate it because it's so reliable. It is lovingly coined "El Negro"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Pm big rich about lacing those wheels

In. Weld 'er up.

I have several spare parts from my xs. If yooz need anything let me know and I will see if I have it

Hey Rich, I've got a set of 64 spoke midnight special wheels. I was wondering if you would be interested in lacing them up for me...

Kanticoy said:
Hey Rich, I've got a set of 64 spoke midnight special wheels. I was wondering if you would be interested in lacing them up for me...

Sure thing buddy! You'll be using Kevlar inner tubes though right? There might be a couple spokes sticking thru the rim strips...... Kiley, I'm glad you posted - you reminded me: A friend of mine wants to put a supercharger on his 400F along with FI, an oil cooler, a trailer hitch, and needs the stock tank stretched to hold 7.34 gallons. You don't mind if I give him your cell number, do you?

Big Rich said:
Sure thing buddy! You'll be using Kevlar inner tubes though right? There might be a couple spokes sticking thru the rim strips...... Kiley, I'm glad you posted - you reminded me: A friend of mine wants to put a supercharger on his 400F along with FI, an oil cooler, a trailer hitch, and needs the stock tank stretched to hold 7.34 gallons. You don't mind if I give him your cell number, do you?

Don't forget the carbon fibre and aluminum frame he wants fabbed.

I heard he is casting all the parts outta smelted working bmw speedos from the early 70's

canyoncarver said:
In for the ride. The R5 is going to wait eh?

Yup. Building a quick daily beater while the R5 recieves some real deal shit. Should be fun all across the board.

Re: Re: '81 XS650 short chop - "Schizophrenic"

bradj said:
I heard he is casting all the parts outta smelted working bmw speedos from the early 70's

That's true. For some reason though when I do that they all end up sounding like Massey Ferguson tractors...

Cool mike mine has been in that many pieces for two years. And somehow I feel as if yours will be done way before mine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ok... Quick non-update update.

Tank should be here in a couple days. The hardtail will be here tomorrow. Still waiting on word regarding the seat (Cookie, what's up buddy? ;) ).

That's it. Just more waiting...

20130814_195344.jpg

Time to get to work. The hardtail is the MK21, buikt by Voodoo Vintage and sold through Monstercraftsman. Has a slightly different shape to it than the TC Bros tail that everyone uses which I liked. Also seems to be a sturdier piece than the TC Bros one. Anyway... As soon as I actually have some time off from work/life in general, I'll get chopping.

I want to watch this will be good ..... Where's the DAM popcorn ?

Back
Top Bottom