www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Simplified Wiring Digrams  (Read 71433 times)

Offline vdubbles24

Re: Simplified Wiring Digrams
« Reply #120 on: Oct 14, 2015, 21:37:50 »
It's ALIVE!!

Thank you.

Now just out of curiousity what is the brown and brown/white wires originally for?  Can I use them on a bare bones bobber style wiring set up?

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #121 on: Oct 14, 2015, 22:59:11 »
Those wires are for the tail light and gauge lights.

In older setups, turning on the headlight would put power onto the brown/white wire which turned on the gauges. The brown/white wire was also routed through back to the ignition switch so that it would pass power onto the brown wire on the tail light.

They pass through the ignition switch this way so that you could turn the key to the park position and have power go to just the brown wire and light up the tail light.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Harsh

« Reply #122 on: Sep 09, 2016, 11:06:02 »
For some reason the wiring on these bikes kicks my butt.  I am changing the controls to a set from an 08 SV650.  I am not sure if this is correct or not.  I am not sure what to do with the Y and Y/w wires and I would like to add a switch to turn the headlight on/off.

Right Switch.........Bike

Black /r...............Black
Black /bl..............Green /y
Yellow /g.............Red /y
Orange /w...........Black /w
Orange /b............Black
Light Green..........Light Blue
Light Blue............Gray
Black..................Orange

Left Switch...........Bike

Black /y..............not used - clutch switch
Black /y..............not used - clutch switch
Black /w.............Light Green
Orange /g...........Black
Light Green.........Light Blue
Light Blue...........Gray
Black.................Orange
Orange..............Black
Yellow...............Blue
White................White
........................Yellow - to Alternator and RR
........................Yellow /w - to Alternator
........................Brown /w - power from ignition switch to speedo/tach lights.  Doesn't have to run through handlebar controls.

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2016, 20:54:29 by Harsh »
2014 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Daytona 675 - Track Bike
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Koëstom

• Motion Photos
« Reply #123 on: Oct 09, 2016, 13:10:26 »
Barebones diagram for the Honda twins and singles.  Only enough to get the bike running and keep it that way.  No lights, signals, or gauges included.  Though not pictured, I recommend a 5A fuse on the black wire leading to the coils.

In this diagram the kill switch is wired directly to the battery, and I get that this is just wiring for a running bike, but there should be a solenoid added to the diagram because you'd never want anyone to wire the amperage of the battery through the tiny kill switch or it would overheat the switch and... kill stuff.

A solenoid should be added since it won't over-complicate the diagram add a ton of safety for people who might take the diagram literally.

Also... if you added the wire gauge for 12v and 6v systems in a legend it would be more awesome :)

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2016, 13:14:34 by MitchellSK »
Los Gatos, CA
1978 Honda Twinstar cm185cc: The Black Pearl project

1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing Project

Motion Photos On Facebook

'86 Honda VT700, just bought on April 29 '17
Honda z50 (sold)
Honda CB125... the original... long gone :(
Honda cb360 (sold)
Honda cb400f (sold)
Honda cb450 (sold)
Honda cb500t (sold)
Honda cb550 (sold)
'75 Honda cb750 (sold)
'78 Honda cb750 (sold)

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #124 on: Oct 10, 2016, 10:42:26 »
In this diagram the kill switch is wired directly to the battery, and I get that this is just wiring for a running bike, but there should be a solenoid added to the diagram because you'd never want anyone to wire the amperage of the battery through the tiny kill switch or it would overheat the switch and... kill stuff.

A solenoid should be added since it won't over-complicate the diagram add a ton of safety for people who might take the diagram literally.

Also... if you added the wire gauge for 12v and 6v systems in a legend it would be more awesome :)

Assuming you're using the stock switch, it can handle the current that the coils are pulling. It does just that in almost every vintage bike I can think of.

Admittedly a fuse isn't a bad idea, but a relay isn't necessary and doesn't add anything needed to a circuit as simple as this one.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline rcs4140

« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2017, 13:58:57 »

Also... in your diagram, the yellow/white wire is superfluous.  Splice the white in with the yellow and remove the other wiring run.

My son bought a '73 CB125 for a project bike.  He bought a replacement light switch that doesn't have the DY/SE switch.

Been reading other posts.  Sounds like:
That bike doesn't have a regulator
The battery is used instead to help regulate.
When the light switch is off, 1 leg of the alternator goes through the rectifier to charge the battery.
When the lights are on, all 3 legs are used to charge.

From the quote above,  are you saying you can bypass the switch and always run all 3 alternator outputs to the rectifier?  Any concerns with always running all 3 into the battery?

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2017, 16:59:09 »
From the quote above,  are you saying you can bypass the switch and always run all 3 alternator outputs to the rectifier?  Any concerns with always running all 3 into the battery?

That's correct, but it's not advised in a system without a regulator. We have a few 6V regulator/rectifiers (not on our website) if you wanted one. $35, shipped. PM me if interested. If you wanted to upgrade to 12V, we can help with that, too.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline jsmith1107

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2017, 21:32:50 »
New to this site so sorry if I am missing it somewhere---has anyone did a simplified diagram for a Kawasaki 750 or 1100?  I am currently working on a 1100 and turning it into a Street Tracker.  Any help is appreciated! 

Offline doug1986

« Reply #128 on: Jul 02, 2017, 23:07:51 »
Evening to you all

This is my first post so apologies if this is a well trodden path, however I would very much appreciate if someone look over my wiring diagram.
This is for a 1969 Honda cb350, kick start, speedo, kill switch, front and back light only, using a reg/rec combo.
Any pointers would be most welcome.

Thanks
Doug

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #129 on: Jul 03, 2017, 02:41:37 »
Evening to you all

This is my first post so apologies if this is a well trodden path, however I would very much appreciate if someone look over my wiring diagram.
This is for a 1969 Honda cb350, kick start, speedo, kill switch, front and back light only, using a reg/rec combo.
Any pointers would be most welcome.

Thanks
Doug

Power on the handlebar switch and on the rear brake switch should probably be going to black, not red. In the case of the rear brake switch, I can see an argument for wanting to be able to use it even when the bike is turned off, but it should probably connect in after the fuse, if this was the desired operation.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses