www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Simplified Wiring Digrams  (Read 77138 times)

Offline Getho

Re: Simplified Wiring Digrams
« Reply #40 on: Nov 12, 2013, 02:24:40 »
Is there any issues with running all the power through the ignition switch? Or is it better to run it off a relay triggered by the switch?

Eg: Battery -> Ignition switch -> Coils, headlight, etc

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #41 on: Nov 12, 2013, 10:28:45 »
Depending on the component(s) you're powerering, there can be some benefit by using the relay approach.  Usually it's high(er)-draw components (such as headlight and/or ignition coils) that see the greatest effect. 95% of the time I just run the power through the ignition switch, though.  It's how it was designed to work to begin with.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Tijmen

• Currently working on a GN125
« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:54:51 »
I'm planning on doing a completely new harness because I want to remove some things and move some stuff around and think I'll be better off just starting from scratch because of the current state of the harness. Currently the bike only starts when it's in neutral, I'm gripping the clutch and the side-stand is up, but I'm a (nearly) grown-ass man and I want to be able to start my bike whenever I damn well please to so that stuff has to go. Pretty straight-forward I thought, but I just can't make any sense of what the side-stand diode is doing, could anyone shed a light on my wiring diagram?

Somewhat figured it, what do you guys think?

On the ignition coil there's a W and an O/W wire, am I correct in thinking the W only gives pulses for the timing and the actual juice comes from the O/W wire? If so, does that mean I can start the engine when the kill switch is in the kill position?

If so, that would mean I can just remove all the crap with sidestand in its name and immediately connect the kill-switch to the O wire from the ignition switch? And the wire from the neutral indicator light can just immediately go to the neutral switch?

Then I can connect the start switch immediately to the starter relay and Bob's my uncle?

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/6NrRC0j.jpg
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2014, 12:03:49 by Tijmen »

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:58:23 »
Diodes ensure that current flows only in one direction.

In this case, it lets your neutral switch act as a ground for the neutral indicator light as well as sidestand switch and relay, but without either of those things grounding each other in the process.  When your sidestand relay is removed, the diode can come out, too.  The ground side of the neutral indicator light can then be routed directly to the neutral switch.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:04:17 »
Just saw this thread and have a Suzuki 4 cylinder basic schematic to contribute. (3 page pdf)
Let me know if it has already been submitted and I'll delete it to keep from clogging this great thread.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2014, 12:23:33 by Hoosier Daddy »
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Tijmen

« Reply #45 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:19:39 »
Diodes ensure that current flows only in one direction.

In this case, it lets your neutral switch act as a ground for the neutral indicator light as well as sidestand switch and relay, but without either of those things grounding each other in the process.  When your sidestand relay is removed, the diode can come out, too.  The ground side of the neutral indicator light can then be routed directly to the neutral switch.

Thanks! Was just editing my post when you replied, glad to have it confirmed. :)

Just saw this thread and have a Suzuki 4 cylinder basic schematic to contribute.
Let me know if it has already been submitted and I'll delete it to keep from clogging this great thread.

Definitely useful, thanks!

Offline Bucky685

« Reply #46 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:14:28 »
Here is my Diagram for a '74 Honda CB360T
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2014, 13:28:34 by Bucky685 »

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #47 on: Mar 12, 2014, 13:09:40 »
Just a point for peoples who live in states where spot checks are not unheard of:  If police are looking to find things wrong with bikes to impound them and make life miserable, all they need is to check the headlamp switch.

According to DOT regulations, a headlamp cannot have a dead spot between Low and High, but can have a moment when both are one.  Cheap on-off switches often have a dead spot in the middle. 

And the light switch is required to be on the left bar.

Is that an issue for you?  Only you can determine that, but it's useful to know what the law is.  Just to really mess things up, different states have their own laws and regulations so what's legal in one state could potentially be illegal in another.

It comes down to how much of a PIA are cops in your town/county/state and how much attention your bike draws. Mine is big and loud and colorful and stands out, so I try to be aware and not draw too much unwanted attention.

Offline Tijmen

« Reply #48 on: Mar 12, 2014, 19:55:41 »
Wiring for my Suzuki GN125, got rid of the neutral, clutch and sidestand switch breaking the starting circuit, the light switch and parking lights, so it's an always but with a Hi/Lo and the parking mode for the ignition which would only enable the parking lights. Only thing I'm not sure of are fuses, stock it only has a 15 amp fuse between the battery and the ignition switch, but that seems pretty marginal to me, what do you guys think?

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/StAwjrv.png

Offline aeon

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2014, 13:33:40 »
Would any of these diagrams be applicable for a 73 CB750? If not, would someone be able to do one?
- 1973 Honda CB750K
- 1978 Honda CB750F
- 1989 Honda GB500