turbocharged cb550 bobber

Run a black stripe up the tank to match and see if you like it. Just use electrical tape. Might help the seat blend in.

Did some work on mounting a headlight, tail light, and plate mount. Plate mount was prepped, painted and reinstalled after the pic. I'm not in love with the look of the big chrome bracket holding the headlight, hoping to take a look at it tomorrow to see if I can shorten it and rattle can it black at the least. A one piece regulator/rectifier from a newer cb is on its way. Also need to route wiring for the headlight, tail light, and brake light switch.

Attachments

• AA20160313_144846.jpg
    AA20160313_144846.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,065
  • AA20160313_170910.jpg
    AA20160313_170910.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 347
xb33bsa said:
word that plate bracket will hurt you cut you break your ankle or worse

Are you just worried about nailing it while walking around the bike or mounting/dismounting? Sharp edges were smoothed up before it was painted. This pic was a just test fit. A simple license plate frame has also been ordered.

mswans said:
Are you just worried about nailing it while walking around the bike or mounting/dismounting? Sharp edges were smoothed up before it was painted. This pic was a just test fit. A simple license plate frame has also been ordered.

all of the above how you cannot see that that plate will hurt you in the end is beyond me ...use some sense ,man !! its gonna trip you and throw you down

xb33bsa said:
all of the above how you cannot see that that plate will hurt you in the end is beyond me ...use some sense ,man !! its gonna trip you and throw you down

Don't want this to turn into an argument, but I'm still not seeing the danger. Won't my plate frame with rounded corners eliminate any possibility of a cut from the sharp edges (that were all removed after the picture)? Doesn't seem to be near my leg when I'm in riding position or when I have my feet on the ground. And as far as a trip hazard, this sticks out about as far as the engine. The forward controls should be a much greater obstacle. Also, When the kickstand is down the bike will be leaning over the plate some. These are my thoughts on the issue, but I am open to opinions from all. Learning from other's experiences is quicker than figuring it out first hand myself.

There are only ten thousand or so bikes with a plate mounted that way. Must be a major source of worldwide injury.

deviant said:
There are only ten thousand or so bikes with a plate mounted that way. Must be a major source of worldwide injury.

all done by idiots in my opinion, its just a really stupid place to mount a plate especially on the left side and especially with a bike that is very likely going to be pushed more than ridden under power
hey but i am clumsy and could hurt myself on a standard motorcycle so i don t need any help

xb33bsa said:
all done by idiots in my opinion, its just a really stupid place to mount a plate especially on the left side and especially with a bike that is very likely going to be pushed more than ridden under power
hey but i am clumsy and could hurt myself on a standard motorcycle so i don t need any help

Wow, I hope the OP rides the piss out of this bike to prove you wrong. Pretty much a dick thing to say on any build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xb33bsa said:

Ha, well I'm an idiot too I guess. I put about 8000 miles on my 750 with a sideways mount tag on the left. (It was the chevron light tag combo from No School choppers.) Don't remember ever tripping on it tho. What made me finally remove it was I wanted a brighter light/different look, and the suspect legality that I figured would draw unnecessary attention - as a very friendly cop pointed out to me once. I run a Lucas style now, still miss the sideways chevron sometimes.

Well, who all here likes dual sport tires? Am I going to love these or regret them? At first I thought the rear tire looked a little on the narrow side, but other than that I'm liking the looks. If this bike can decently navigate some gravel roads in moderation, I'll be making use of it for sure.

Front brakes are now up to snuff. New master, braided hose, and rebuilt the caliper. Gauges are good to go now too. My machinist buddies made a nice plastic piece that clamps a boost gauge next to my mini tach. I wanted a speedo/odometer, and I thought 3 gauges would look a little cluttered all clustered together, so I went with the mini speedo mounted at the front axle from cyclexchange.

About the last thing to do is get a carb on it and do some tuning! I've decided against the 40mm flatslide i was using, due to the lack of an accelerator pump. Currently working out what I'll be getting for a carb.

Attachments

• 20160410_194737.jpg
    20160410_194737.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 354
  • 20160410_194711.jpg
    20160410_194711.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 370
  • 20160410_194650.jpg
    20160410_194650.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 373
Tires are a different look than normal, looks cool/different.

Aren't you worried about giving up some road comfort though?

h0yitsdom said:
Tires are a different look than normal, looks cool/different.

Aren't you worried about giving up some road comfort though?

hey thanks, Im loving the look of the front but havent decided if I love the rear. does it look super narrow to anyone else? its a 4.10-18 on the stock rim.

And to be honest, no I'm not worried about road comfort much. Ive got a modern bagger for the trips with any length. Zero experience riding even a hardtailed bike though, maybe I'll be eating my words!

mswans said:
Well, who all here likes dual sport tires? Am I going to love these or regret them? At first I thought the rear tire looked a little on the narrow side, but other than that I'm liking the looks. If this bike can decently navigate some gravel roads in moderation, I'll be making use of it for sure.

Been silently following this build from the beginning. Really enjoying it.

I have run those duel sport tires on a bike before, and though I sold it and didn't ride it much I thought they were fine tires.

I see you want to be able to navigate gravel roads, so in that respect, they make sense. In every other respect, I'm not sure how they found their way onto a turbo-charged hardtail. I probably would have gone with street tires but that's because I wouldn't want to take a hardtail on dirt roads... but if you do, more power to you!

treitz said:
Been silently following this build from the beginning. Really enjoying it.

I have run those duel sport tires on a bike before, and though I sold it and didn't ride it much I thought they were fine tires.

I see you want to be able to navigate gravel roads, so in that respect, they make sense. In every other respect, I'm not sure how they found their way onto a turbo-charged hardtail. I probably would have gone with street tires but that's because I wouldn't want to take a hardtail on dirt roads... but if you do, more power to you!

My wife's bike has some and I've ridden it in the wet and the dirt. Honestly never thought twice about it, they are quite nice.

Attachments

• 20130320_145639.jpg
    20130320_145639.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 347
Back
Top Bottom