turbocharged cb550 bobber

The manifold on the old school kits had the turbo blowing directly at the back wall of the manifold.
That is because the fuel would desperate and go to the outside of the scroll. The centrifugal force
will give you a stream of fuel on the outside of the exducer(?) It needed to hit the wall on the backside
of the manifold to break up and some what reatomize.

swansmaa said:
forgive me for being ignorant, but what is it that gives the plenum style an advantage (other than space savings and simplicity)? Thats the best thing about these projects, I can have fun with it and learn more for the next project.

A plenum adds to the volume of air that is being pressurized so that when an intake valve opens up to fill the cylinder, the pressure drop in between the turbo and the cylinder (manifold and plenum) is smaller. It helps to keep the turbo from surging and provides smoother power delivery.

A plenum should be at least equal in volume to the displacement on the engine on a four cylinder engine. Double the volume for a twin and quadruple it for a single.

Sonreir said:
A plenum adds to the volume of air that is being pressurized so that when an intake valve opens up to fill the cylinder, the pressure drop in between the turbo and the cylinder (manifold and plenum) is smaller. It helps to keep the turbo from surging and provides smoother power delivery.

A plenum should be at least equal in volume to the displacement on the engine on a four cylinder engine. Double the volume for a twin and quadruple it for a single.

ah, that all makes good sense. hopefully i don't run into compressor surge problems with my current setup. guess i'll find out!

heres how it sits now, hopefully i'll have some time to work on a seat this week. I originally planned on finding a sportster tank or some sort of peanut tank, but this big ol' blue thing is starting to grow on me. And its free, which leaves a little more cash for the necessities. I plan on building a springer seat and forward controls. I'm 6'3" and 210. I haven't really decided on bars yet. I like the look of clip ons, but i'm thinking they might be a little too low with forward controls. I'm thinking maybe drag bars. Any other bigger guys got suggestions? I don't plan on riding this thing across the country or anything, but I also don't want to look like a monkey bangin a football when i ride it.

Attachments

• 20131005_182219_resized.jpg
    20131005_182219_resized.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 619
yeah I think drag bars would be fitting.. and if someone says you look like a monkey banging a football, remind them your motorcycle has a turbo... a turbo. yeah.

Just watched the video.. Wow dude. Wow.. That's awesome! Can't wait to see how she turns out!

Way to set the bar for all of us other 550 builds.. ;) lol

Holy Crap! Not sure how I missed this but I am in!

Can't wait to see some videos of this ripping down the street!

supercool project! hope you can get to riding it soon ;D
i would put some flat track bend bars on it, straight drag bars are totally worthless if you plan on actually riding it
a rider needs to have some control ya'know

Well this project got put on hold for a while for various reasons, but I've made some small progress. Going with a springer seat. Cut the Pan out of an old tractor seat, and built a pivot bracket that fastens to the bottom of the pan and uses 2 heim joints for the pivot. Right now I'm working on the placement and mounting of a couple ebay seat springs. Once I get the seat functional, the next plan is to start tackling the forward controls.

Attachments

• zunnamed.jpg
    zunnamed.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,484
  • zseatts.jpg
    zseatts.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,504
  • zseat.jpg
    zseat.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,492
Decided to drag this thing out once again for some attention. Added a pair of 12" mini apes (plan on chopping them up some) and the springer seat is now functional.

Attachments

• 20141208_001206_resized.jpg
    20141208_001206_resized.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 495
  • 20141208_001238_resized.jpg
    20141208_001238_resized.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 478
  • 20141208_000944_resized.jpg
    20141208_000944_resized.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 507
Making some progress on forward controls! A shitty rachet handle, snowmobile tie rod, stock cb foot grips, stock brake lever, and some scrap steel turned into this.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,838
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,860
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,881
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg