CR500 , 2 stroke hardtail chopper project

I am a little concerned with how exactly someone will ride this. I see a few trips to the ER in the future. :)

VonYinzer said:
I am a little concerned with how exactly someone will ride this. I see a few trips to the ER in the future. :)

Dude better hold on cause he might find it kicks out in the rear a little :)

Attachments

• buckin'%20bronc%20color.jpg
    buckin'%20bronc%20color.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 368

I saved this cr500's life. It was just a tired 27 year old dirtbike that had been put out to pasture.

I have dropped the rear 12 teeth and added about 20" to the wheelbase, but I'm still expecting it will wheelie.. I'm planning on digital ignition so the powerband is a little bit wider. But nothing I can do will keep it from being a 500cc 2 stroke. I am a 2 stroke road racing champion, I'll be able to handle it.,

looking sweet ;D love the way you have built it resplendent with the femoral artery severing seatcleaver and bolts
please be sure and mount a secondary gashing device perhaps an uglysharp plate bracket maybe with some drywall screws hanging out ;D
carry on post video !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happy new year ;)

Oh. you ladies on this message board have no balls and almost no imagination.

Afraid that a motorcycle will go to fast? It's pathetic to set your sites on going 100mph. Seriously. It is a disgrace to use the word racer in your description.

Those bolts are temporary holders while I was shaping the trim ring. I will be using all polished vintage brass hardware and didn't want to damage that stuff with the rosebud torch.

I'm tottaly fine with criticisms. But at least be respectful enough to ask a question before you make yourself look like a jack ass. It's an unusual project, I understand that, but please, try and be accepting of someone trying something more than what everyone else is doing.

I realized I put a chopper on a cafe racer forum, but at my first glance this appeared to be a message board with creative craftsman that could appreciate the work i am doing.

obviously this post is not intended for those that have given your support of this project. I appreciate you.

Not sure if I'm one of the unimaginative ladies you speak of...

But no matter... You need to chill out my man. This is a public forum. Dont want the publics opinions, then start your own forum and ban everyone who doesn't line your path with the roses of self righteousness.

My comments have absolutly NOTHING to do with the fact that the bike is a "chopper" (I love choppers, have owned a few, am building another and starting on at least one more very soon), or the fact that the 500 motor is fast. I think thats rad. They weren't even based on your fabricating abilities, as they seem to be above average (while mine languish in the bush league still). They were however based on the fact that you've built yourself a VERY light bike, with a VERY powerful motor and did so in a fashion that will be somewhat difficult to operate safely.

Limited visibility, near nonexistent ergonomics, and again... a VERY powerful engine.

Now, dont take this the wrong way. I like the fact that you're building what you want. Hell, I downright respect it. That said, I know you're building something that is inherently dangerous on various levels. And since this is (again ::) ) a PUBLIC forum, I and everyone else here have every damned right to comment however we'd like. Again, dont like it? Take your ball and go home. That would be a pretty lame move on your part, but thats up to you.

Now... I'll (kind of) apologize for the rant, but there's been a lot of this shit going on here and you happened to be the latest. So... Sorry.

I REALLY like this out of the box project you are doing,and yes there are some real metal creative skills here!
I`ve had a couple of yz 490`s,RM 465`s and Kx 500`s over the years,but i dont think i would have had the cojones to throttle your Cr :eek:......
I`m sure you will have a whole lotta fun on it tho.
Keep it up.
Cheers J. 8)

thanks for the change in tone everyone.. I have always said I prefer any criticisms over compliments.. every thing I do get lots of compliments and I appreciate them but constructive criticism is what I truly appreciate.. Its just frustrating when people make comments on things that are really obvious.. like telling my my exhaust is gonna touch the ground while its not even bolted on to the bike.. its a build thread, obviously its not done until it done.. is it every done??

re: its obscene power plant. I think that is what sets the build apart.. I have ridden CR500 on moto cross track and done some laps on a cr500 motard on a road race course.. The bike is still a bit of a handful on the road, but it is much more manageable.. The tendency of a dirt bike is to slip the rear tire until the traction catches, then a quick trip through the power band and you are shifting gears already.. since you have to make the gear changes so fast the bike never gets out of the revs so it feel like you are constantly accelerating and quickly get to a point of hauling ass.. hauling ass on the dirt is around 50mph.. not all that fast.. but the 67hp stock bike does top out at 115mph assuming no traction loss..

Now when you are on the street, your bike has no issues with traction loss unless you initiate the wheel slip.. So you tend to slip the clutch out slowly when you launch.. this eliminates the wheel slip and puts the 2stroke at a disadvantage on the street because you will have to wait for the exhaust to resonate and hit the power band.. that instantly changes the way the bike reacts at going through the gears.. So after you have waited on the revs to come up you grab another gear. (I only clutch 1st gear) and the revs are again pulled down because of traction.. and again takes a moment of waiting to build the rpms for a 2nd shift.. but the addition of traction makes the bike very manageable

down shifts are also pretty timid because of limited back pressure in a 2 stroke.. you will rev engine, but it without exhaust resonance it just doesn't make power..

the biggest problem will be the times when the bike is steady throttle.. because of the exhaust resonation the rpm's are affected by factors other than just air and fuel. My hope is that the digital ignition will stabilize the mid range throttle twitchiness by adding a few hundred more maps to the ignition..

but like I said, it will always be a twitchy 2 stroke.. that is where experience has to come in to handle variations..

anyway.. sorry to rant.. but I would much rather have an informed discussion. It seems silly to call me "that guy" when Im right here to answer questions or concerns you might have about my well being..

I cant tell from the pics but did you change the engine mounts to level the engine out or is it rocked back with the front of the frame? I only ask because the carbs may have an issue sitting at a weird angle.

No, I didn't. It started with roughly a 10° forward tilt and now has about a 5° rear tilt.. This is the first tube frame bike I have built and I decided to stop at a hard tail fabrication. It was gonna be a lot more work to redo the frame from the engine mounts forward. This way I start with a good solid straight engine cradle and neck then I could just focus on the axle mount being straight.

I'm putting on a straight manifold designed for carts that don't have airboxes that require and angled carb. That will level the carb a little more and I can fine tune with a float.

I agree it would look better level, but not for the work it was gonna take. since it's a 2 stroke I had no concern about oil flow. These bikes spend their life on one wheel anyway, right?

Yeah I've never had a dirt bike not run going up steep hills or over jumps but i also didn't worry about fuel spilling out of them either. You've still got a pretty cool looking project going. I like those 500 two strokes. I heard a big thing now is putting them in CRF450 frames for a special asphalt race class.

This bike is crazy, uncomfortable and dangerous

I love that in a bike!
The seat looks raw, are you planning on running it like this?

No, the seat will be covered in 1/2" foam and leather wrapped top n bottom. The long bolts will be replaced with polished brass carriage bolts and acorn nuts. I just didn't want to ruin them when I was torch bending that trim ring.

It will certainly be a good time to ride. I got tired of seeing cb500 builds and decided a cr500 would be a hell of a lot more fun.

Back
Top Bottom