78 CB750F Build

PJs Garage

This is a update on the Cafe bike that I built.
Finished the Build in August of 2014.
It's first ride was in Sturgis, South Dakota for the 2014 rally. Sturgis is a life changing place everyone should go.
The bike has been a weekend riding bike. I recently had a child and it is time to sell the bike. It will be going on the Mecum auction block June 3rd 2017 in Las Vegas, NV.

Cerberus Motorcycles in San Diego CA.

Cerberus Motorcycles in San Diego CA.

On the truck coming home

Home and ready to be changed for life.

Lets build a tail from fiberglass

Im thinking a 4 into 1 exhaust

Scaling the bike.

She weighs in at 488 lbs

Stripping the tank with paint stripper.

She needs some work

De-tabbing the frame for the new seat and tail

Clean frame

Arts and crafts time

Time to cut

This is the start. I need to fine tune the design.

I designed my own tail out of foam. It resembles the Kawasaki tail with some flare.

Taped and read to be waxed and fiberglassed. This took some time.

Prepping the tail with some cheap wax I found at the auto parts store.

First layer of fiberglass.

I sanded the first layer and added a second layer of fiberglass. I have about 12 hour invested so far.

After 2 layer of fiberglass, I was able to pull the foam. It is very solid and ready to be sanded.
I spent about 4 more hours sanding. I then took the tail to my body shop guy to have him do the fine tuning and get it to primer.

Wire wheeling the tank

Filler panel for the tank.

We are going to fab in a new brass fuel cap.

I was not able to find a rear set that fit the 78, So I made my own. Dime City pegs, used the stock master with brackets that I made.

Did my own carb rebuilds.

Wiring and switches

Oil PSI from Dime City

I made these because all the aftermarket products are shit.

Tail light

This is the bike as of 5/1/14

Re: Bonneville 78 CB750F

I've never used paint stripper myself.. does the old paint just wipe/scrape off easily?

Bonneville 78 CB750F

Why do you refer to yourself in the third person like you're writing an article about yourself?
It's ridiculous.

mAd mOrdigan: I thought so. But the tank had been repainted with some thick nasty paint. I took a wire wheel to it and it balled up like gum.

Hoosier Daddy: Thanks for the support.

We started on the tail today. It needs some fine tuning. It will be awesome. Im excited!

After 16 hour of foam and fiberglass work the tail is at the painter being prepped for paint.
See pictures above.

Thank you all for the support.

PJs Garage said:
After 2 layer of fiberglass, I was able to pull the foam. It is very solid and ready to be sanded.

2 layers isn't very much, even for chop mat. since you already have it getting prepped for paint on the surface, I'd throw a couple more layers on the inside if it's not too late.

I planned on adding a layer to the inside, but the mat we used was thick.
I could use it as a boat if needed.
Thanks for the info.

Just curious how you held the bike up while weighing it? When I weighed mine I set an 8" cinder block on just one scale and then after zeroing the scale I set the bike on the block to get a steady reading of 360lbs on my Sportster.
I like the seat you made and it's a good example for those who ask if it's cheaper to make one or buy one. It's only cheaper to make one if you think you time is worth nothing. My shop rate is $55/hr. If I spent what you did during shop time that's $880 plus materials. But that's what you have to do if no one makes the shape you want.

What class do you plan on running at The Salt?

I lightly balanced the bike by the bar.
I considered purchasing a tail, but I wanted a specific design. I would like to have a mold made that will bring the cost down.
I see a couple of Sanctioning body's for Bonneville. Not sure which one is better. It will be 130-140 mph

Ya, making a mold and selling off copies of the seat is the only way to recoup some of the expense of making your own. I am iin the same boat. You just hope your design is nice enough to be wanted by others.
The salt flats are run by the SCTA though different meets have different sanctioning bodies and most have rules close to the other. You just need to decide which race date you want to run to see what sanctioning bodies rules to build by. Speeds Week in Aug. and World Finals in Oct (canceled this week) are the main ones although there are just bike events.

Sorry for the long wait.

Due to some changes in my job I will not be going to Bonneville yet.

Here are some updated pics of the build.

This is a update on the Cafe bike that I built.
Finished the Build in August of 2014.
It's first ride was in Sturgis, South Dakota for the 2014 rally. Sturgis is a life changing place everyone should go.
The bike has been a weekend riding bike. I recently had a child and it is time to sell the bike. It will be going on the Mecum auction block June 3rd 2017 in Las Vegas, NV.

Cafe Racer built as a 70s period correct
A complete chassis up restoration, built only with parts and tools that were available in the 1970s
Original "F" chassis dual disk front and disk rear brakes
Custom original fuel tank with brass cap
Hand made custom fiberglass tail with hidden battery
Painted in a one-off red gold flake paint
Polished valve covers and side cases
Yoshimura 4 into 1 pipe
Electronic ignition
Electric start with hidden battery in the tail
K&N pod filters
Dyno tuned by Main Street Moto LV
530 chain conversion with 17-48 tooth sprocket set
Gusseted frame for handling
New Progressive 12 series shock and spring set
Hand made peg set with adjustable brake and shifter lever.
Complete Motorcycle frame and wheels are powder coated
All hardware is zinc plated

That came up really nice man, inspiring build. Any clearance issues with the tail or battery?

Would lovvvvve to see a video running too, looks like it sounds mean

It's real close when you go over bumps. I ended up trimming a small amount off to reduce the risk of contact of the tire.

Back
Top Bottom