www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Suzuki GR650 Scrambler/Tracker - The Strangler!  (Read 20034 times)

Offline D4N63R

Re: Suzuki GR650 Scrambler/Tracker - The Strangler!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2014, 18:53:06 »
Hey D4N63R, I am stoked to hear your experience with one of these DIY batteries. I want to build one for my GPz project, but I was concerned about the low temperatures in Vancouver, BC. When do you plan on making and trying this battery out?

whenever my cells show up hahaha...  you cant air mail them anymore so they are coming from hong kong on a boat.. going to be awhile.

ebay has bulk packs of them but hobbyking is the only place I could find that would just sell me 4

Offline Joe Suzuki

• Everything is Better With Knobbies!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2014, 19:42:51 »
I'm curious too how those work on a moto charging system without a battery management system (BMS).  Most lithium batteries need this to balance the cells.  It might work initially, but if the cells get out of balance, essentially it will take the whole pack down.

Offline Joe Suzuki

« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2014, 19:48:16 »
Thanks animalrobot.  I'm on the fence about the tank.  I'm not sure what's going to look right.  I was originally going to go with the stock tank, but its got some problems, including a bad Kreem job that I would have to deal with.  We'll see what it looks like when it arrives in a couple of weeks...

Offline D4N63R

« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2014, 14:01:25 »
I have a balance charger anyway, part of being an R/C nut. So can balance the pack once a week.

Offline animalrobot

« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2014, 15:09:06 »
whenever my cells show up hahaha...  you cant air mail them anymore so they are coming from hong kong on a boat.. going to be awhile.

ebay has bulk packs of them but hobbyking is the only place I could find that would just sell me 4

Check out DX.com if you like free shipping and don't mind waiting a decade for your items to arrive.

Offline Joe Suzuki

« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2014, 19:08:01 »
Been refining my ideas and I did some more noodling in Gimp, a free Photoshop-like program.  This is a composite with my new tank, preferred color scheme, and some hand drawings, gone over digitally.  Still uncertain about high vs. low exhaust...

Offline Joe Suzuki

« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2014, 13:37:35 »
Did some tear down and mockup of my new to me tank.  I think I like it...?  I need to hack the rear subframe off to get a better clean view.  Crappy cell phone images away!

Been doing some Solidworks noodling too.  This block of aluminum:

will soon give way to this:

Should have it machined by next week.  If everything fits, I might anodize it black to cut down on the shiny stuff.

Offline D4N63R

« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2014, 13:45:59 »
the new intake for the ITBs?

Offline Joe Suzuki

« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2014, 14:19:23 »
Its the intake adapter between my Ninja EX650 throttle body and the intake boots on the head.

Offline animalrobot

« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2014, 19:38:27 »
Ah, that's so cool. Being able to model your own parts is the dream! I need to move beyond Photoshop and into 3D :)

I have to say, I really like the tank, but it looks too long for the frame in the mockup images you showed. I'm sure you can compensate for that with the seat, somehow. But, as it stands, I would consider something a little shorter.