My 76 Goldwing Bobber

Working on a facelift this weekend. A few months ago I snatched up a set of the same old harley split tanks I had already setup on this bike. They were brand new ones, bare metal. Once I'm finished re-fabricating the bottoms of them, I'll sand and polish the metal, then just seal with a clear coat (and redkote the inside). The original tanks I setup on here were just in terrible shape, massive dents and all filled with puddy. So there was no way I was going to be able to use them for a bare metal look.

So far so good, I've cut out both bottom ends of the tanks, and have already re-covered/welded one of them back up. Here's an idea of how it's going to look.

deathwing-metal-tanks.jpg

And if any of you are wondering how much work is involved to make tanks like this work on a goldwing ...

tank-1.jpg

tank-2.jpg

Also ordered a few new toys: New headlight (found this one was broken, looked like some rocks from the road destroyed it), drag bars (I've seriously gone through at least 4 different types of handlebars, still trying to find the right ones that look just right), and a new wiring loom. The original loom is a bit of a mess, and I'd like to try to start from scratch with a good one.

Makin progress. Made front brackets, and rigged up a removable sort of bracket in the rear of the tanks that keeps the tanks together at the rear. The front brackets are held in by a clevis pin/bolt. The whole concept is that if I were to break down on the side of the road and I need to get under the tanks or remove them (to fix wiring and replace fuse) that it would be easy to remove/lift the tanks.

Now that that's all good, I'm going to pick up some sort of bearings/similar to place between the front brackets and the frame. Should keep the front mount tight, while still able to pivot freely.

Also mounted the new headlight and bars. Minor stuff, but I think I finally landed on some bars that suit this bike. Loved the look of the clip ons but i could hardly turn the thing with em on.

deathwing-corner.jpg

deathwing-front.jpg

deathwing-left.jpg

deathwing-right.jpg

And a video to demonstrate the purpose of the mounts. (loosely)
https://youtu.be/VozjO4rlHWE

Looking great! How is the engine performing? I had a stock '77, and really loved the power curve - very controlled and predictable. Adding an electronic interface between the points and coils is all I would change. I burnt a lot of points before I finally found some condensers that weren't bad to start with.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Oh this thing runs strong and hard. I love it. The iDF 40 carbs were an amazing addition to power.

I'm running a Dyna S electronic ignition on it. I highly recommend it.

I have the components to build an electronic interface for my '75 in '78 frame. Dyna sounds great, but I like the idea of a system that can be quickly bypassed if needed. Mine has been on full stall for about three years (frame hanging from the garage ceiling, engine on furniture dolly....), but I just retired, so this winter the work on it resumes. Think I'll stay with the original carbs, since I've already cleaned and rebuilt them.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom