Honda CG Street Tracker with XR200 engine

cbrb

Hello All,

I thought I'd catalogue my first ever build. I'm a couple weeks into it but I'll post what's been done so far (not as much as I would have liked ha) over the coming week.

So, I have been after a small engined bike for some time, preferably a 125 for UK roads, I was really inspired with what CRD (Cafe Racer Dreams) did with a honda CG, whilst everyone is focusing on the larger CBs and BMW air heads it was refreshing to see a hair-drier street tracker ha.

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cg125

I managed to buy a Honda 1977 CG of ebay for a mere £270. Running but needed work. Specifically wanted a early CG, mainly for the aesthetic of the front end with the shrouds making it look a little more beefy, some nice little features like the steering lock and helmet lock on the top yoke.

As for the engine, I searched high and low for a slightly bigger output that would be a straight fit into the CG. i know, contradicting myself wanting a small bike but then needing a bigger engine, there are lots of hills on my way to work so needed a bit more grunt so hopefully I wont cause a tailback on the way ha. So after giving up on a CRF230 (which are like gold dust or massively expensive) I got hold of a 2001 XR200 engine (which I am told are also pretty rare??). Came in pretty good condition, looks like one of the head studs has sheared off so I'm missing a top nut, subsequently its blowing slightly through the head as its not completely tight, not a massive problem, shame you cant buy studs singularly on ebay...

Sorry about the pretty poor picture, its the only one I have before I stripped it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/115950808@N06/12220469274/

The photo link doesn't seem to be working for me. I'll be following along to see what you do with her. Good luck!

Apologies, still getting used to forums.

Here is the CG in all its glory.

qrzb.jpg

As I go on, all feedback and advise welcome. As this is my first build I am very much learning as I go...

Thanks!

As for inspiration... It's an amalgamation of a vintage tracker feel but with a clean touch.
For the colour I will mainly restore the original with grey drums / lower for legs and the rest in gloss black. For the tank I really want midnight navy with some sort of emblem. I'm thinking the original Honda wings. Something about them that I love. And the seat will be upholstered in tan long grain suede. The tan and lave will look smart against each other.

Below are some images I have picked from the bunch I have collected for inspiration over the last 6 months.

Love this Triumph by Mule Motorcycles, details are superb and partly where I stole the blue against black idea, although it really shouldn't work.

2afhnjs.jpg

The old HM wings

2enlyk1.jpg

I am really keen on Blitz Customs approach to the front end of the bikes, mainly the bars. Love the clean uncluttered look with mini switches replacing bulky switchgears and as much wiring as possible going through the bars.

26457cg.jpg

Bought a new tank off ebay, I really didn't like the look of the original CG so i bought a CB125s tank, pretty hard to find in pristine condition so picked this up with a few dents in it (nothing filler cant solve). I saw a guys bike on Instagram who had mixed a CG with this shaped tank and proportionally looked far better, I really like the offset filler and rib detailing down the middle.

205a6us.jpg

Used paint stripping gel. Really hassle free and no harsh fumes...

33w4myc.jpg

2rm339y.jpg

Stripped all plastics, seat and fender. All sold, raised some more cash on ebay for new parts.
Definitely going to change the rear for a 18" to even up the bike and so the seat sits horizontally.

First pic with the CB125 tank, going to reattach a little higher with a rubber bobbin so the seat and bottom of tank run parallel horizontally.

wwhe1j.jpg

CG engine out ready for rear tube and battery tray.

25zkope.jpg

Ground down the lugs and tabs for the plastics, cleaned up the rear end then completely stripped the frame with paint stripper/wire brush/and lots of elbow grease.

Had to post the obligatory man angle grinding ha

fw2fis.jpg

Mocked a battery tray to house a antigravity 4 cell, it will be a tight squeeze getting it between the tubes but should be fine. Because of the antigravity the tray is pretty shallow which is good. Wont be seen at eye level, only when you get down and close. Majority of the other electrical components will sit under the tank as there is loads of room with the CB tank.

105wuqe.jpg

Moved forward with the rear loop and battery tray. I was going to play around with some nice detailing to the tray i.e drilled sections but because it doesn't stick out too much I didn't want to draw attention to it. Once painted black it should be even more subtle.

bjaeqh.jpg

The loop had to be welded a little longer than I originally wanted so the indicator body can tuck in under the tube. I'll upload some photos of them once they arrive but the body is a little bigger but a cleaner profile that I was looking for.

28us6ww.jpg

14nlidf.jpg

24mfaeq.jpg

Just an update.

Reworked the mounting point on the tank, trimmed the metal mounting lip so the foam can sit up against the tank hiding the fitment. Just used a bobbin with wing nuts either end, pretty secure though.

33kfwqd.jpg

Mocked up then made a seat pan with a bit of heat to get it flush on the kick up. This will be secured using old mounting points with wing nuts.

244w5u9.jpg

23j5z4x.jpg

281pok.jpg

Ground the original headlight brackets off the shrouds and filled and smoothed them down, having a bates style mini headlight that is mounted through a bottom bracket to try keep the front 'tucked in' and clean as possible...

15eab9t.jpg

Fabricated a bracket for both the new re-positioned headlight and the indicators.

spayc1.jpg

205bbsj.jpg

2lmba5u.jpg

b4ajjb.jpg

ACUK said:
Really like what you are doing, where did you get the indicators from?

Hi ACUK, i got them from modern motorcycle company in Australia! I think they were manufactured by POSH Japan where i got my mini-switches and mirror (i'll post images soon). I have to say, really well made, top quality...

One thing though... these only have one wire connector instead of two that were originally on the bike... ??? Not sure how they'll work?!

Matty O said:
Can i also ask where you got your rear hoop? Or did you fabricate it?

I'm also from the UK.

Hi Maty O!

I got the loop off ebay... search sellers - oneoffwe

He's a top guy, been over to get some work done, bit of a magician with metal. Down & Out cafe racers use him for their builds. By the way, if he doesn't have your measurement drop him an email and he'll be able to accommodate.

thanks!

cbrb said:
Hi Maty O!

I got the loop off ebay... search sellers - oneoffwe

He's a top guy, been over to get some work done, bit of a magician with metal. Down & Out cafe racers use him for their builds. By the way, if he doesn't have your measurement drop him an email and he'll be able to accommodate.

thanks!

Cheers pal, big help thats going to be!

Any new pictures?

Back
Top Bottom