What did you build this week?

snmavridis said:
It was 100° plus humidity this weekend in my neck of the woods. At that point even pants are optional!

Yep same here 105 and 78% humid the deep south has been a hot pressure cooker for days... Nice rain today tho!

Swinging in a new roof top HVAC unit for a local Italian restaurant today. Only got to about 90 with 20% humidity...roof was white so not too bad.

IMG_20160627_095328716_HDR_zpsfvtuutaq.jpg

Tune-A-Fish said:
They call it the deep south here, never heard the term before moving here. Feel free to correct me tho
I won't give you a hard time about it. (My other degree is in Southern History ;) ) But Tennessee is considered Upper South. That's interesting that you're hearing people call it Deep South. Deep South refers to the cotton states and only the states that seceded before the attack on Fort Sumter. Tennessee, Virginia, and Arkansas are considered Upper South. They preferred to wait-and-see when it came to secession. Slave holding was significantly less prominent in Tennessee and they had much larger ties to the Union. Culturally, there is significant differences between Upper South and Deep South. Traditional architecture differs as well. Add in that 1/3 of Tennessee, on the Knoxville side, is actually culturally Upland South which has deep Scottish Highland roots as well as settlements from Germans and other Europeans that migrated through the Shenandoah Valley south. Much of the accent we hear in the South, particularly in the mountains, is a derivative of Scottish.

deviant said:
I won't give you a hard time about it. (My other degree is in Southern History ;) ) But Tennessee is considered Upper South. That's interesting that you're hearing people call it Deep South. Deep South refers to the cotton states and only the states that seceded before the attack on Fort Sumter. Tennessee, Virginia, and Arkansas are considered Upper South. They preferred to wait-and-see when it came to secession. Slave holding was significantly less prominent in Tennessee and they had much larger ties to the Union. Culturally, there is significant differences between Upper South and Deep South. Traditional architecture differs as well. Add in that 1/3 of Tennessee, on the Knoxville side, is actually culturally Upland South which has deep Scottish Highland roots as well as settlements from Germans and other Europeans that migrated through the Shenandoah Valley south. Much of the accent we hear in the South, particularly in the mountains, is a derivative of Scottish.

Man, I started working full time on my 16th birthday. anything south of St Louis is the south to me and we have cotton here but the people are majority Black.

24004.jpg

Tune-A-Fish said:
Man, I started working full time on my 16th birthday. anything south of St Louis is the south to me and we have cotton here but the people are majority Black.

24004.jpg
I started working full time at age 11. And yeah, Memphis is 2:1. In the top ten of the largest majorities in the country.

deviant said:
I started working full time at age 11. And yeah, Memphis is 2:1. In the top ten of the largest majorities in the country.

When did you find time to go to college, I worked 50 hours + and was dead at the end of the day, but I was working for myself by the time I was 20 and only worked a few years for anyone else other than taking welding jobs to subsidize winter lows. No PC's or internet school then man.

I'm not complaining at all, I have it good and my kid never went without, my wife has had a good run in energy jobs were not gonna die hungry lol

Tune-A-Fish said:
When did you find time to go to college, I worked 50 hours + and was dead at the end of the day, but I was working for myself by the time I was 20 and only worked a few years for anyone else other than taking welding jobs to subsidize winter lows. No PC's or internet school then man.
I grew up poor and with a single mother. I had no choice. Worked on a soybean farm until I could get job on the books at 15. Worked 55 hours a week through high school, then cooked in a kitchen and worked part-time for an electrical wholesaler in college. I got my associates in machine tool tech before I went to the U of South Carolina and machined pistons for Homelite to save up some money for down payments and whatnot. I worked at Michelin while getting the MTT degree. They paid for it. No internet school for me either. I just didn't sleep much. And you had to go to the library or a computer lab to use a computer. Internet started when I was in undergrad and it cost per minute. So none of that either.

deviant said:
I grew up poor and with a single mother. I had no choice. Worked on a soybean farm until I could get job on the books at 15. Worked 55 hours a week through high school, then cooked in a kitchen and worked part-time for an electrical wholesaler in college. I got my associates in machine tool tech before I went to the U of South Carolina and machined pistons for Homelite to save up some money for down payments and whatnot. I worked at Michelin while getting the MTT degree. They paid for it. No internet school for me either. I just didn't sleep much. And you had to go to the library or a computer lab to use a computer. Internet started when I was in undergrad and it cost per minute. So none of that either.

Hmmm I owned a farm and had beans and corn in rotation to prevent soil depletion and because the government tells you what and where to plant or no subsidy lol, but it was rented ground so I cared less... same same, we had shit for nothing 4 pork chops and five kids at dinner bla bla bla, I realized very young (youngest of five) that if I wanted something i was going to have to get it on my own. school seemed a waste of time until I needed to understand contract law.

Deviant we already talked about this! It's like you don't even love me! Peachtree City, bro.

What's funny is, down here in Deep Southern Louisiana, we basically consider anything above I-20 to be "way up north" ;)

Redbird said:
What's funny is, down here in Deep Southern Louisiana, we basically consider anything above I-20 to be "way up north" ;)
Thank god I live 1/2 mile off I-20. ;)

Yeah but new Orleans is sinking and I don't wanna swim. "Hey North, you're South, shut your big Mouth"

Back
Top Bottom