1981 GS850G Shafty+Brat= Shat? Bike in boxes special.

Hey was rebuilding the brakes and need to install a new valve cover and oil pan gasket.
Looks like forks might be coming off next. Stay tuned, I'll have some more updates shortly. T-minus 2 months before the wedding so things are getting busy.

Rebuild of the carbs was straight forward, great tutorial on basscliff. Also pick up the 650 manual if you don't already! Let me know if you have any specific questions as well.

10565247_10103227020931088_8584046776929016023_n.jpg

Next up replacing some gaskets and finishing brakes!

Progress was slow but things are picking up.

Have officially replaced all the gaskets. Electrical is nearly 100% taken care of. Finally got a headlight on and low and behold rode the gal around the block.

Biggest hurdle was getting the oem throttle cable to work with my aftermarket metal one. I stopped by a bicycle shop and two motoshops who all told me I was SOL. needless to say I finally took my grind wheel to the housing and filed it down until it fit. Awesome.

A few lose ends to get her back in shape. Through some grips on and started to polish. Finishing the polishing might be a winter project.

This weeks list includes welding up seat brakets, getting brake lights and turn signals sorted and finishing the seat. Hopefully I'll get her out to the Distinguished Gentleman's ride in Seattle this Sunday. Ambitious goal but if everything goes smoothly from here, I'll make it!

Looks like the mail man is dropping off my number plates today. Hopefully have a shot with those in the next few days. Woo!

5RhNI14.jpg

URWfRkm.jpg

Well I had one hell of a weekend. I decided Monday I had a shot to get this bike done and ridable by the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride today.

Lets see if I can recall everything that went down:

-Picked up turn signals and a stop light, welded up a bracket for the license plate
-Changed rear gear and fork fluids, balanced air in both forks
-Chased down why my blinkers wouldn't work (ended up swithching to a two pole flasher, worked like a charm)
-Welded up seat brackets
-Bled brakes
-Drained and reinstalled fuel tank
-Wired up the rear end of the bike

All in all, lots of little things but rode her out today. Had a few problems and i need to mess with the clutch a bit, but I am one happy camper

10557252_10103432090579868_4680032647684702437_n.jpg

10665075_10103432419081548_5947070379297389025_n.jpg

Happy Winter.

Hoop is going to wait, for the while unfortunately. It's the Dime City Cycle seat, decided my skateboard vinyl thing just made the bike look like ass.

Here she is as i'm currently putting miles on her. A few months back I put some brand new Honda hand controls on, and it worked like a charm. Since the stock unit tied the hand control to the throttle housing, I had to buy a seperate unit. This has been a major PITA and has not worked well. I ruined 2 throttle cables trying to jerry rig it so I am going back to stock so she's out of comish at the moment.

Next up is to paint the wheels!

W5kwmQe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom