1970 Greeves Griffon *VIDEO ADDED* With Questions

Re: 1970 Greeves Griffon

dave do you have the high tech pts cover band? hold mine on with a section of a 400 x18 inner tube...

And the inner tube duly installed!

Attachments

• photo (41).JPG
    photo (41).JPG
    109 KB · Views: 951

i wonder that is what they always used? wow a shiny new cover! how about the key ring to hold up the right peg to start the engine?

Key ring on!

Attachments

• photo (42).JPG
    photo (42).JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,394

Well I got my airbox painted. This was a test to see how the paint looks before I do the tank and side panels. I am very pleased with the result :) I am going to do my tank liner tomorrow then maybe on Friday I will paint the tank.

Attachments

• photo (43).JPG
    photo (43).JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,280

Not sure of the actual color, it is a Dupli-color spray can called Metal Specks blue. They only have one shade of blue in this particular paint and it is a very close match to the original Greeves Griffon color. I clear coated it with a Dupli-Color spray can too.

Got my side panels/number plates painted but a slight issue with the tank. I went to put on the last coats of primer and I ran out so I went to get another can and it was a different brand and it did not like going over the other primer so I have to sand the tank and primer it again before topcoat. The tank is becoming a bit of a pain as the thread for the petcock is mostly stripped out as well.

Attachments

• side panel.JPG
    side panel.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 361

Got my carb soda blasted and rebuilt, all new guts in it including the ethanol resistant float and valve.

Attachments

• carb.JPG
    carb.JPG
    535.2 KB · Views: 349

how is the body (bore) and flange…set float level ?

Bore is ok, slide was worn out so I fitted a new one. Haven't checked the float level yet, there is quite a broad range for the level from what I have read.

.060-.080…set it at .060. heat bowl and use an aluminum drift to move seat if it needs reset.
many amals are damaged from over tightening the flanges and then people surface the bent flanges flat but what they missed is the carburetor body is distorted also. a bullet is made to fit into the slide bore and cross drilled and threaded and a drilled flat plate is put on the flange with feeler gauges on both sides about .020 to start and continue to adjust until flange is flat at that time the bodies distortion is gone so now the slide does not stick or rub anymore…

I thought I had a near perfect expansion chamber for this bike it has no dents and just the normal surface rust and dirt.... or so i thought. Started to clean the old paint and rust off ready to repaint it and suddenly I'm in deep trouble, holes started to appear from rust inside the pipe :mad: Now I will have to make a new pipe, I already got the templates made and ordered 1 3/4" mandrel bends for the header pipe.

Attachments

• photo (49).JPG
    photo (49).JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 352
  • photo (48).JPG
    photo (48).JPG
    662.3 KB · Views: 343
  • photo (47).JPG
    photo (47).JPG
    695.2 KB · Views: 375

Got my tank painted today :) Before and after.

Attachments

• photo (28) (1).JPG
    photo (28) (1).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 969
  • photo 1 (16).JPG
    photo 1 (16).JPG
    630.6 KB · Views: 355
Back
Top Bottom