PIPES AND PODS

Hey guys, I just picked up a 1979 Suzuki GS850. Needs a little work and I'm just looking for ideas. It doesn't have any mufflers on it, and the airbox is gone. Wondering what/if I would have to mess with the carbs if I only added pods and left the pipes open ended. I figure it would run lean but I don't want to waste my money on anything until I get a better opinion on it. Ive got mufflers for it off a 78 cb750 but I like the look and sound of the straight pipes. Would just extending the pipes further back make a difference? Thanks.

you can't run straight pipes on the street ::), not without being a complete asshole
don't be one,please
the best thing you could do is get all the stock parts for it and get it running like it should
that said is it in good running condition ?
does it have cv or slide valve carbs?

Yes it is in good running condition. And I want to run pods on it, much cheaper. Slide valve carbs. And I do have pipes for it that I decided I am going to put on.

well small cheap pods are worthless,they don't protect the engine,they will effect carb settings more than quality large clamp on filters like k&n or uni AND they will rob you of power even if you do have the skill and time and money to tune properly with them
so in my opinion you are miles ahead spending the money on good filters

the k&n's cost over 150 but money well spent
media.nl

Welcome fellow GS'r.. You will most definitly need to rejet for pods and open or modified exhaust... how much and what recipe, every bike is different... "2" 79 gs 850s with the same pods and exhaust may require different tweaks... The good, your bike has VM26 carbs, much easier to tune than later model CV carbs...

I would advise doing this....
1. check valve clearances and reshim as necesary.
2. pull carbs apart, get new bowl and top gasket (Z1 Enterprises) and a carb oring kit (cycle orings i think is the vendor), unless brass bits are trashed you wont gain anything from a rebuild kit... soak carbs in a good quality carb dip 24 hrs each. blow out with compressed air, all passages.
3. check carb to head rubber boots.. hard and cracking? replace (about $130 for a set of 4)... soft, no cracks, replace oring.
4. exhaust, run mufflers for now so you have some back pressure and your tuning will be sooooo much easier... its better to get it running as close to stock as possible then make small mods that you can then understand the effects of the mod...

go here, download a manual and read... read, and reread all the tutorials on the site..... wealth of knowledge...
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

I work at a motorsports dealership so I can get a full set of UNI pods for only $66. I'm going with them. And all the other components of the carb are in mint condition. And with the pipes

Back
Top Bottom